Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

RC of Steel, Mazda of Kleenex - a bedtime story

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

RC of Steel, Mazda of Kleenex - a bedtime story

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 07:45 PM
AmoebaCowboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC of Steel, Mazda of Kleenex - a bedtime story

I posted this on another forum today that I frequent and thought I'd share it with you guys:

So today I'm out playing with my Redcat Monsoon. You know, the "cheap" "weak" brand that some people give me crap about. I realized I was running it too rich since the SH .28 temp never got above 200, which was still too low even with it being 40F outside. So I leaned it out slowly and tweaked a few needle settings and finally found the sweet spot and my GOD, this thing hauls ass now.

There I am, hauling ass and having entirely too much fun doing flyby passes near where I'm parked and the Monsoon comes screaming down the lane WOT and about 20ft from my car it hits a small bump, catches some air, and tilts off the line... and heads straight for me. I dive out the way and, just as I start to congratulate myself on my cat-like reflexes, I remember that I was standing in front of my Mazda. I frantically push on the brakes but this thing isn't stopping in the 5ft remaining gap. This is going to be a Bad Thing.

The Monsoon slams into my front bumper and plows completely under the car with a sickening *whump*... as if someone hit a watermelon with a hammer. I squeal like a little girl and run to see how bad the damage is and how many pieces I can recover.

Hrm, the engine is still running. Okay, at least the mill isn't totally dead. Uh, I can't pull it out, it's really stuck under there... and I can't reach the pipe or fuel line or anything to shut it down. I can't move the car without dragging the Monsoon, I mean this truggy is trying to become one with the Force if you catch my drift. After analyzing the situation with my amazing engineering skills I see that I'm going to have to jack my car up to get this mess sorted out.

I get the car jacked up like I'm manning the pit crew at Daytona and pull out the Monsoon to see just how expensive a screw-up this is going to be. The front end should be complete toast. I'm bracing myself for bits and pieces of Redcat gibbets everywhere. I see I lost a front body pin and there's a slight scratch on the left front quarter panel of the lexan. Flexible stuff that lexan. I pop the body off to see how bad this nightmare is going to be and... there is no other damage.

That can't be right. I turn off the engine (which was still humming along, idling merrily) and look closer. Tower is fine. Ditto the arms, steering linkages, servo, and everything else. There. is. no. damage. ***!?

I check under the Mazda to admire the deep gouge left in the dirt by the Monsoon as it tried to burrow into the undercarriage and that's when I notice that my Mazda's bumper mud guard is cracked and a bumper retaining bolt is sheared off. I also find my Monsoon's lost body pin embedded in the bumper like some kind of retarded Ninja throwing star. The physics behind how that could possibly happen make my head hurt.

So instead of $100+ of Monsoon replacement parts and fix-up I'm looking at $150 in parts & work to fix the Mazda. Somehow I'm inordinately pleased by this and can't stop grinning. I ran a couple more tanks on the Monsoon giggling to myself while leaning against my Mazda, jack in place, front wheel still in the air. Yup, the Monsoon is just dandy.

RC of Steel, Mazda of Kleenex.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:02 PM
natanddiane

Default RE: RC of Steel, Mazda of Kleenex - a bedtime story

nice story. REdcat does make some durable goods, after you fix all the break in stuff, like the radio, the engine, the servos, the a arms, the gear boxes. My poor Volcano SV has been redone two timjes now due to no fault of my own. Sooo, I boutgh an Associated MGT8.0
Now here is a true a@@ hauler. 1/8 scale, .5 CID 4wd, two speed with reverse, steel reinforced bodied hauler! I took her to my sister'sd on thanksgiving day, and the whole dang neighborhood came out to see what was ripping up the street... SHe tore like a madman up and down the city block, shredding asphault and snow particles as she went. Well, eventually, she shut down. As I restarted her, I handed the Tx to my sister ( who's dang neatr 50 years old.. and should know enought to listen..) and gave her specific instructions to NOT TOUCH THE TRIGGER . I told her 4 times. I cmmenced to fire the beast up from her tremporary slumber, and when she roared to life, she took off, in full throttle, WOT under a Chevy Blazer.

Her steel reinforced tub chassis went right into the blazer's oil pan. The glow starter was in pieces, and my sister was drooling at the attempt of destroying another of my cool toys like she has always done all her life...]
Now SHE has to buy an oil pan, a glow starter, and I have a slick MGT 8.0 that has a rap for killing Chevys.

Look out Ford, Your'e next.

From the front lines..

me
Old 12-07-2008, 09:31 PM
shadow21
My Feedback: (4)

ROFLMAO. OMG this is the funniest story ive EVER heard in my LIFE! WOW. Im shocked. I own a modified galant with a body kit and all that.. Lowered a good bit. Ive always feared smacking my bumber with my revo or avalanche and it just shattering to pieces.. Then i think to myself... I pay dearly for full coverage insurance.. So why worry.. On the other hand. How would you explain that to your insurance company? LOL.. Great story though man. Im so shocked to hear that the Monsoon withstood the beating that was thrown at it. I know if that was my avalanche i would have been dooooomed!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

That's fricken awsome. You couldn't ask for a more durable product.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

hey natanddiane your comparing 2 totally different cars. 1/10th to a 1/8th and the redcat is considered a starter brand. Of course they were close to the same price right????? lol
Old 12-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

The Monsoon is a 1/8 like the MGT 8.0.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

yes Brett but Nat was comparing a volcano sv that she or he had so many problems with.