Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:06 PM
ZWJATO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano troubles

Today was the first time I tried my Volcano. I have never had a redcat product, but have quite a bit of experience with nitro R/C's, mostly Traxxas products.

So I was wanting to break it in today and went through what I thought were the standard procedures.

Put in new glow plug
Check all servos
Fill with fuel
Check glow stick
prime fuel system
install glow stick
pull start

I pulled the starter probably 50 times, taking a few breaks in between. Never even sputtered or fired or nothing. Then after a little bit the driveline starting coming apart!

The clutch bell and flywheel are LOOSE! I can't see what holding the clutch bell on the end but it's loose. Its not lining up with the other gears and it's kinda silly to have to take the whole thing apart before I even get to run the car!

What can Redcat do about this?

Thank you. Feel free to contact me by replying to this forum or emailing [email protected]. Ive heard good things about redcat, their cars, and customer service. Hopefully this can be resolved.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:41 AM
natanddiane

Default RE: Volcano troubles

you have to prime the fuel line to the engine. You do this by blowing air into the fuel tank with a seperate hose not used for fuel. ( found fish tank air line tubing works..) Blow into the tank gently, until all the air is out of the line, She'll start,

As far as the driveline coming apart.. it will. Just be greatful it did not decompose at speed like mine did, and parts all over the yard! You have to loctite everything in blue loctite, EXCEPT the motormount screws to the engine, and the exhaust screws. They need RED locktite. The clutch end bell needs blue, as well as the flywheel mopunt screw. These things will fly apart.. Redcat does not use thread locker. They expect us to do that...

Good luck...
Old 11-30-2008, 10:49 AM
stallone11

ORIGINAL: ZWJATO

Today was the first time I tried my Volcano. I have never had a redcat product, but have quite a bit of experience with nitro R/C's, mostly Traxxas products.

So I was wanting to break it in today and went through what I thought were the standard procedures.

Put in new glow plug
Check all servos
Fill with fuel
Check glow stick
prime fuel system
install glow stick
pull start

I pulled the starter probably 50 times, taking a few breaks in between. Never even sputtered or fired or nothing. Then after a little bit the driveline starting coming apart!

The clutch bell and flywheel are LOOSE! I can't see what holding the clutch bell on the end but it's loose. Its not lining up with the other gears and it's kinda silly to have to take the whole thing apart before I even get to run the car!

Thank you. Feel free to contact me by replying to this forum or emailing [email protected]. Ive heard good things about redcat, their cars, and customer service. Hopefully this can be resolved.

Even if your truck is new, have you check if your engine glow plug work good? To do that, just gently remove the glow plug with the special tool include in the starter kit (maybe you haven't buy the start kit because you have been owner of other nitro vehicule!). If you don't have this kit, just use your own tool to remove it. Then, take care to not burn your finger and put your glow plug igniter on the glow plug and see if there is any sign of heat and orange-yellow color under the glow plug. To do that, you must be sure that your glow plug igniter is fully charge!!! Sorry for this stupid check up, but i have done several time glow plug verification in the past without to be sure that glow plug igniter was fully charged! So this situation may give false negative result. Ok, so if your glow plug doesn't give any sigh of heat or color, your problem is find. If the glow plug is ok, take your time to see inside the hole where the glow plug goes on the engine and look if there is a lot of nitro fuel on the top of piston. Because if there is too many fuel this may cause hard starting. For myself, i use air compressor and gntly blow up air in the hole to remove some nitro fuel from the top of the piston. Then replace your glow plug and verify this: remove the air filter on the carburator, you should have only 1 mm of space to let air enter the engine. If you have less or more, find the little screw under the air filter and turn clockwise to increase the space and couterclockwise to decrease the space inside the carb.

So i am sorry for this long reply, but i am hope to have help you with that! Maybe i have give you informations that you already know, if it's the case, this infos may help other person from this forum.

If you need more specific help or specific questions, just ask and i will try to help!

Merry Christmas time!

Sebastien

Nitro Speed R/C

Old 11-30-2008, 12:00 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: ZWJATO

Put in new glow plug
Check all servos
Fill with fuel
Check glow stick
prime fuel system
install glow stick
pull start

Sounds like you did everything right. However I would deffinatly check the glow plug and your glow plug inginter to make sure that the glow plug is working and the ingiter is working. If you can't resolve your issue I would call redcat and ask for Nick, he's the man.