Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

racer

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 04:52 PM
scrambles12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default racer

witch would be better a redcat xtr or a redcat lightning
Old 10-27-2008, 04:55 PM
amf66

Default RE: racer

Definately the Lightning, it's bigger and more durable than the XTR. Probably faster too. The 1/16ths are known for have problems with their diffs too.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:33 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lightning hands down....
Old 10-27-2008, 06:38 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Ya lightning no question. makes a good drift car too.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:35 PM
scrambles12

k i think the xtr looks cool though is the site a good place to buy them or is there a cheaper place.also is a 4 wheel drive harded to maintain than a 2 wheel drive
Old 10-28-2008, 03:18 AM
jpilkinton

If you do decide to get the 1/16 scale nitro buggy, there are a few things you need to do before running it for the first time. From my experience with these, it is a must.
You will need to remove the front and rear diff gearboxes and check the gear mesh in both diff's. I always had to add at least 1 to 4 shims on the diff bearings to get the gears to mesh more. You don't want them so tight that you can feel each tooth when you turn the axle by hand. Just right before that feel. You may have to order more shims from the website. I know I had to take the shims out of another gearbox and add them to the rear to get them to mesh correctly.
You will also need some very small o-rings and insert one in each drive cup to take up the slack(or play) in the dogbones. Fuel tubing is good to use instead of o-rings also.
Don't get me wrong, I love the 1/16 nitros... they haul butt and are fun to drive, but they need some attention in these areas before running for the first time. This will save you a lot of headaches in the end.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:50 PM
scrambles12

wat about the 1/10 same problem.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

durability and less maintanance is as follows....least durability and more maintanance 1/16th....then the 1/10ths...1/8ths are a lil more money (and I mean little and worth every penny) less maintance and more durability...also 3 diffs is easier to maintain then 2 spd....

as I said in the previous post...lightning hands down....best on-road car redcat offers
Old 10-28-2008, 09:25 PM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: firebird78

durability and less maintanance is as follows....least durability and more maintanance 1/16th....then the 1/10ths...1/8ths are a lil more money (and I mean little and worth every penny) less maintance and more durability...also 3 diffs is easier to maintain then 2 spd....

as I said in the previous post...lightning hands down....best on-road car redcat offers
Gotta agree with you one this one. I don't know for sure about the durability part since I haven't been bashing or jumping at all. But the maintenance is quite a bit more than any other car or truck or buggy.
But being this is your first nitro, I would go with the lightning too. Because you might get ticked off from the things you have to do to keep these 1/16's running. But if you take your time and check each point on the car and correct any issues, you won't have so many headaches.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:32 AM
scrambles12

k cool i have a nitro car already its the xtm x-cellerator and i love it its really fun and durable except its not 4 wheel drive.also could u explain wat the differentials are i think i know but im not quite sure.also wat are shims cuz ive heard of those to
Old 11-11-2008, 11:09 AM
flaco69

redcat lighting [img][/img]
Old 11-11-2008, 04:28 PM
scrambles12

is ur lightning fast then