Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Radio Range

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:31 PM
xDIRTYSOUTHx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Range

Sup peeps?

What range should i be getting from transmitter to receiver? I ask because when i was out tonight i could only get about 30 feet out before my failsafe would kick in. The Transmitter i'm using is the stock AM T-08 27.145 that came with the Monsoon. I was using new batteries so im pretty sure that's not the problem.

Also, my front wheels seem to point out abit like a V shape. anyone know how to fix that?

Thanks for any help ahead of time. I've broke in the engine and finished tunning and i'm fricken LOVING this Redcat. It's my first time playing around with nitro and i cant believe i waited so long..

Peace!

~SoLo
Old 01-07-2009, 09:53 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Radio Range

you should have better range then 30 yrds....is or has the reciever antanna been cut??...is the transmitter antanna fully extended and tight??..

not sure were u say your tires or in a v shape....if its tow out or in (were the tire distance from tire to tire is more on either the front or the back side of the tire)..like the arrows point...u adjust this with by turning the adjuster on the tie rod (circled in red) 1st pic

if its camber (measuring from the top of the tire to the other tire is less or greater then the bottom from tire to tire)...like the arrows point....u adjust by turning the adjuster on the upper arm (circled in red)...2nd pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82578.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1106002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20427.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1106003  
Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 PM
xDIRTYSOUTHx

No, wire's not cut. I was told to just wrap it around the wire tube with electric tape. I might have been able to pull the antenna out abit more so i'll try that out and see if that was the problem.

The pics you added help out a great deal. Im sure its not camber so tow would be my problem. I'll set that up right now and thank you VERY much for the help!

Thanks Firebird!

~SoLo
Old 01-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

If extending the antenna on your TX doesn't help, open your reciever box and make sure the antenna wire didn't come loose from the connector inside.........it's happened to me on more than one occasion.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:54 PM
firebird78

also be sure your receiver atnanna is not coiled around servo wires and is not bunched up in the radio box
Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 PM
xDIRTYSOUTHx

Well, I took the Monsoon out tonight. It's been like 70 degrees here so just had to get out and rip some dirt up! I check the receiver and transmiter, added fresh batteries and still have a very short radio range. I just dont understand it atall. The truck gets about 30 feet or so and the failsafe kicks in and locks up the brakes. I walk closer and everything works again. Not sure what im over looking..
Old 01-09-2009, 10:41 PM
firebird78

you have another reciever you can try??
Old 01-09-2009, 10:55 PM
xDIRTYSOUTHx

Negative, this is my first kit so i only have the one it came with. I think i might have to take it up to the LHS and see if maybe someone knows what's going on.

~SoLo
Old 01-09-2009, 11:37 PM
firebird78

you need to contact redcat....its diff something wrong with the radio gear....if the truggy is new they will most likely replace it for you....another thing you can do is buy a aftermarket radio (jr, airtronics, futaba)...personally I dont run stock radios...a cheap aftermarket will be better then stock
Old 01-10-2009, 05:04 AM
AmoebaCowboy

One last thing to check: remove the failsafe and check your range again (not with engine running!) and see if you still have steering. It could be a bad failsafe or connection in the electronics.

I've also got a Monsoon that I'm really happy with. If the above test doesn't fix your problem, contact Redcat, they're very good at the customer service part
Old 01-10-2009, 11:21 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

If the failsafe is a Redcat failsafe I would deffinatly take it out and check the radio with out it AmoebaCowboy said. I sell quit a few of those fail safe because there cheap, BUT they have a tendancy to tweek out, because there cheap. I've had a couple give us a problem like your explaining. Turned out it was a bad connection inside the failsafe that was causing it to put on the brakes. If that turns out to not be the problem, get a new radio or use the Warrenty to exchange the radio. The new radios realy aren't all that as they used to be. My stores had good luck with the new radios and I don't have as many returned or warrentied radios as I used to have in the beginning. Like firebird said thoug, the fact is that aftermarket radios even a cheap Hitech or airtronics is better than a factory RTR radio in most cases, because that what these companies deal in is radio building.