Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

[SOLVED] Whats the difference between Monsoon XP and XTR?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

[SOLVED] Whats the difference between Monsoon XP and XTR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Decivox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [SOLVED] Whats the difference between Monsoon XP and XTR?

Whats the difference?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:32 PM
R-U-FASTER

Default RE: [SOLVED] Whats the difference between Monsoon XP and XTR?

These two models are built on very different platforms. More parts are going to be different between the two models than the same. There is no problem at all getting parts for the XP models, they are all available.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:04 PM
siberiantnk

I am in the same situation. Is XTR better in any way? Would it be difficult to find spare parts for the XTR model?
Do any of these two models come with upgraded parts?

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Decivox

Which one would you recommend for bashing? I mean I will be racing a little too, but mostly be doing just fun offroad ****. Right now I am leaning towards the XP because of the ground clearance.

Like is there any build quality difference between the two? Which one, overall, is better?
Old 07-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Decivox

Sorry for the double post, but I came across some information on another forum.

Redcat just licensed the rights to Team VTX's manufacturer (Team VTX had an exlcusive that just expired) so the new model will be much improved (ball diffs, better layout/parts etc) but very similar to the current gen Monsoon. Team VTX was formed by a bunch of GS Racing guys who left the GS factory to start their own so performance and quality should be awesome at this price point... not a Losi or RC8T but still respectable and a crapload less expensive. There's even an RCNT thread on them athttp://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46684

I guess there isnt a lot of people talking about them, since this thread is already on the first page of Google!
Old 07-21-2009, 03:38 PM
siberiantnk

Decivox,
I am in the same situation as you are, I cant find a site where the differences are stated.
Do any of these two models have upgraded parts?
Old 07-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Decivox

ORIGINAL: siberiantnk

Decivox,
I am in the same situation as you are, I cant find a site where the differences are stated.
Do any of these two models have upgraded parts?
Well from what I understand, it appears that Redcat has bought a license to basically reproduce the TeamVTX ST1R under its own brand. The only difference I can see (between the Monsoon XTR and the STR1), is that the TeamVTX uses a drill start .26 engine, while the Redcat uses a pull start .28. As for the differences between the Monsoon XP and the XTR, according to the guy I quoted, the XTR is a better truggy. I am in the process of finding peoples opinions, using both names. I am having trouble returning results.

I am also trying to find out if you can use other manufacturers parts with this model, as I know parts from Kyosho and a few others worked on the XP.

Edit:

I found a thread on here thats about the TeamVTX ST1 and ST1R.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_52..._1/key_/tm.htm

I am reading through now to see what complaints/parts exist for the truggy.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:45 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok....to answer your questions....first off the xp and xrt are totally different truggies...only parts that will interchange between the 2 will most likely ( I say most likely but an sure only) will be standard truggy parts...meaning wings, wheels, tires etc.....

which is better?...easy...xtr hands down....will be a better basher or racer for you...granted the xp is a nice truggy...its just the xtr is way better...

are there upgrade parts?.....well last time I looked on redcats site they arent listing ANY parts.... now origanally I thought the new monsoon and hurricane (xrt) were mirror images of the team vtx and himoto rx series offerings...but I do notice some differences just by looking at pics....also I've heard that other things may be different also..for instance gearing... older himoto offerings had straight gears but the new ones have more of a worm gear...from what I understand is redcats have the older version gears (I dont know for a fact so dont call me out...lol) if anyone has one (monsoon or hurricane xrt) I would like to know...anyways I believe most of the layout is the same...and if I am correct you should be able to use team vtx upgrades or himoto upgrades,,, which both have some nice upgrades..be it billit alium towers and blocks to all cv shafts to get rid of the dog bones ...also have carbon fiber goodies and so forth...I am sure redcat will be offering these as well...

in a nutshell...if a friend of mine was to buy a monsoon I would diff tell them to get the xrt...although it may have differences then my himoto rxt-1 I still beleive you will be more happy with your purchase over the xp
Old 07-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Decivox

ORIGINAL: firebird78

ok....to answer your questions....first off the xp and xrt are totally different truggies...only parts that will interchange between the 2 will most likely ( I say most likely but an sure only) will be standard truggy parts...meaning wings, wheels, tires etc.....

which is better?...easy...xtr hands down....will be a better basher or racer for you...granted the xp is a nice truggy...its just the xtr is way better...

are there upgrade parts?.....well last time I looked on redcats site they arent listing ANY parts.... now origanally I thought the new monsoon and hurricane (xrt) were mirror images of the team vtx and himoto rx series offerings...but I do notice some differences just by looking at pics....also I've heard that other things may be different also..for instance gearing... older himoto offerings had straight gears but the new ones have more of a worm gear...from what I understand is redcats have the older version gears (I dont know for a fact so dont call me out...lol) if anyone has one (monsoon or hurricane xrt) I would like to know...anyways I believe most of the layout is the same...and if I am correct you should be able to use team vtx upgrades or himoto upgrades,,, which both have some nice upgrades..be it billit alium towers and blocks to all cv shafts to get rid of the dog bones ...also have carbon fiber goodies and so forth...I am sure redcat will be offering these as well...

in a nutshell...if a friend of mine was to buy a monsoon I would diff tell them to get the xrt...although it may have differences then my himoto rxt-1 I still beleive you will be more happy with your purchase over the xp
Thank you for your response. It looks like I will be getting the Redcat Monsoon XRT because Team VTX doesnt seem to have any dealers in Canada.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:05 AM
RCToysNh

One important point everyone here is not stating.... the Monsoon XP has been discontinued from the RedCat product line, and yes parts are still available and will be for many years.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:31 PM
jigawatt

XP line is to be gone according to a Redcat staff post, and the XTR's are taking their place.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Decivox

ORIGINAL: firebird78

Thank you for your response. It looks like I will be getting the Redcat Monsoon XRT because Team VTX doesnt seem to have any dealers in Canada.

anytime bro...I'm not positive but I dont think vtx offers this truggy anymore anyway...I know himoto has a new truggy and buggy in testing so they will be offering new models shortly.....anyways I have one of these truggies and I am sure you will be very happy with your monsoon xrt purchase