Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Landslide issues "HELP!"

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 03:15 PM
perhamrocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landslide issues "HELP!"

ok i started breaking in my landslide and when i started it up the wheels werent spinning so i thought my idle was just set too low, but then my clutchbell started smoking so i shut it down. I noticed that the wheels wont spin forward. it's not the diffs because my wheels will still spin opposite directions of each other. WHATS THE PROBLEM? Is it my transmission or is it my clutchbell?

Edit: i took my tranny off and that is fine and so is my clutchbell. my rear differential wont go forward, but the tires will still spin opposite directions of each other
Old 10-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Landslide issues "HELP!"

do the rpm's come up? might just be too rich not enough to make it go. Does the clutchbell spin freely?
Old 10-19-2008, 09:18 PM
el_tonto

Sounds like you'll need to remove the rear diff. Perhaps the teeth have sheared off and are now wedged in between the outside of the diff to the plastic casing which houses it.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:17 PM
perhamrocks

ok long story short i put it together wrong and i found the problem that was no big deal. But now when i started to do my second tank of break-in my car is at a real hight idle, i tried adjusting the idle, high speed needle, and low speed needle at different times, but i still couldn't fix it. What's the problem?
Old 10-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Redcat Nick

Check the throttle trim on the radio. Sounds like it is holding the carb open to much
Old 10-24-2008, 05:27 PM
perhamrocks

no i checked that it still opens and closes the throttle, and it was in the middle where i want it, it seems that the idle screw wont move the throttle in the carb i think.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

your opening should be about 1 mm . In your last post it says half way. If the idle screw wont work, then you have it to far open.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Redcat Nick

I think that the throttle trim is holding open the carb a little that is why it is idling high. turn down the throttle trim a little
Old 10-25-2008, 07:18 AM
SAVAGEJIM

As for tuning and break-in, check out the first instructional post in this link. It is a long read, but it is very educational and informative. This can help you in toubleshooting your engine.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5517128/tm.htm

Old 10-25-2008, 07:36 AM
SAVAGEJIM

If possible, can you also post a vid or sound recording of your engine? The sounds and teh pitch of teh engine will tell us millions of what might be wong when it is idling.

Here are some vids, also very instructional, but also includes sounds of the engine to help you recognize the tuining cues. If you engine sounds like this, then your eingine is actually in good tune and running fine. But if it sounds differently, yes, something is wrong.

Here is what a typical big block should sound like under various running conditions: idle, running, and under various needle settings, improper and proper settings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMz...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJ...eature=related

Here is a vid of what a small block engine should sound like at idle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeFpJ...eature=related

Here is a fellow HSP vehicle running, though it is not a Redcat, it migt be an RC you are probably more familiar with.
In this vid, the engine is revving and idleing (though probably a bit high). Listen to the sound of this engine throughout the trigegr pull range as the guy goes from idle to probably about half or 3/4 trigger pull. (Never mind the part that he destoyed his RC wheels, it is the sounds you want to listen to).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWMDn...eature=related
Old 10-25-2008, 11:29 AM
perhamrocks

ORIGINAL: Chubbysdad

your opening should be about 1 mm . In your last post it says half way. If the idle screw wont work, then you have it to far open.
yes i already know that, and the opening wasnt half way the trim was at halfway on the controller, it seems like my idle screw isnt' changing the size of the opening, and yes the controller and car was on when i tried this.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:40 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Listen, I've had this problem happen on several of the slide carbs. if you screw the screw in too far it will make the carb hang, if you don't have it screwed in far enough it won't make any change. take the screw out, all the way out, inspect the screw to make sure it's not broken off. Turn your trim knob make sure the carb moves freely, set it back to center, work the throttle make sure the carb opens and closes all the way. put the screw back in and adjust it till the carb hangs, now back it off about a half turn, maybe a tiny bit more or less and you should be good.