Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Newbie w/ question on Gear Mesh

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Big_Rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie w/ question on Gear Mesh

So I just bought the Volcano S30 and am in the process of getting everything set up. I have never owned a RC Car before so I have no clue what I am doing. I am trying to set my gear mesh but have some concerns that I am not doing it right. The manual say that you want this as tight as possible. I followed the instruction and used a piece of paper between the spur gear and the clutch bell and tightened everything up. But when I go to roll the truck it doesn't move. The manual says that is should roll freely. But when I back things off so it does roll freely if doesn't seem that gears are as tight. Any advice someone can give me would be great.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:03 PM
rclynx

Default RE: Newbie w/ question on Gear Mesh

When it says as tight as possible it means as close as possible without touching.............if you do a search there are many places on this forum that have write ups about this problem. I am actually a bad one to ask because I do it all from site and feel (old fart way) been doing it to long [:-]
Old 02-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Big_Rob

So it needs to roll with no binding at all?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Big_Rob

And if anyone can give me link to another thread about how to do this that would be great. i did a search but can't seem to find any better instructions.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:50 PM
perhamrocks

it should be as close together as possible while still not binding
Old 02-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

It's actually not that hard man. Just slide the engine up to the spur gear, snug up the screws under the chasis till they just barely hold the engine still, you still want to be able to slide it with some effort. Now hold the clutch bell still and try to wiggle the sput gear. You want the absolutely slightest movement in the the spur gear. Like only a mm. or so. It should roll freely then. Then tighten up the screws under the chasis. Then check it again. You may have to do this a couple times, loosen the screws and slide it in out, but be patient and you'll get it. Trust me, the time it takes to get it right, will pay off when your not stripping sput gears. Just remember, you want just a very very slight movement with the spur gear when holding the clutch bell still.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:02 PM
rjsdad

The paprer is suppose to do two things. First the thickness of the paper should give you the space you need between the gears and secondly the paper should have a wear pattern showing you how the gears are being meshed. The marks on the paper should be of even length. I personally use mesh my gears like Brett185, roll it on the floor felling and listening to the gears. Also when you have it just right, I tighten all of the engine screws check again... then I back one out place blue loctite and retighten. Check again to make sure nothing had shifted, then remove anothe engine screw and repeat. Check all of your screws and loctite the screws that may loosen due to vibration. I would not use any loctite on any screws that screws into plastic because removal of that screw may damage the threads.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

Good point. I forgot to mention the loctite, use only BLUE.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Big_Rob

Thanks for everyones help, got it meshed and broke in.