Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

VOLCANOS FOR XMAS, WHAT SPARES DO I NEED?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

VOLCANOS FOR XMAS, WHAT SPARES DO I NEED?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VOLCANOS FOR XMAS, WHAT SPARES DO I NEED?

Atta boy. I wish my dad was a cool as you when I was growing up. Sounds like you got yourself a pretty good stock of spare parts ordered. I'm sure your boys will love their volcanos.......yall have fun..........
Old 12-09-2008, 05:50 PM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: Brett185

Atta boy. I wish my dad was a cool as you when I was growing up. Sounds like you got yourself a pretty good stock of spare parts ordered. I'm sure your boys will love their volcanos.......yall have fun..........
thanx man! i'm kicking myself for not ordering some spare glowplugs, can't believe i forgot that, but i'll get some coming from somewhere. not sure what else they could break but i'll keep buyin em parts as long as they're into it, which i'm sure they will be. i emailed my wife the 1/8th redcat monster truck rtr deal , told her i'd go haves with her for my bday on the 29th maybe smarter to get another volcano since we have spares

tell ya what guys, darin has been ontop of the minor issue i had, customer service from redcat so far has been top notch!! after getting the trucks in hand and looking them over well, its a solid product, and i will buy another redcat product.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

I've been very happy with mine. I'm thinking about getting a 1/8th Hurricane myself. But just remember to be patient, all us newbies had problems starting out, most of mine were self caused.....lol......but if you work yourself in a corner the people here I'm sure will have no problem helping you out.....
Old 12-09-2008, 07:55 PM
bluecaka69

Agreed 100% the biggest problem in this hobby is IMPATIENCE Youll nned to do everything slow and most likely mopre than once till you get the hang of it so dont get frustrated just take a breath and start over
Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 AM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: bluecaka69

Agreed 100% the biggest problem in this hobby is IMPATIENCE Youll nned to do everything slow and most likely mopre than once till you get the hang of it so dont get frustrated just take a breath and start over
lol, if you only knew me well i don't do slow i'm building a single big turbo 383sbc as we speak with 1200hp, lil over 1100ftlbs of tq on a single 750cfm carb, then putting it in a 350lb jetboat only way i can have patience with something is to have alot of irons in the fire so i'll have something better to do while i wait for parts,lol.

http://media.putfile.com/tomepass

http://media.putfile.com/tomepass2

that's my last boat, just sold it 3wks ago. 13.5 to 1 505bbc on a 450hp 2 stage nitrous it put out 1250hp, 1200ftlbs. spent 2yrs restoring and building it up, got bored with it, wanted something lil different than what everyone else has.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:01 PM
IMPATIENT 1

bought a few more parts here's what i've got now:

rear a-arms with hardware(upper and lower)
frt wheel holders with hardware
throttle/brake linkage with hardware
shocks(4)
steering linkage set-up compete
2 complete spare diffs
air filters
just picked up a spare stock clutch bell
upper frt arms
some spare fuel tubing
frt lower arms(2 sets)
couple exhaust gaskets
muffler to headers silicone coupler
set of spare dogbones
extra brake disc set and shoes
extra clutch shoes and spring
just order 2 rotostart covers for the vx.18 motors along with the hpi rotostart shaft, so we can drill start em, weehaaa!!!!
picked up a complete stock volcano trans
drive cups for both frt and rear diffs
couple spare stock tires on wheels
couple stock servos
and now i've got 2 spare pull starts since i pulled off the stockers to installed rotostarts on both

other than lil screws, i don't know what else i could possibly need to keep the boys runnin. i pulled the motors outta both, and sure enough they were both clearenced wrong at the bell. i pulled out every bolt in metal and loctited them all, ca'd the bolts in plastic as suggested. just waiting on the rotostart covers to come in so i can put the trucks back together. not sure if i should go ahead and wrap em up or wait and break them in 1st. i think it may be a good experience for my boys to go thru the break in procedure with me, so i may wait and show them how.i went last nite and bought them some 4ft lites to hang overhead on their hobby workbench i set up for em.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

