Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Landslide gear issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:49 AM
spongeyguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landslide gear issue

Hey I bought my Landslide a little after christmas and I ran it a few days without issue, other than forgetting to set my failsafe properly and nearly destroying the whole thing. About the end of the first week of using it about a tank or 2 a day I noticed it was slowing down adn jerking some and then eventually it stopped. The gear that connects the tranny to the gearbox had become stripped. I am planning on ordering a new one and I was jsut wondering what I should do to prevent this gear from stripping like that again? I might have messed it up when I ran head on into a tree but I am not sure. Are there any screws that I should check and tighten specifically for my problem? Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Redcat Nick

Default RE: Landslide gear issue

Yes running into a tree could have caused the gear to strip. A good thing to practice would be checking your motor mount screws every few runs to make sure they are tight and haven't vibrated loose.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

When you replace it make sure you set you gear mesh between the clutch bell and the spur gear. You can slide the engine to make it contact the gear. You want just the slightest ( and I mean ever so slight ) bit of play between them. Too tight and it will strip again, same will go if it's too loose. More than likely when you hit the tree, you probably knocked somithing loose, either the engine mounts, or the tranny mounting screws, or the chasis might have flexed a little bit during the impact and over time either the engine mounts or tranny screws might have vibrated loose. Just be sure to set your gear mesh when you replace your spur gear....
Old 01-26-2009, 01:01 PM
spongeyguy

Thank you both. I have experience replacing gears and getting them set right and everything so that will be no problem. I got the failsafe set properly now so I shouldn't have any more run away trucks. I think one side of the gear stripped first and that caused it all to go because one side was flatter, maybe when it hit it made it jump a gear or even snapped a tooth of or something. I have an RC car that the engine mounts slide on me and I had to replace the gear.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:35 PM
kjord97

The first thing to stipe on my landslide was the spur gear. Did it on the first tank. I noticed now that when the truck was removed from the box, the motor was all the way to the right, so the gear was not even set, it was off to the side, when I replaced the gear and set the mesh, i moved the motor almost a 1/4" to the left to get it to line up and mesh correctly.