Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

gear mesh advise for newbie

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 05:25 PM
IMPATIENT 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear mesh advise for newbie

ok, now that the rotostart covers are on , i've set clearence on the bell/spur with the paper. it doesn't "roll freely" but it does roll nicely , and you can feel the drivetrain engage. is this thing supposed to roll across the floor easily or should you have to set a finger on it to move it along? the paper came out lookinh like it should during clearence'n, but as this is my 1st time doin this, how much should the paper be pointed? when i rolled the paper outta the gears, it came out with alil gear debris markings along it. i sat it on the floor and you can roll it with 1 finger. i've watched vids of doing the process time after time, but they never show a close up of how much the paper "folds" as it passes thru. was half temped to break out my differential marker grease and see how the mesh was

i marked the motor mount screws before ever removing them from their factory setting, and with what feels good to me as far as clearence, is almost 2mm inward to the spur compared to where it came outta the box at.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:42 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE: gear mesh advise for newbie

it sound to me like your good. cause i look at it like this, if its too loose, the cb will just shear the teeth off the spur. but if its a little to tight, the cb will mold with the plastic and make a good fit. Like the plastic will form to the cb a little bit. but if its too tight it can melt haha. but i would rather have a little tight that a little loose
Old 12-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

I've never done the paper test, but a guy on here told me to just let gravity set the mesh, and it has worked well for me. In fact I never stripped a spur gear till I removed the transmission then didn't put it back in right. You want to where you can hold either the clutch bell or the spur gear and have about 1mm of play.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:43 AM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: Brett185

I've never done the paper test, but a guy on here told me to just let gravity set the mesh, and it has worked well for me. In fact I never stripped a spur gear till I removed the transmission then didn't put it back in right. You want to where you can hold either the clutch bell or the spur gear and have about 1mm of play.
i redid all 3 rc's last nite. i bought my lil 27yr old brother a himoto rapido pro nitro car and it was set veryyyyy close to perfect on the mesh, but of course nothing was loctited so it had to come apart. when i set clearence on its bell, i put the paper in, used my finger to hold the bell against the spur with some pressure, then tightened the motor up, spun the paper out and it still looked like to much clearence to me. so i broke out the kids playdo and filled a couple teeth on the spur, and i adjusted until it squish all the do out. cleaned it up and checked it with a lite and it looks good, did the volcanos the same way.

i'm with you guys on being alil tight. i'd rather have it alil tighter than loose. once the kids smoke these spur gears, we're moving onto direct drive
Old 12-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

Huh, that sounds like a pretty good idea. Never thought of that. Yeah I agree I definetly like it a little on the tight side.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:41 PM
boostnm3

when i meshed my gears together, it was to tight, so i just backed it up a tad bit. It still had a little resistance when pushing but not bad. I havent had a problem with it. It doesnt need to spin freely. It needs to have some resistance.

1 question, when you convert to direct drive, does that eliminate shredding gears?
Old 12-20-2008, 05:49 PM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: boostnm3

when i meshed my gears together, it was to tight, so i just backed it up a tad bit. It still had a little resistance when pushing but not bad. I havent had a problem with it. It doesnt need to spin freely. It needs to have some resistance.

1 question, when you convert to direct drive, does that eliminate shredding gears?
very good question that i'd also like to know. i'd happily order a couple direct drive set-ups if they took that issue outta the trucks.