that boat sounded great but looked very slow... haha just kidding. Nice rooster tail lol
Old 12-11-2008, 09:41 PM
boostnm3

ummm what did you do to all the bolts in the plastic? do those come out also? dont know what you mean by ca'd. i guess i need to do something to all the screws in the plastic
Old 12-12-2008, 02:14 AM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: boostnm3

ummm what did you do to all the bolts in the plastic? do those come out also? dont know what you mean by ca'd. i guess i need to do something to all the screws in the plastic
He used CA glue on the screws that screw into plastic.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:49 AM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: jpilkinton

He used CA glue on the screws that screw into plastic.
what he said i drilled a small hole between the frt and back body mounting holes, and made it so they could pulled the body clips loose fast and now they'll just dangle from the body instead of possibly getting lost just used alil fishin line ,tied a body clip on each end well, pulled the center of the line thru the body alil and knotted it, lil hotglue to the inside of the body to keep it outta the drivetrain/steering. if these 2 trucks hold together well, i'm getting 1 after xmas for myself but it'll be a s30 and i'll grab a blower and hop-up kit for it[>:]
Old 12-12-2008, 09:57 AM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: Chubbysdad

that boat sounded great but looked very slow... haha just kidding. Nice rooster tail lol
lol, thanx it was a fun project and hauled the mail. i've had it up to 108mph on my garmin etrex within 1000ft from a deadstop. i built that nitrous 505 this past spring, and the yr before i built a blown 475 for it. it ran good too but was heavy and the blower whine was hated by my wife and kids, so i built the 505bbc for it. the blue and white boat was the 1st dragboat i built and painted, it ran good, but would only do 85mph safely, so i sold it and bought the red/white tx19 project and had it for the last 3yrs.sold it 3wks ago. just have a maxum bowrider right now, but i'm driving for my uncle this summer. we're building him a twin turbo blow thru 496bbc, should put out 2200hp on 35lbs of boost. i'll burn his racegas next summer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12943.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	1088099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10596.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1088100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45164.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	1088101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71337.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1088102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28825.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1088103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50708.jpg
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1088104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39186.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	1088105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23450.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1088106  

Old 12-12-2008, 05:34 PM
grosbc

If you haven't gotten it, I'd definitely get the single gear upgrade. The gearbox that comes in the volcano has 5 gears and they tear apart easily especially if you do any jumps. Since I changed to the single gear setup, I'm replacing way less parts than before. Here's a link to it. It's a new gearbox and clutch setup.

http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/...roducts_id/149

I've actually changed out the 44 tooth gear in this setup with a 49 tooth spur to get more low. Kept the same topend as well. Here's the spur I used. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFKM1&P=ML. You also need a 11x5x4 bushing and a couple washers as shims to make this work. I just bolted and glued one of the gears from the regular gearbox to this gear to connect it to the drivepin on the shaft.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91011.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1088301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84815.jpg
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1088302  
Old 12-13-2008, 08:26 PM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: grosbc

If you haven't gotten it, I'd definitely get the single gear upgrade. The gearbox that comes in the volcano has 5 gears and they tear apart easily especially if you do any jumps. Since I changed to the single gear setup, I'm replacing way less parts than before. Here's a link to it. It's a new gearbox and clutch setup.

http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/...roducts_id/149

I've actually changed out the 44 tooth gear in this setup with a 49 tooth spur to get more low. Kept the same topend as well. Here's the spur I used. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFKM1&P=ML. You also need a 11x5x4 bushing and a couple washers as shims to make this work. I just bolted and glued one of the gears from the regular gearbox to this gear to connect it to the drivepin on the shaft.

do they make a single conversion kit with everything needed? still a newbie here i looked at that when i pulled the motors from them both, thought it looked weak, so i picked em up a complete spare trans. when they trash 1 and i need to order another spare, i'll get em the direct drives. thanx for the info!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:23 AM
grosbc

