Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Alternate bodies for volcano

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Doctp1885

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternate bodies for volcano

hello,

Just wondering if there is a website for alternate volcano bodies? When I was researching for best price, i saw several other styles of body and when i went to my LHS, i saw that they had volcanos. the pic had the color i wanted, but when i open it, it was a typical blue/silver. just curious if their is a website, so when i do trash mine, i can replace it with a color or style i like.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:00 PM
RedcatRacing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Alternate bodies for volcano

Why not just paint your own exactly how you want to.

Here is the link for the clear body

http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/08035

Darin
Old 03-26-2009, 11:39 AM
robriley

i plan on just getting a parma body and painting it myself once i trash my original body.
by the way, i got my volcano with the baja (v.w. bug) styled body and it's really cool.
i'm pretty sure that you can just get a parma body and make it work.
speaking of bodies...
one thing that i don't like is having to take the body on and off every time i want to run my volcano.
i 'm thinking about just cutting a hole in the roof to access the engine much easier...but i don't like the hole in the roof look.
besides that, even tho the engine is down pretty far from the roof, i think a hole in the roof MIGHT cause some damage to the engine if the truck is rolled over just right...if it happens to roll over on to a sharp rock or something.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Doctp1885

I would get a clear one, but i'm a horrible painter. by the time i'm done with it, it's gonna look like bird droppings.

I'm the same boat as you Rob with the cutting in the body, but I felt it was necessary...for ventilation. Now that I put a power starter, next body will definately be smaller than the one I cut and that was only becuase I made it big enough to where I could reach the puller.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Doctp1885

I would get a clear one, but i'm a horrible painter. by the time i'm done with it, it's gonna look like bird droppings.

I'm the same boat as you Rob with the cutting in the body, but I felt it was necessary...for ventilation. Now that I put a power starter, next body will definately be smaller than the one I cut and that was only becuase I made it big enough to where I could reach the puller.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:28 PM
el_tonto

Painting is easy. You just have to remember that it's critical to do many light coats! That first coat especially - since if that one runs or drips then it's visible on the outside of the shell. After the 2nd or 3rd coat, if the paint runs it won't be visible from the outside so it doesn't matter (you paint the inside, in case you didn't know). The classic beginner mistake is too much paint on that first coat.

As for cutting holes and damaging the cooling head, well if you land on a decent rock it'll go straight through the body shell anyway but you have a couple of options - fabricate a rollbar of some sort, or simply drill holes in the top of the cooling head and put zip ties though the holes. Then if you skid on the pavement, the zip ties get scraped up instead of the aluminum.

As for the pull start, I untied mine and put a longer tube around the pull cord. Now it protrudes through the hole in the body shell. I was sick of fumbling around inside the cutout, around a hot cooling head, just to restart my engine.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:56 PM
robriley

yes, if you get a clear body, painting is easy. you can actually brush paint those bodies (if you are bad with spray cans) and they will still look decent. but it's hard to get complete coverage using a brush, and you may end up weith brush marks visible in the paint when you look at the body from the outside.
yes, you must paint them on the inside. once the paint is on the inside, they will look like they have a bunch of clear coat on them from the outside because of the clear plastic.
i for one am a painter (i have been building and custom painting model cars for years) and i use nothing but laquer paints.
spray painting the clear bodies is simple, but like el tonto said, spray light coats until the inside of the body is covered. (allow dry time between each light coat) you have to think backwards when painting from the inside. if you want to paint the windows and the chrome trim, you have to paint those areas first before you do the final body color. alot of the parma (and other) bodies come with window masks that are already cut out. you just peel & stick them onto the inside of the windows before you paint. remove the masks after the paint is dry and you will have clear windows. then, if you want to paint the windows black, just spray the whole inside of the body black. since you have already put down the body color, the black will not afect it....it will only be black on areas that are clear.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:23 AM
r\c justin

here is the body i am working on for my volcano... i will hopefully finish it up this weekend
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16938.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1167101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16394.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1167102  
Old 03-27-2009, 12:12 PM
robriley

how do you attach pictures here ??
Old 03-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Doctp1885

Ah I C. Once I get about 6mos into RC Nitro, I'll venture in customizing a body. Thanks!