Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Gear mesh for direct drive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Doctp1885

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear mesh for direct drive?

Got my Direct Drive today. Was a little worried I didnt set it up since the truck wouldnt move. started the truck up on a block and very slowly throttle a little. it's alot better now. few question with the setup now. what's the gear mesh on it? it was a little loose, then i brought is little closer and it still has a slight play in it if i jiggle the spur. not much, just a little. should it be firm where it doesnt jiggle at all?

By the way, didnt have a chance to run it. got dark and I took tomorrow and friday off. woot!!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 PM
robriley

Default RE: Gear mesh for direct drive?

take a peice of regular printer paper, tear it into a small strip and put it between the spur gear and the cluchbell gear. roatate the clutch bell to feed the paper in between the gears, and then reverse the rotation to get the paper back out. the paper should have imprints of gear teeth on it, and not be torn.
this is how i set mine, and i have not had any problems out of it, and i'm still running the original spur gear.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:38 PM
chevyderek72

Ya Robs right, i just mesh it by eye and feel, you learn eventually.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Doctp1885

cool. did that. all good.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:56 AM
richardtf

ORIGINAL: Doctp1885

cool. did that. all good.

hey doc...is this the clutch bell that came with the single gear trany?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14319.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	1181313  
Old 04-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Doctp1885

It sure is. was surprised with the vented 13th. when you get yours, dont be shock when you think you cant roll the truck. sit it on a block and very slow throttle. it'll loosen it up. it's a kickass kit and did some test runs in the parking lot. it'll take off with hardly any throttle and keeps wanting to go faster. i ran out of concrete and had to stop. it's got a lot of torque and you'll have to adjust with your steering on the road. doesnt matter so much in the dirt or grass, but running straight is little scary. My only freakin delima now is how to keep the engine at optimal temp. idling is always around 210-218range, and if I blip the trottle several times, it'll be in the 250 range, then if I give it a 5 sec full throttle, it'll spike to 270-280. but as soon as I stop and give it 3-5sec after initial temp, it's rapidly go back down to normal 210 range after about 15sec of idling. IF i rich the HSN by 1/8 turn, it'll putter and RPM will start falling till it quicks. This is the only thing that is getting me frustrated.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:05 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Hey guys. A nitro engine is designed to be on and off the throttle, like when you run on the track. SOooo, if you do alot of wide open throttle(WOT) runs right in a row the temps are gonna be way way high. You want to run out and run back and run around like as if you were on a track , on and off the throttle, and then test the temps to get an accurate reading of what the engine temps are.

I'm glad to hear you are happy with the Single speed transmissions.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:29 PM
chevyderek72

Plus it sounds like your picking it up and flooring it for 5 seconds. that means that no air is running across the cooling fins. It would be cooler if it was on the ground running.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Doctp1885

Haha...I did the newb run then. yeah, i've been holdin the trigger on straight runs for testing and it's always in the high temps. i did the on/off throttle and the temp stayed 255-260 range. so now I know.

Thanks allaboutfunhobbies. the vented 13th was a nice surprise and the kit was sweet looking. definately diggin the direct drive.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:14 PM
richardtf

ORIGINAL: Doctp1885

Haha...I did the newb run then. yeah, i've been holdin the trigger on straight runs for testing and it's always in the high temps. i did the on/off throttle and the temp stayed 255-260 range. so now I know.

Thanks allaboutfunhobbies. the vented 13th was a nice surprise and the kit was sweet looking. definately diggin the direct drive.

me too i am experiencing that high temp every time i hold the throttle to long,so try to rich it, i thought it was lean
Old 04-16-2009, 06:24 PM
chevyderek72

Well the thing is that i do full speed runs, i try not to stay at full rpm for too long. But it deffinitely stays at full rpm for a little bit. But when i bring it in thats when its at its hottest, like 250.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:04 PM
rjsdad

can someone post a picture of a direct drive? I have no clue what it looks like. Thanks in advance