Yes, the single speed conversion that I posted has everything needed. It has the gearbox with a 44 tooth spur gear, new brakes, and a 13 tooth clutch. That setup works great and much better than the stock. You lose a tad bit of low end, but gain 7-8 mph on top end and the spur gear never strips like the stock one does. I wanted more low end, so I changed my spur gear to the 49 tooth. Since Redcat doesn't offer a 49 tooth spur, I had to figure out a way to make it work.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:12 AM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: grosbc

Yes, the single speed conversion that I posted has everything needed. It has the gearbox with a 44 tooth spur gear, new brakes, and a 13 tooth clutch. That setup works great and much better than the stock. You lose a tad bit of low end, but gain 7-8 mph on top end and the spur gear never strips like the stock one does. I wanted more low end, so I changed my spur gear to the 49 tooth. Since Redcat doesn't offer a 49 tooth spur, I had to figure out a way to make it work.
well that's cool, i like kits,lol.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Foofer04

I have just got the S30 today that I ordered for my wife and I will be buying mine in about 5 days. All of you guys have been awesome in helping me to know what to expect, and Impatient1 for asking great questions.

I have a Roto starter w/ Backplate incoming now sine the pull starter is crap and Barely made it through the break sessions we did last night. I do have a few questions, could you just use a Crodelss drill and a Fabbed bit to trun turn it in stead of using a roto start gun?

Please forgive me I am very new to the Rc scene and I am less mechanically inclined than IMpatient 1 obviously, man your boats look awesome.

I do love to tinker though, and had to rebuild the pull starter twice to get through the break in period.

We intend to do family racing at the LHS this summer, and I would like to have them set up by then able to compete somewhat come May. I have a Traxx Rustler We bought for her son, I got it used so I had to cut my teeth on it as far as tinkering goes to get it running and tuned.

I believe we are going to have to go to the single gear trabby since the LHS has 2 decent size jumps and I would hate to get there on race day to find out that the tranny's will strip out.

Any advice you guys can give to help me set up the 2 S30's (SH .18 engine) for racing for rookies I would really appreciate it.

If there are instructions on the steps for the tranny swap that would be great too. I am not interested in top speed so any help getting more low end speed would be great as well. Im looking for less top end and more control since I am still learning the power slides and such in tight corners.

If you guys would like to post here, or would rather me set up my own thread on this, or PM let me know.

I don't want to hijack IMpatient1's thread but you guys all seem to be great guys and awesome knowledge.

Thanks Eric
Old 12-14-2008, 10:27 PM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: Foofer04

I have just got the S30 today that I ordered for my wife and I will be buying mine in about 5 days. All of you guys have been awesome in helping me to know what to expect, and Impatient1 for asking great questions.

I have a Roto starter w/ Backplate incoming now sine the pull starter is crap and Barely made it through the break sessions we did last night. I do have a few questions, could you just use a Crodelss drill and a Fabbed bit to trun turn it in stead of using a roto start gun?

Please forgive me I am very new to the Rc scene and I am less mechanically inclined than IMpatient 1 obviously, man your boats look awesome.

I do love to tinker though, and had to rebuild the pull starter twice to get through the break in period.

We intend to do family racing at the LHS this summer, and I would like to have them set up by then able to compete somewhat come May. I have a Traxx Rustler We bought for her son, I got it used so I had to cut my teeth on it as far as tinkering goes to get it running and tuned.

I believe we are going to have to go to the single gear trabby since the LHS has 2 decent size jumps and I would hate to get there on race day to find out that the tranny's will strip out.

Any advice you guys can give to help me set up the 2 S30's (SH .18 engine) for racing for rookies I would really appreciate it.

If there are instructions on the steps for the tranny swap that would be great too. I am not interested in top speed so any help getting more low end speed would be great as well. Im looking for less top end and more control since I am still learning the power slides and such in tight corners.

If you guys would like to post here, or would rather me set up my own thread on this, or PM let me know.

