Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Volcano S30 Newbie Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:33 PM
boostnm3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat Volcano S30 Newbie Issues

Ok i just got my volcano in today. Has the s30 motor with tuned pipe and header. I also got the electric start wand but havent installed it and dont know if i want to. Im new to nitro trucks or nitro in general. Honestly, i got the truck, pulled it out of the box and was inpressed with the way it looked. Very nice. I know ive ready you must take all the screws out and put blue loctite on them. Now is that every screw or mainly just the engine and underbody? 1 thing that turned me off right away was 1 of the engine mounting screws was so tight i almost stripped the screw getting it out to put loctite on it. Finally got that out and couldnt exactly tell how to get the clutch bell adjusted. The pics are vague in the manual. Just says put a piece of paper and then tighten down the screws and pull the paper out. Where do you put this piece of paper? On the actual gears or in between the gears or what. Very confusing. I kind of adjusted it by feel. I kept playing with it, till i could push the car easily and couldnt hear any grinding and would roll smooth. Not sure if i did it right. Like i said im new, but are these cars made for people with small hands. I just looked around and couldnt really tell how i would get some screws out without taking the whole car apart. Also how do i get to the grub screws? Do i have to dismantle the car for all this? Sorry for all the questions, but i sat there and tried to adjust it for a few hours, and finally gave up because the car was giving me a headache. The screwdrivers that come with the car can go straight in the trash. The 1st screw i tried to take out and the screwdriver bit bend like a pretzel. Cheap tools. I dont know, im going to just give it a few days then tinker with it some more. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. The car is brand new and i would love to play with it, but im starting to wonder if this is a hobby for me. Seems like more working than playing. I already have a job for that.....
Old 12-09-2008, 09:11 AM
boostnm3

Default RE: Redcat Volcano S30 Newbie Issues

Can anyone help me? Thought redcat has good support here......
Old 12-09-2008, 01:24 PM
AmoebaCowboy

The "paper test" is a strip of paper put between the 2 gears (the pinion gear and spur gear). use printer paper and not newspaper which is much thinner. Adjust your engine mount so that the pinion & spur are meshed closely with paper in the middle. You should be able to pull the paper out from between the gears easily with no ripping and paper should have an accordion look. Some very slight grinding sound is fine as you break-in your vehicle, too tight or loose and you'll strip your spur gear.

As for the provided tools, they're about average for a RTR kit. Just enough to get some stuff done. I would recommend picking up some quality tools.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:00 AM
boostnm3

Ok thanks for responding. Thanks for the info. I did the paper trick and it came out like an accordian but i was worried since the car didnt roll perfectly free and made a slight noise like the gears were to close. I guess thats ok as long as the car still rolls. I havent had time to mess with the car anymore, but this weekend im going to break it in. Im just going to start taking it apart and loctite every bolt. 1 other question, what size allens do i need for the engine, for things like grub screws and header screws?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:25 PM
jpilkinton

They are metric. Go to Lowes and get a set of metric allen wrenches for about $4.
That is where I got mine.