Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Where to buy Redcat Buggy? Hurricane RTM or XP?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Where to buy Redcat Buggy? Hurricane RTM or XP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 07:13 PM
huminski
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy Redcat Buggy? Hurricane RTM or XP?

After exhaustive reading I'm sold on the Hurricane. I'm still deciding whether to go with the RTR XP or get the RTM and put a better spektrum radio in it. I also hope to race it and read that I'll need a .21 since the .28 is illegal to race in a lot of places, another reason to get the RTM and put my own motor in it. I only want to race for fun, is there anywhere you can race a .28? I'm in southern NJ.

Anyway, other than ebay and redcatracing.com, dealers seem to be few and far between.

Where's the best place to buy?

How hard is it to get parts support when something breaks?

Lastly, is this a clone of any other buggy out there? Meaning, are there more readily available parts that will fit on the Hurricane?

Please help me out if you can, thanks!!

Steve
Old 10-09-2008, 07:34 PM
amf66

Default RE: Where to buy Redcat Buggy? Hurricane RTM or XP?

Heres a link to a thread on various dealers: [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7834636/tm.htm[/link]. To answer the clone question I'm pretty sure the Hurricane is a clone of the Kyosho MP777.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:13 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the buggy is a clone of the kyosho but dont think you can put kyosho parts on it...THEY WILL NOT FIT!!!....hsp makes the hurricane and its the same buggy as the exceed Razor and himoto torpeda....so if you have trouble finding parts (you shouldnt) you can look to the others for parts, they are the same part #... I have 2 of these buggies and they are pretty tuff...my question is are you new to rc??..if you are I would buy the rtr and learn to tune on the sh.28...once you got an idea what your doing then I would go for your race engine....as far as is there tracks that will let you run a .28, that all depends on your local tracks...some will some wont...go to the tracks you want to race at and find out about the rules...I dont know how competative the buggy would be.. its an older design and its heavier then the newer buggies....not knocking the buggy...like I said I have 2 of them and they are really good bashers...If you do purchase one make sure you locktite all the screws that go into metal, only real trouble I've had with my buggies was pulling the threads on the front knuckles..since I started putting tire glue on the threads of the screws I've had no problems...if you have any troubles let me know and I'll help out the best I can

were to buy?...I've had nothing but good luck with allaboutfunhobbies
Old 10-09-2008, 10:34 PM
chevyderek72

ya allaboutfun is a great guy to deal with, and i think his prices are pretty low, go with him.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:06 AM
{GBI}Harryball

www.allaboutfunhobbies.com

Good dealer, easy to work with aswell. If you end up getting the CANE. Follow firbirds instructions.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:14 PM
huminski

Thanks guys.

I'm not new to RC at all, I'm 32 now I started racing electric on road when I was about 10 I guess. I got out of racing in high school but still had a few cars I bashed around. When I was 21 or so I picked up a used RC10GT which was my first gas vehicle. I've had since then a bunch of cars, ofna pirates, hpi RS4's, etc. I stopped again with the cars about 5 years ago I guess. I still have 2 cars right now, they're both vintage Losi's, a JRX2 and a JRXT, both the original models with the 4 link rear suspension and flat pan graphite chassis. I keep them aound for nostalic reasons. The first car I bought myself was a JRX2 in about 1990. It was later stolen (loaned out then disappeared kinda thing) and I never forgot about it, so I eventually found one that was in great shape on ebay. I picked it up, cleaned it up, put a new chassis on it, and it now sits ready to run. I picked up the JRXT a bit later, it's also in absolutely awesome shape but I actually run that one now and then so it's not as mint as the JRX2.

I almost bought a used Tornado XP from craigslist this week, but the seller backed out, it was a great deal too. Anyway, while researching the tornado I came across the redcat forum here on RCU and decided I would probably like the hurricane more, I've never had an 1/8 scale, all my RC up till now has been 1/10. For $260 RTR, the hurricane looks like a great deal. I'll be mostly bashing around, I live near a lot of woods and sand pits so I have lots of places to go and tear it up.

I also fly planes and helis, still into that never lost the bug there since I started flying in about 1997.

So to answer the question above, no, I'm not new to RC, just getting back into the cars is all.

I'm thinking of getting the RTM because I'd like to pick up a decent FM or Spektrum radio, I've heard bad things about the AM that comes with the RTR. Still undecided as to exactly what I'm going to get.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

type redcat hurricane in a google search. You will find some killer deals.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:57 PM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: tihstae

ya allaboutfun is a great guy to deal with, and i think his prices are pretty low, go with him.
Oh hell yeah! This guy is a SUPER nice guy. I am buying parts cheaper from him than Redcat. He is the type of person that will go out of his way to help you out and get you running.I used to buy parts directly from Redcat, but ever since we did our first business transaction, he's the only one I go to now for Redcat parts. He can get his prices low.
KUDOS to AllAboutFun!
Trust me, you won't be dissapointed.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:08 PM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: huminski
I'm thinking of getting the RTM because I'd like to pick up a decent FM or Spektrum radio, I've heard bad things about the AM that comes with the RTR. Still undecided as to exactly what I'm going to get.
If you have your own radio and en engine, I would go fot the RTM kits. I have only bought the 1/16 tremor kits, but I am sure they all come with the same things. Which is everything.
The only thing I have seen wrong with the 1/16 tremors are the diff gears. They are not built right. The gear mesh is way off. I am having to tear them down and go back over them either by adding more shims or taking out shims. I beleive that is what caused the input shaft to shear(strip) in about 5 minutes of runtime. That and possibly using a SH-12 instead of the SH-07.

But the prices on the RTM kits are good.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:30 PM
firebird78

I dont know how much difference money wise the rtm is then the rtr...I still say buy the rtr and if your just mostly bashing in the woods you will like the sh.28...Dennis (chubbysdad) led me on into putting a xtm 457 6 port sleeve in the sh...brings that engine to life and is a whole lotta fun...you will love the hurricane for bashing, but to be honest I wouldnt try to race one after Tony (harryball) kinda talked me into buying a buggy with pbs....but I still have my hsp buggies and still run them..
Old 10-10-2008, 05:38 PM
huminski

does the pivot ball front end make that much of a difference?

Isn't there a himoto buggy with a pbs setup and a .28 for about the same price?
Old 10-10-2008, 05:52 PM
firebird78

I have the himoto rxb-1 also...in my opinion it handles alot better...its much easier and faster to work on...it costs a bit more then a hurricane and it comes with the sh.21> I cannot knock the hurricane though cause they are nice buggies I still enjoy mine
Old 10-11-2008, 10:39 AM
{GBI}Harryball

ORIGINAL: huminski

does the pivot ball front end make that much of a difference?

Isn't there a himoto buggy with a pbs setup and a .28 for about the same price?
I perfer the PBS front end. Im not a big fan of the c-hub or kindpin designed front ends. Its my preference. Some will not share my opinion. I race my RXB-1 and love the control and durability of the PBS. To answere your second question. The RXB-1 comes with the sh .21. Trust me when i say it has plenty of power. I have the go tech .21 in mine and it flys. Of course any RTR will need to have the servos and electronics upgraded.