Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

running in sand

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:44 PM
chevyderek72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running in sand

ok well im at coronado island in cali and im gonna do some runnin at the beach in the next couple days with the quake. whats a good prefilter? i was thinking that bandage wrap stuff. its tan and they have the kinds where you use a piece of metal that has sharp things on each end to hold it, and the one that clings to itself. so whats a good prefilter to keep that sand outa my engine.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:50 AM
cswtornado

Default RE: running in sand

if you just run it on wet sand, sand probly won't get in even with the normal filter.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:55 AM
robriley

oh... sand has to be murder on the bearings....and the gears in the diffs.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:18 PM
nubzorz

Id say get some nylons and cut a square or round piece and put it over your filter. Tape it or rubber band it whatever you prefer for a little more protectin. And use plenty of air filter oil. you should be fine.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:00 PM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

Put a condom over it - then you'll really be protected! Of course, you may need to adjust the needles a bit since it may want to run kind of rich.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:01 AM
chevyderek72

Ya ill just throw a condom on it and lean it a bit, like a 1/4 turn, or should i just do 1/8th? [sm=lol.gif]
Old 07-27-2009, 01:45 PM
rjsdad

robriley,

your right, I took my 1/10 and let my son run it thorugh the sand volleyball court at the park and when I got hoe, the bearings were locking up like crazy. i had to use alot of wd-40 and my air compressor to blow that stuff out. My wheels had a pin hole located on the innerside of the rim and sand is now inside of the rim and tire. The only way to get it out would be to dismount the tires...so I just went ahead and put my other set of tires on it.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:54 PM
chevyderek72

It was a blast to drive, throwin rooster tails. Haha i had one lady come up and ask how long i can go on one battery, I dont think she's ever seen a nitro. Couple times i would pull some 20 foot wheelies when the sand would dip and go back up, not even a huge dip, it was sick. So i found this jump, it dipped down about 4 feet and then came up 5 feet. So it was about a foot over the normal sand. I smoothed it off and went up to it at about half speed. well there was grass and i didnt notice the part that didnt slope, so i nailed it and just stopped. It shut off right when i hit it for some reason, i was like ok thats weird, oh well. Started it up and went to do it again, did it half speed and it was sweet, so i go back to do it again and it shuts off. So i go to check it out and start it, turns out my air filter fell off [:@] So i go back to the hotel and check it out, didnt find any sand or scratches that i could see inside the sleeve/piston. So im gonna pull the carb off (wouldnt come off at the hotel, its stuck, i pulled the carb off another blown sh and it had to be forced off) and clean it real good and we'll see how it goes. Hopefully worst case cenario i can just buy the 6 port sleeve and piston and ill be good.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:40 AM
rjsdad

Cool, did you notice any sand in the bearings? How about any sand inside the tire? Glad that you are enjoying yourself.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:32 PM
chevyderek72

No actually the bearings seemed great, i still gotta clean it off. Sand is everywhere though, i brought some air dusted for comps and that didnt really move any sand unless it was right next to the nozzle. So i need to use my air compressor.