Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

RedCat volcano

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:12 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RedCat volcano

How do the volcanos hold up? Are the drivetrains pretty tough, and is the truck pretty durable? Are the ring and pinion gears metal or plastic? I may have a trade worked out on a roller. Thanks

Eric
Old 01-20-2009, 07:19 PM
perhamrocks

Default RE: RedCat volcano

the volcanos are a tough little truck. drive train is fine as long as you don't go throwing a huge engine in it, you'll have the occasional snapped or bend dogbones in crashes but that will happen with all rc's. Spur and tranny gears are all plastic, but if you have a good mesh between your spur gear and clutchbell you wont have many problems. The differential gears are all metal, best upgrades for this truck is some stiffer shocks, you can find some t-maxx ones on ebay for about $25, a tuned pipe and the high flow header, and the direct drive and 13 tooth clutchbell, with those this truck will be durable, and fast
Old 01-20-2009, 11:43 PM
cummins driver

Thanks for the information. Must be pretty tough if it has metal geared differentials[8D]

I heard the front hubs were weak. Any truth to that? I wont be beating it hard, just some small jumps and running in dirt and on the road. Wont be going crazy with the power, but it will probably have an O.S. .18 cv-rx in it if i get it. It should handle that seeing as the stock motor is rated 1hp I would think.

About what is top speed on this with the stock motor?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Saood

Anyone can give me some more info on direct drive?...i searched and came up with a clermentmotorsport link but like his site isn't working
Old 01-21-2009, 12:48 AM
cummins driver

allaboutfunhobbies.com has redcat stuff
Old 01-21-2009, 01:52 AM
chevyderek72

http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/...roducts_id/149

thats the direct drive upgrade, great upgrade to do.

With the stock motor, direct drive, header, rpm pipe, and high flow air filter i got 40 at least out of it
Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 PM
perhamrocks

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Thanks for the information. Must be pretty tough if it has metal geared differentials[8D]

I heard the front hubs were weak. Any truth to that? I wont be beating it hard, just some small jumps and running in dirt and on the road. Wont be going crazy with the power, but it will probably have an O.S. .18 cv-rx in it if i get it. It should handle that seeing as the stock motor is rated 1hp I would think.

About what is top speed on this with the stock motor?
i haven't had one problem with the front hubs yet, i've had it for a year and have been bashing it HARD
top speed stock is probably 30 mph,
Old 01-21-2009, 04:26 PM
IMPATIENT 1

i bought my twin sons each a volcano for xmas, did the prebreak in mods, and have ran a gallon and a half thru each truck and have yet to break or strip anything i bought 120bucks worth of spare parts for em, and have yet to use any of them[&o] which is a good problem i guess great lil trucks!! install a rotostart set-up if you haven't already, makes the hobby better and less stressfull imo.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:48 PM
DMCB

Does the steel gear works on the direct transmission?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:07 PM
perhamrocks

i dont' think they have one for the direct drive yet, but i'm not 100 % sure
Old 01-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Montana Mike
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was given a Volcano SV. A friend bought it, put batteries in it, fueled it up and started it. He did not bother to make sure things were tight before he ran it. Went running across a feild and jumped it off a rock and lost control. Well the throttle horn popped off, got jammed on the truck somehow and went screaming across the feild hitting things flipping all over the place then BOOOMMMM!!!!!!!! He had no idea as to what happened. I told him I would take a look at it and told him his engine was probably blown. Well I was right, and he doesn't want it any more, so now it is mine I guess. Based on what I have read here so far it is an ok truck. What would be a good engine to put back in it? The old one is shot. It pulverized the rod and ripped up the guts pretty good. Let me know what you all think.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:36 PM
rclynx

I thought they had an exchange SH.18 through Redcat.............its a very good engine.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 AM
perhamrocks

ya use the lifetime engine warranty and you should be able to get the sh .18 for about $50, also make sure that you break the engine in first before you run it, in your story sounds like your friend forgot to do that.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:41 AM
IMPATIENT 1

ORIGINAL: perhamrocks

ya use the lifetime engine warranty and you should be able to get the sh .18 for about $50, also make sure that you break the engine in first before you run it, in your story sounds like your friend forgot to do that.
forgot to do alot of things i credit this forum and the instructions for our success with the volcanos so far. i did as i was suggested, read directions, learned as much as i could before ever putting a drop of fuel in them. i should've been as studious when i bought my 1st heli, cause you do need to use the training programs before taking flight or you'll demolish your 500.00 heli in less than 5seconds
Old 01-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Montana Mike

Not to sure if he forgot, I think he just did not know. I will have to check out the replacement plan. I would like to see this truck in action. Looks like a pretty nice ride though. Thanks for the advice. If I decide not to do a replacement, any suggestions on engines?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:55 PM
perhamrocks

o.s. .18, but the sh .18 is a good engine too, and much better then the vertex
Old 01-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Montana Mike

I know absolutley nothig about red cat products, where would I go for the engine exchange program?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:47 PM
perhamrocks

it's on the website right here [link=http://shopping.netsuite.com/c.849850/site/lifetimeengine.html]Liftime Engine Replacement Program[/link]
Old 01-23-2009, 07:52 PM
DMCB

Perhamrocks, how did you make your Volcano to wheelie?
Old 01-24-2009, 05:58 PM
perhamrocks

i didn't, it just looks like it, it was more of a pop wheelie in my avitar photo, i landed a jump in a video and i froze the video when it popped back up, but check out my vid on youtube [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJIJshEEDWM&feature=channel_page] Attempting Wheelie[/link] i had to do an audio swap so there is no longer any nitro sound
Old 01-24-2009, 09:55 PM
JDUBYA72

Has n e 1 attempted to locate a metal spur gear that will work w/T2? I've gone thru 5 plastic spurs since X-mas, so u can imagine how frustr8d I am. Not getn much run time to enjoy my truck especially since there r no hobby shops th@ carry parts for this vehicle n my st8. My mesh seems to b fine, but if iI hapn to hit the brake hard-there went my gear! Can the SH .18 handle an 18T clutchbell gear w/like a 40T spur? I'm experimenting-I've got a Traxxes tuned pipe on it now, but now it wont hit second gear. I don't have n e grub screws to adjust gear changes-still tinkering with idle speed & getn up to temp! If i wasnt burnin' thru gears maybe I could figure sumthin out. N e suggestions besides direct drive wud b appreci8d! Don't wanna continue dumpin $ n 2 this truck!
Old 01-25-2009, 12:38 AM
Montana Mike

dumpin money into your truck is part of the hobby my friend
Old 01-25-2009, 12:55 AM
JDUBYA72

I know th@ much-but I think I'm dumpin it n the wrong places!
Old 01-25-2009, 12:59 AM
JDUBYA72

U have n e suggestions or answers to get me goin n the rite direction? Getn all these parts n an untimely fashion gets old quick! I've paid 4 my truck agn alrdy & havn't gotten a full days worth of fun frm it yet!!
Old 01-25-2009, 01:02 AM
Montana Mike

I have a Volcano that is brand new with 30 minutes on the engine before it blew. The guy did not want to dump ant money into it so he gave it to me. I have not got around to putting a new engine in it yet. I would suggest making sure all your screws are tight. Blue Loctite any metal to metal screw, line up your mesh and try again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.