Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Hurricane

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:01 PM
wolverine330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurricane

Need Servo Upgrades, Steering Servo is broke. Also anyone else have issues with the AM recall, Radio and Receiver sent out by redcat. Receiver I got back did not work, had to pull the one out of my 1/10th scale. Now am having problems with the Radio. Anyone know whats going on here. Really don't care to spend a boat load of money on these two items, should have had properly working equipment out of the box. I enjoy redcat, and I own three. But a little disgusted with quality of Radio and Receiver. I guess, I will have to spend more money to purchase better equipment. Anyone have any ideas.......

Wolv.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:44 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hurricane

most rtr rc's come with not the greatest radio equipment.....I'm pretty much loaded up on jr xs3 radios that I scored off ebay ( I have 4)....if you take ur time you can get a new one for about $70....I like these radios cause you can change frequencies with the push of buttons and twist of the dial...now if thats not that imortant to you you can get something like a jr x2i...also a good radio but ur stuck on one frequency unless u change crystals......also on my bashers I run hitec 645mg servo's....you can get them all day for like $28....
Old 01-31-2009, 10:42 PM
firebird78

I do have a am radio I am not using...if your wanting to run and need one while you wait on another let me know....
Old 02-01-2009, 11:07 AM
wolverine330

Yeah Thx for the offer with the radio. I did look around on ebay yesterday, they have some pretty honest deals. I'll just have to keep my eye open for something good.

Wolv.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:02 PM
firebird78

ya wanna meet up somewere and get that radio or want me to mail it???..(ur only 45 mile away)....also if ur buggy is broke I may have the part u need....
Old 02-01-2009, 02:46 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Something you might really want to consider is buying a 2.4GHz radio. Though a decent one might set you back $150USD, trust me, you will not regret it. Futhermore, the multi-model memory will come in very handy as you go aloing in the hobby. So, with one radio set, you can literally store programmed settings for multiple modles. All you would have to do is turn one off and turn the other on, then switch to the model settings in your radio.

Additionally, no frequency rworries whatsoever, just simply turn on the radio and you will NEVER hijack someone's channel, nor will anyone hijack yours.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:03 AM
tlandon
My Feedback: (15)

Had the same problems as you with my new Hurricane. To put it bluntly, the radio/receiver is worthless. The Servos are no good and for racing the suspension parts are too fragile. In two weekends of trying to race I have broken the right rear upright hub, the left front upper A-Arm and bent the Ackerman aluminum bracket. Did all that damage at very slow speeds. From what I have seen so far the Hurricane is not a race worthy buggy. I am still trying to get it around the track more than two laps before something breaks. Havent given up yet.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:35 PM
wolverine330

Don't worry bout it Firebird, I will take a look at some radios on Ebay. Prolly more than likely the one you told me about. Plus the servos are cheaper and need a couple of them. Servo prolly just went bad over the couple months of sitting. It was working fine when I put it away for the winter.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:10 PM
perhamrocks

ORIGINAL: wolverine330

Don't worry bout it Firebird, I will take a look at some radios on Ebay. Prolly more than likely the one you told me about. Plus the servos are cheaper and need a couple of them. Servo prolly just went bad over the couple months of sitting. It was working fine when I put it away for the winter.

PUT IT AWAY FOR WINTER, what are u thinkin that's one of the best times to drive them
Old 02-03-2009, 07:52 PM
firebird78

ORIGINAL: tlandon

Had the same problems as you with my new Hurricane. To put it bluntly, the radio/receiver is worthless. The Servos are no good and for racing the suspension parts are too fragile. In two weekends of trying to race I have broken the right rear upright hub, the left front upper A-Arm and bent the Ackerman aluminum bracket. Did all that damage at very slow speeds. From what I have seen so far the Hurricane is not a race worthy buggy. I am still trying to get it around the track more than two laps before something breaks. Havent given up yet.

Personaly I think the hurricane xp is more a bashing buggy the anything...I wont say it cant be raced cause just when I do someone will say they race one succesfully....as far as the durability part of it, I find it a pretty durable buggy...I launch my buggies off ramps higher then most track ramps and rarely break once I got the bugs out of it... if your landing wrong you will break any buggy....I would say part of the trouble your experiencing is user error...
Old 02-03-2009, 07:57 PM
firebird78

ORIGINAL: wolverine330

np man.....we need to get together and do some bashing sometime this summer...u gotta check out my rxb-1...it has came together pretty nice...should be pretty darn fast...also you can see how good a sh.28 with a xtm 6 port sleeve runs on a hurricane...I know your running 30% so it would even be more wild..lol
Old 02-04-2009, 12:12 AM
chevyderek72

Is is that much better with the 6 port? Can you post a link on where to buy it?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Redcat Nick

You can get it here http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Engine-XTM-45...QQcmdZViewItem

You will notice a night and day difference. Come over some time i will show you
Old 02-04-2009, 04:52 PM
wolverine330

I agree with firebird. I do think the Hurricane is well built, I've done some wild stuff with mine. I'm just severely disappointed in the quality of the radio and receiver. I don't know how much more money Redcat with have to spend to up the quality of these two parts, but in my mind would be well worth it. Hard to drive the buggy, when you have nothing to drive it with.

On another note, I do need to check that out Firebird. I would like to upgrade mine also. I'll have to get with you one of these days. I was actually in your hometown last Wednesday working on some equipment.

Wolv.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:30 PM
firebird78

when it warms up we will have to meet up....I'd kinda like to see the difference a sh.28 running 30% is....
Old 02-04-2009, 08:45 PM
chevyderek72

Man i almost wanna just sell the piston and sleeve thats in there now so i can buy the 6 port, but it would be nice to see the difference. Ya i have still yet to run, i still gotta grab a new glow ignitor, plus i wanna get a temp gun to be safe.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:45 AM
mrlee2071

Hey Firebird,

Did'nt you have a video of your hurricane/torpeda with the 6port mod doing some wheelies or was that someone else?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:47 PM
firebird78

no Lee I dont....I only got one honest to goodness wheelie out of it and havent got another since....which to me is a good thing, due to I like to run mine on this lil track I run on and if you poor the coals to it it just goes leaving all 4 on the ground...if you pop the front end up everytime you nail it you would have very lil control...so to me wheelies are useless....
Old 02-08-2009, 07:31 PM
rookieracer2

hey i just started to rebuild my monsoon after a massive wipe out truck vs. boulder and truck lost. Lost a drive shaft "dog bone" do i need the 117mm or the 123mm. And if i do the brake mod besides longer bolts dose anything not fit or need changed?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:23 PM
mrlee2071

I hear ya Randy, My new buggy is a little hard to control under power. It tends to lighten up the front end a little too much. I could'nt remember where I saw that video. Usless true, but cool none the less.

There is a buggy out there (I think Grizz has it) that has wider tires on the rear than the front. From what I read it is doing really well on the race circut. I thought maybe I'd give it a try, just for giggles.

Did you run this weekend?

I ran the new buggy, very stable.

Lee
Old 02-08-2009, 10:43 PM
firebird78

nope didnt run....been a lil colder here then what I like to run in....my new buggy is begging to be ran but the engine is fresh and I want real nice weather to get it broke in