Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

volcano questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:45 PM
jcon82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volcano questions

hi. I'm a first time nitro owner with a few questions. first off when i broke the engine in this past weekend it gave me a real hard time staying at idle without spinning the wheels, I was constantly adjusting the idle screw without much sucess. I wanted to know if this is normal during brake in or if i did something wrong. Next, I could'nt get the engine to idle while the wheels were on the ground. and i also wanted to know where i could buy all the hop ups that are advertised on the poster that came with the truck.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:55 PM
bigwaltc

Default RE: volcano questions

Try adjusting the throttle trim nob on the remote I know the one on my tornado gets out of adjustment really easy
Old 02-03-2009, 08:33 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Check your clutch to make sure the spring isn't broken in side the clutch bell.

[link=http://www.allaboutfunhobbies.com]www.allaboutfunhobbies.com[/link] for the upgrades, we found out a source to get almost everything in the flyer except the aluminum rims.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:29 PM
mdgiebel

look on ebay for the hop ups i got the kit with all the aluminum arms and pipe header etc for 95 dollars shipped pretty good deal just look up on ebay
Old 02-04-2009, 08:36 PM
jcon82

does the kit come with 2 or 4 axle shafts and are they aluminum?

I think my clutch is fine since its not making any funny noises when i turn it.

do you think since it was twenty degrees outside that could explain the erratic idling?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:06 PM
dukectyking

I have a similar problem when i start my truck it takes off on its own any ideaa
Old 02-04-2009, 09:51 PM
perhamrocks

your idle is too high dukectyking

Jcon, anytime the weather changes you need to re-tune you vehicle, here in minnesota, i need to re-tune it every day i run it because of the constant change in weather. If i run my truck in the morning i will most likely have to re-tune it if i ran it again in the afternoon
Old 02-05-2009, 11:49 AM
r\c justin

u pretty much have to retune it every time u run it...
Old 02-07-2009, 05:03 PM
dukectyking

i checked my idle the carb is only 1mm but as soon as i start it it goes to full power i cant figure out why
Old 02-07-2009, 05:06 PM
perhamrocks

your low speed my be leaned way out, and this may sound stupid, but is your throttle valve all the way back?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:57 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: jcon82

hi. I'm a first time nitro owner with a few questions. first off when i broke the engine in this past weekend it gave me a real hard time staying at idle without spinning the wheels, I was constantly adjusting the idle screw without much sucess. I wanted to know if this is normal during brake in or if i did something wrong. Next, I could'nt get the engine to idle while the wheels were on the ground. and i also wanted to know where i could buy all the hop ups that are advertised on the poster that came with the truck.
When you turn your idle screw out, does it close the carb some? Take off your air filter and make sure. As you screw in your idle setscrew, it should open the carb. As you lossn the setscreew out, it should close the carb. At idle, it should be open no more than like 0.5mm, refer to you owner's manual for the correct opening distance. If it is too much, lossesn the idle screw out until it is open at the right distance.

Now, with the carb idle setscrew set to where it is supposed to be, take your RC out and start it again. Does it still engage the clutch while at idle? Try turning your idle setscrew out a quarter trun more to close the carb just a bit more.

Does it still engage the clutch? The next thing is too look at your other needles, the low speed needle (LSN) and high speed needle (HSN).
For now, since your RC is still new, make sure your needles are at facory setting, they could be set too lean, and this is not good since your engine is still not FULLY broken in, even though your engine has doen the INITIAL break-in.
So, if your needles are off, turn them back to factory setting. Factry setting is usually way to rich, so lean them in in small increments, 8th turns to where you are closer to lean, but you still are on the rich side.
Start by tuning your HSN first, then tune the LSN. Make sure you get your idle to where you can sit the RC without the clutch engaging.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:53 PM
jcon82

Thanks savagejim. I had alot better luck with it today since it was warmer. although for awhile it would'nt run without the igniter on but once it warmed up it was fine. Then, after it cooled down for the final part of the break in it just would'nt start. it just kept flooding. I think the battery on my igniter was dead but i'm not sure. Should it be smoking all the time or just part to full throttle?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:21 PM
bigwaltc

Try wrapping the head with Alum foil then get a hair drier or heat gun and point it down at the glow plug preheat the Eng with it. Lean out your HSN 1/8 turn it should start. But don't lean it out to much during break in it should smoke all the time and leak out raw fuel out the exhaust. After 6 or 7 tanks you can start leaning out the HSN but just !/8 to 1/4 turns at a time[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 02-10-2009, 07:10 PM
tucker12

I am new at this sport and the steering servo isnt getting power. i switched the throtle and steering on the reciver and it still didnt work. but the throtle servo worked. is the servo bad? and if so what is the part #?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 PM
jcon82

Take the servo out and open it up, check for loose or broken connections. the white wire on my steering servo was broken off on mine when I took it out of the box but was easy to solder back on.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
phareel

I have a similar problem and i am wondering if i should do the same. My throttle doesn't engage when i turn on the volcano. when i squeeze the trigger nothing happens accel. or brake. i think that the servo might be bad. i do have steering though.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:22 PM
tucker12

i just talked to redcat racing and they said to send in the servo under warenty and they would send you another.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:31 PM
phareel

is there a specific way i need to do that. i guess i should use the address on their website and send it there.