Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

shaft for Volcano SV shock rebuild

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

shaft for Volcano SV shock rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:04 AM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shaft for Volcano SV shock rebuild

Anyone know if you can get the shaft for the Volcano SV stock shock? I have a couple bent shafts. I have some spare shocks to use for now, but would really like to repair them instead of completely replacing them. If not available as a Redcat part, does anyone know of an equivalent from another manufacturer?

OK, gotta go now - sun is shinin' and it's time to start bashin'
Old 04-06-2008, 01:34 PM
webbl19

Default RE: shaft for Volcano SV shock rebuild

Im not sure if they have the parts to rebuild your shocks. I would invest in the aluminum shocks they got. Or the Tmaxx i do believe are what other people were using. If you look around the forum here there has a been a few people to put them on and they liked them alot.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:11 PM
perhamrocks

i use the t-maxx ones now and they are a huge improvment, you can get them from a store on ebay for $30 pm me if you want the link.
But if i was u i would place the bent shaft on a board and lightly pound on it till it's strait, that's what i did when i bent my old shocks and they still work fine, buth then u have to find some shock oil to replcae the lost stuff, or just use 3 in 1 oil like I did which is alot cheaper
Old 04-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Redharris

Those stock plastic shocks are Theoretically rebuildable, but it is Practically impossible to do it without breaking something, and its a REAL pain in the Butt!
The Redcat aluminum upgrades would be the easiest solution for you, as the are easy to take apart n fix.
The Tmax shocks would be the BEST solution. Work Great AND easy to repair/get parts for.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:17 AM
bkfamily1

I rebuilt the stock shocks last night. It was not so bad. Thanks to chubbysuncle for the almost 2 year old post with photos. But 4 had bent shafts. I put 2 new complete shocks I had on and used 2 that I straightened. I am thinking that any shaft with the same diameter and stroke length will work. Worst case, I would also have to buy and use the E clips and "plates" as well since most other shafts seem to use that kind of setup. I did see a few Duratrax with both ends threaded like the Volcano. I guess I will go down to the LHS and see what I can find. I will probably go ahead and replace them with TMaxx shocks or some other replacement. At $10 per pair for the basic 08001 shocks, it is not worth it to buy them for parts. And I hesitate to buy the aluminum ones at $13 a pair when we can not get the repair parts for them either. I can get a complete set of 8 alloy TMaxx big bore shocks for $70 or less. And then I can get parts to repair them. A couple of mine needed the little rubber "dimple" in the top replaced which you also can not get without buying the whole shock. And as chubbysuncle pointed out, the seal in the bottom is pretty much impossible to remove and replace as it is held in place by an internal metal retainer. And it seems that individual components are not available. My son had a TMaxx a couple years ago, and we were able to replace and upgrade all the individual parts.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Kemo

These are a little on the spendy side, but they are definitely worth the money when compared to the original traxxas tmaxx shocks (plastic)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSP65&P=Z

I've tried the Integy brand shocks for the tmaxx, I do not suggest those at all! They are too expensive for one, and the shafts seemed to bend easily.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:13 AM
bkfamily1

Kemo - at $63 for the set, that is only $16 per pair. Maybe a bit pricey versus the Redcats, but if you can get parts for them (shafts, O rings, caps, etc), I would think they are cheaper in the long run by far. Do you have those shocks on a Volcano SV? Any issues getting them mounted? Do they clear the front lower arm OK where they go "inside" the arm?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2008, 01:27 PM
perhamrocks

i'd stick with the regular t-maxx shock they have a plastic oil casing, but what's the big deal cause you are not going to break the casing, really only thing ur going to have problem wiith is bending the shafts on them, and the alluminum bodied ones will have the same problem of bending the shafts. The placstic one's are also adjustable too as long as you buy the package for $30 with spacers. So the plastic ones are a MUCH BETTER DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:11 PM
bkfamily1

Perham,

I agree that plastic stock shocks woul be fine. Did you see a full set of 8 somewhere for $30? If so, do you have a link? The best I have found is about $13 for 2 or $52 for a full set of 8. The big bore shocks with a metal body are $64 for a full set.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:02 AM
bkfamily1

Well thanks to Perham, I am now the proud owner of a set of stock TMaxx shocks brand new from ebay. And yes, I got in for under $30. It seems there must be some shops/dealers taking the stock shocks off Tmaxxes and upgrading them for sale, then selling the stock sets new. Whatever the reason, the price is right. And now I can get spare seals, shafts, caps, etc.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:41 PM
perhamrocks

ur welcome