Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

HPI g3.0 .18 engine in Volcano?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:36 AM
NilSatis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI g3.0 .18 engine in Volcano?

Hi guys, I thought this would have been asked but couldnt find it using the search so just wondered what issues if any there are with installing the above engine on a Volcano. Yes, I know its not the greatest engine I could use, but I have a new one here, and it is rotary carb, and seems to be a similar crankcase size etc.

What issues will I have installing this on the Redcat?

Thanks Pete.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:36 AM
NilSatis

Default RE: HPI g3.0 .18 engine in Volcano?

Anyone online, who has a Volcano with experience of changing the engine, any advice would be great as have today only to work on it (given the wonderful time scale by my other half) and am wondering whether to attempt the g3.0 fit, just think there is something that will stop it working, not sure what.....

I have a great SH.18 engine here, which is perfect for the Volcano, but minus carb, so have got that ordered and need something to work in the meantime! Thanks
Old 07-31-2009, 02:49 PM
chevyderek72

That hpi motor should work, i dont know why it whouldnt.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:37 PM
NilSatis

Yup, seems to fit straight on after all, the rotostart backplate is a bit different so you have to get a little bit creative with the roto starter, but she works.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:40 PM
chevyderek72

Cool, so you got it in there?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:53 AM
NilSatis

Sorry for the long time taking in replying, lol....well, got it in there just to mock it up thinking the roto start would be the problem, and it is the crank type that is different, sh.18 has a threaded crank and the g3.0 has a much longer normal crank, so a few issues there.

I think it could possibly be sorted, will have a go, and post up what i found, but for now, she doesnt work. [:'(] dont think it will line up with the spur at the moment...as crank is the wrong length, need some sort of adapter or shims, and need some time to look at it again. Damn women!

Anyone else done this on this truck, I have seen a few threads where people needed to change their crank type and got an adapter; but none for the Volcano.

Need a Redcat guru to let me know whether it is a project worth bothering with? Shame to let the engine sit there.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:44 AM
NilSatis

Any ideas whether a sg crank nitro engine will work with the Volcano? Any adjustable 1/10 engine mounts that might work, the issue is the engine would sit too far back on the sg crank and does not touch the spur, i think if the engine mounts were adjustable it might work, but not 100% sure. Seems like a bit of trial and error with some bits to see if the sg crank can either be extended with an adapter or some mounts that might work, Ive seen some cen small block adjustable mounts that may do....still would appreciate some advice from anyone that has done this?! [&:]
Old 08-03-2009, 01:07 PM
madmarty

i am not sure, but would something like this work http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXM721&P=SM it threads onto the crank
Old 08-03-2009, 02:20 PM
chevyderek72

No that pilot shaft is used on the sh and vx engine, the crank that has a short shaft that has threads all on it. The sg shaft is longer and only has threads at the base of the shaft near the bearing. I know people have put big blocks in their volcano's with sg shafts, so i bet it would work.

I bet you could get a 3 shoe clutch from a big block and use that to make it work. I would think it would work but i dont know for sure.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:35 PM
NilSatis

mm, have tried a few things but not that lol. Will give it a go tomorrow and see if that works, i see what your saying, as I did hear a few people have done the bb conversion, could be an idea