Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Another nitro truck(or car) in the works....

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Another nitro truck(or car) in the works....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:34 PM
jpilkinton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another nitro truck(or car) in the works....

Here is a short clip of another truck(or car) I am working on for my oldest daughter. Being as this is her first nitro, the Infinity .5cc nitro engine will be just perfect for her. Notice my new exhaust pipe??? It is actually a air line pressure release tip that has screen mesh. I also reversed the exhaust manifold exit. It was pretty loud! I loved it. It ran pretty good without a pressure nipple on the exhaust. I noticed that in the sportworks chaos manual it said something about removing the pressure line off of the exhaust to get better idle and such. This I will try and see.
I did away with the pullstart and rotostart. I have only had problems with the oneway bearing so I have the engine mounted so I could use my trusty donut starter motor.
Everytime I try to start these or any engine in fact, I usually have to go chase my rubber donut around the yard where it flies off the motor and goes shooting off in the yard, LOL!

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFLIwEn51-c
Old 10-28-2008, 06:53 PM
amf66

Default RE: Another nitro truck(or car) in the works....

Looks good so far! Will this one have brakes?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:18 PM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: amf66

Looks good so far! Will this one have brakes?
LMAO! Oh yeah! Got to have brakes on this one. LOL!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 PM
chevyderek72

looks good man, i wish i could make stuff like that, i dont have the tools or the patience haha
Old 10-28-2008, 08:17 PM
scrambles12

it looks really long is it supposed to be that long.also good choice on the engine 4 a beginer
Old 10-28-2008, 09:35 PM
el_tonto

did you pick a body first this time? which one are you gonna use?

For a beginner driver, I'd build up a solid front bumper (or maybe one that will collapse like a crumple zone?) on this one to try to preserve the front arms on a head-on impact with a curb (we've all been there...) and I'd consider a rollbar too, or bracing on the shock uprights in the event of a cartwheel/rollover.

What's the main driveshaft? 4mm or 5mm? I'd strongly consider a slipper arrangement on there too, in case your daughter tries to 'power out' of a sticky situation. A slipper will preserve the driveline.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:37 PM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: scrambles12

it looks really long is it supposed to be that long.also good choice on the engine 4 a beginer
Well, yeah. It is a 1/10 scale size now. I stood this chassis next to the other one I did with the body on it and got my wheelbase corrected on this new project.
From center to center of the wheels is: 10 3/4"
And that was the length between the center of the front fenderwell and the center of the rear fenderwell.
On the engine, yeah I thought that would be a good idea to use one of those .5cc nitros.
I have 5 of them actually.....
I will have to let her play around with my XMods truck so she can get the feel of the controller while driving it in the house.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:45 PM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: el_tonto

For a beginner driver, I'd build up a solid front bumper (or maybe one that will collapse like a crumple zone?) on this one to try to preserve the front arms on a head-on impact with a curb (we've all been there...) and I'd consider a rollbar too, or bracing on the shock uprights in the event of a cartwheel/rollover.

What's the main driveshaft? 4mm or 5mm? I'd strongly consider a slipper arrangement on there too, in case your daughter tries to 'power out' of a sticky situation. A slipper will preserve the driveline.
Oh yeah, wasn't gonna make that same mistake twice! I used the body off of my street truck and did the measurements that way. I will get the same style of body, but just a different paint scheme. Yeah I will need to find a bumper that will cover most of the front tires from impact. The main shaft is 4mm me thinks. And now that you mention it, I do have a slipper spur gear. That's a good idea. Didn't think about that. That will be super easy to drop in. Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:20 AM
scrambles12

ORIGINAL: el_tonto

ya 4 realz i have broken my front right tire off twice now.but im alot better now like i always hit the jump straight on
Old 11-01-2008, 06:33 PM
jpilkinton

I finished a few more things on the truck. Added some fuel and fired her up. My daughter did great with the video! She is very excited. All I have left to do is mount the rx, batteries, finish her exhaust(this one blows oil everywhere and is loud) and order her a body. I love the bump start thing. I will never have a pull start again! It fired up so easy.
She needs some more tuning since she is really rich. Man these engines scream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyAuhxOEe4I
Old 11-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Great Job!!! You the man. You should work for redcat and they could use your new design lol..
Old 11-01-2008, 08:20 PM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: Chubbysdad

Great Job!!! You the man. You should work for redcat and they could use your new design lol..
That would be awesome. Thanks man. I'm trying different types of exhausts right now. Too bad it's late or I would fire her up again. I'll get more video of it tommorrow.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:34 PM
scrambles12

ya pretty sweet