I don't want to hijack IMpatient1's thread but you guys all seem to be great guys and awesome knowledge.

Thanks Eric
lol, no sweat on the highjack, i don't mind. yes, you can start with a drill , i have freinds that do it and have better luck that way. big ole cordless will never have trouble cranking a nitro motor. i also ordered the drill bit that's made for the rotostart covers, look where i started the thread on this page about drill starting nitro motors.i herd enough about the pull starts to know that wasn't even something i wanted to deal with it, so i pulled them off last week, rotostart stuff will be here tommorrow and tommorrow nite i'll break in 2 volcanos wish me luck

here's the rotostart drill bit i ordered, not sure if they have more but it'll give ya the part#

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HPI-SAVAGE-R...ts_Accessories

i thought about making mine own bit as well, but it looks as if it needs to be able to pivot inside the rotostart cover some, so modding a drill bit to work was outta the question for me.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Foofer04

Thank you, I was able to click on his store and find another one he was selling. Its on the way. I finished the Break in period with my wifes last night, But I am going to run 2 more tanks at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle only and recturn the piston to BDC 2 more times before I lean it out to semi performance setting.

Even though I am new, I was able to learn a lot tuning and tinkering the Rustler. That little sucker absolutely fly's and is a durable little 2 wheel drive vehicle. I flipped it several times and hit a tree and a mail box learning to drive it at speed.

Only broke a couple turn buckle end's, and one end off os a shock but those are easy fix.

I learned how to tune it basically from watching You tube videos on it, that way I could hear what a Tuned one sounded like and what a rich or lean one sounded like.

It really helped me.

I will say this about the S30 SH.18 engine. IT is very very quick, definitely faster than the Rustler at least low end anyway. I will no more after it warms up a bit and I can run a few more tanks threw it.

If anyone would like to shoot me a step by step kind of deal on how to do the 1 speed Tranny conversion I would really appreciate it.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:29 AM
boostnm3

1 thing you need to get for those volcanos is spare wheels. The factory ones are cheap. 1 of mine broke right after break in when i was only going 1/4 throttle and slid it around and the wheel flew off. Just broke in the center.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Foofer04

Yea I noticed that in a couple videos On you tube, I will just wait for them to break then get Rustler 2.2 rims and put the Pro line tires on them the monster truck style ones.

I would rather have the 2.2 rims because there seems to be alot more tires available for it. Thanks for the heads up but that was one that I actually am prepared for and ironically enough Hoping happens sooner than later, a good excuse to buy 2.2's
Old 12-15-2008, 12:53 AM
IMPATIENT 1

is there such thing as a temp chart for each motor that shows a approximate head temp on a tuned motor, compared to 1 too rich/lean?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:59 AM
IMPATIENT 1

1 thing you need to get for those volcanos is spare wheels. The factory ones are cheap. 1 of mine broke right after break in when i was only going 1/4 throttle and slid it around and the wheel flew off. Just broke in the center.
anybody make some lite alum wheels that'll direct replace the stock volcano wheel?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Foofer04

I havent seen any yet, I will find the part numbers for the wheels I used to upgrade my step sons Rustler they have the same Hex size and will work. You just need to buy 4 rears are very strong and also look good. They are a deep dish look.

I will say they dont do well in heavy wet snow as the snow really packs in there, but I dont think any of these were really desgined to do very well in the snow.

My guess is the aluminum would be a hair too heavy and may reduce your low end performance.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:23 PM
chevyderek72

i have geolanders 2.2 and i love them, amazing grip, they wont slip at all on pavement. with ofna rims. lots of offset so they make it a lot wider, ill post pics on the pics thread.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Foofer04

Ohh now that sounds cool, Anything to widen the stance of it will be helpful for me. I am going to attempt to hang with the big dawgs racing these at a LHS starting in MAy.

Lets see those pictures, and also anything else people can do extension or some other trick to increase the stance say another inch or so total.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.