Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

How do I install my engine correctly?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

How do I install my engine correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:33 PM
cirec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I install my engine correctly?

While I put the engine on the Monsoon,the clutch bell gears don't come in contact with the diff. gears well. If only I can move the engine back but I can only move it sideways.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: How do I install my engine correctly?

Are you sure you have the center diff mounted correctly? If so, check and make sure the pilot nut on the clutch bell is tightened all the way. If you have every thing mounted correctly, there is no reason for the clutch bell and the spur gear not to touch. In fact you should be able to touch the spur gear and sitll have room to go. That"s why it's so important to check the gear mesh.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:55 AM
cirec

The center diff came mounted. The pilot nut is tightened all the way. I'm trying to install a Sportwerks .26 v2.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:17 AM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

How much of a difference are we talking about? A couple milimerers? Or more? Need a little more info. But I will tell you this, if your trying to mount another manufactures engine, expect to have to make modifications. Mods such as changing the engine mount holes, the center diff mount holes, and possibly more depending which one you decide to do will determine wether or not your gonna have to make changes to the trans. shafts. If you just change the engine mounting position, you shouldn't have to change the front and rear trans. shafts, but if you change the trans positon, you may have to change the lengths of your drive shafts. Again everything depends on how much of a difference the two are from each other.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:01 AM
cirec

If I could move the engine back several millimeters it would work. I saw picture of a Monsoon with an Axial Spec 1 in it with no mods.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:20 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Try to see if you can get a Nova engine mount. Nova engine mounts have the benefit of not only being adjustable left and right, but also forwards and backwards.

Now a word of disclaimer: Nova makes mounts mainly for none HSP vehicles, such as Losi, Traxxas, or whatever. So it might not even fit into a Monsoon.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:28 AM
cirec

I found the Nova engine mounts on Novaproducts.com for 27 bucks. It bit pricey IMO. It Hopefully the guys at my lhs can get the engine to fit properly.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:07 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Nah, dont let them do it, it's a waste of $25 (or however much they charge for wrenching o your RC).

Install that bad boy yourself and adjust the Nova mount untill you get teh perfect mesh
Old 12-26-2008, 07:06 PM
HJJFFFAA

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Nah, dont let them do it, it's a waste of $25 (or however much they charge for wrenching o your RC).

Install that bad boy yourself and adjust the Nova mount untill you get teh perfect mesh
I agree with SavageJim, and once you mesh it a couple times you'll be a pro. It really isn't that hard. Good luck!!
Old 12-26-2008, 08:34 PM
cirec

Really it will cost me? I bought the engine from the lhs. Last time I went for help with the clutch shoes and springs it was free. Are you talking about this? http://www.novarcproducts.com/savagemount.html Hopefully I can find it at one of the lhss instead of online incase it doesn't work.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:51 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Heck yeah! that' the magic mount! Most likely the local RC stores dont carry them, or if they can, they never have them in store (they would have to order it).
Old 12-27-2008, 09:59 AM
cirec

Now it's out of stock so I have to wait until it get in stock. And then I have to wait for shipping. And it might not even work. I really want to get it running now because I'm on my Christmas/new year break. Did I do something wrong? I screwed on the mounts to the engine and then I installed it on the truggy. Am I missing anything like other parts I should to install?
Old 12-27-2008, 09:08 PM
madmarty

i believe one of the ofna mounts will work. just can't remember which one. they are also adjustable
Old 12-29-2008, 09:34 PM
cirec

I went to the lhs for help and they said it won't fit. They also said the Monsoon is designed for a bump start engine. I returned the Sportwerks .26 v2 and got a OFNA Hyper 21. Now the gears are meshed.