Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Dammit Redcat, stop messing with my expectations!

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Dammit Redcat, stop messing with my expectations!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:41 PM
AmoebaCowboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dammit Redcat, stop messing with my expectations!

Dammit Redcat! Stop playing with my head.

So as some of you may know, I got a new Redcat Monsoon a couple of weeks ago and have been taking my time putting in my own electronics, servos & breaking in the engine. Aside from a couple of slow figure 8's during the break-in I have yet to drive it for longer than a couple of minutes. The winter weather up here in the Northwest means I spent a lot of time waterproofing things and it hasn't been dry enough outside to let it loose without facing some grueling clean-up afterwards.

So, yesterday I take it apart to get the front/center/rear diffs off & put in my usual 5k-7k-3k weight setup.You know how practically every RTR in the world regardless of brand comes with grease in the diffs? I've never heard of an RTR not using grease. I mean, they have to shave costs where they can to offer you a complete kit at a good price right? Especially the "low end" brands which Redcat gets lumped into for some reason. I get everything pulled off and all my tools lined up and take apart the center diff to clean out the grease.

There is diff fluid in my center diff. WTH?!

There is diff fluid in my front... and in the rear too. In fact, not only is there already fluid in all diffs, it appears to be about the same weights as I was going to put in myself... and the right amount of fluid too.

Okay, this is not what I expected from a ~$350 RTR truggy. The AM radio and cheap servos I can understand, even expect. Likewise, I knew going in about the elongated clutchbell and weak ackerman plate. But everything else has been above and beyond my expectations. This truggy is beefy, well engineered, and not what I envisioned when picking up a supposed "low end" 1/8 truggy. I wasn't supposed to be impressed by what I got. I went over this thing with a friend who has a Losi 8ight-T and even he looked a little bewildered... kept asking me "wait, it cost how much?"

The diff fluid is the last straw. I may have to buy more of your products now, that new Rampage may just be my first 1/5. Damn you Redcat.

Damn you to heck.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:48 PM
vnmsgt

Default RE: Dammit Redcat, stop messing with my expectations!

Just keep up on your maintenance and you should be very happy with the monsoon. It is the people that think they can just go out and run and run and run and never do anything and then stuff starts falling off and say that it is junk. If they would do what they are supposed to in the first place they would not have half the problems they do.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:03 PM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do apologize that the Monsoon was far above your expectations. We will try to only meet your expectations next time.

Darin
Old 11-26-2008, 07:20 PM
ssrc30

Well said lol...........
Old 11-27-2008, 01:25 AM
AmoebaCowboy

ORIGINAL: RedcatRacing

I do apologize that the Monsoon was far above your expectations. We will try to only meet your expectations next time.

Darin
Heh. I thought you might like my little rant. I love that what I got is slightly different than what was listed in the reviews I read. As in, you are obviously updating the model as time progresses with newer tech & addressing previous issues or replacing some things with hopped-up parts as your supplier costs drop. My only real beef (aside from that ackerman plate) is that the documentation isn't up to date on what minor tweaks have been made. What is the weight of the diff fluid you put in anyway?

Old 11-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

weight of the diff fluid lol.. . Chinese talk it is ()*&^%$#(*&^ which in English is converted to sludge Change it!!

ALso make sure you change out the stock clutchbell to the 11 or 12. The 12 is better in my opinion.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:44 PM
AmoebaCowboy

Already changed the clutchbell to a 12. And I see no reason to change the existing diff fluid if the weights are near what I'm looking for. Diff fluid isn't rocket science, it's a set viscosity value that doesn't breakdown or change under pressure/heat. It appears to be standard diff fluid, not some weird chinese approximation.

So Darin? Care to share the details?
Old 11-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

just trying to help. Chinese fluids are not the greatest but thats your choice.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:03 PM
farty nooper

amoebacowboy, bought a rampage a month ago and its an awesome truck you have to put in new servos,aluminum gear plate,mcd diff gears and mcd dog bones but once you do that you have an awesome truck!!! You are correct that redcat sometimes gets a bad wrap,however they are creating quite a big following. When you decide to purchase one go to Rampagehopups.com. The owners name is rob mikula and he is all about costumer service. He spent tons of time walking me through any problems or installation issues i had. He is a great guy and will continue to help you long after your purchase. When you call tell him craig from ct recommended him. He also makes a few aftermarket parts for the rampage. i also recommend getting a mod motor or a 28.5 head kit because the 23cc dosent have enough power to get the best performance out of it due to the massive tires. If you have any questions contact rob or post them and i will do my best to answer them. I think your best bet would be rob but any basic ones i can probably answer . good luck. "ONCE YOU GO GAS YOU DONT LOOK BACK"

Old 12-03-2008, 06:13 PM
bigpurv74

hey do u guys know if the tectonic by exceed has fluid n the diff case or what i know that excced and redcat are part of hsp
Old 06-29-2009, 05:43 PM
2many2count

I hate to say this but redcat gets a bad rap cause they deserve it....I have purchased 2 different redcats and both have had more problems. I never have purchased a redcat I can take out and play with first time. I always have to email and call redcat to make something right. I have purchased new cen, new losi, new sportswork, and omw many other new vehicles and never had to contact company at all for anything. But I get a redcat and here I go back to company to fix things after months of run around last time I even thoguht twice before this purchase. I read up and thought ok I will give it a chance I wanted the rampage so bad...but now I am wishing I never seen it. I am sorry to say but that is how redcat gets a bad rap is lack of quality and crappy customer service afterwards. I will be contacting them again I am very upset and dissatisfied that aftet that much money in a rampage and I have a dust collector to sit on my shelf....I wanted a truck I could enjoy. I guess we will see what redcat will do now I will post the results when I recieve them. I think people have the right to know whole story not particial so please keep looking I may have to post several times and I will if need be.