Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Aluminum shock problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:28 AM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum shock problems

I am having problems with my shocks; I have gone through 4 shocks all with the same problems.
The cap at the bottom of the shock body keeps popping off; I am using 40 wt silicon shock oil and once this happens the cap cannot be screwed back on because the threading gets damaged.
I am not a hardcore basher; I really don't do wicked jumps because I have only just got into the hobby in may of this year.
I dont think redcat makes replacement parts and what I do is use silicon tape inside the threading of the cap and on the outside of the cap I use electrical tape to secure it back on the shock body which holds temporarily until I decide to get a complete new shock.
Why is this happening and how can I prevent this?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22151.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	1263987  
Old 08-27-2009, 02:14 AM
chevyderek72

Default RE: Aluminum shock problems

It might be too high of a weight oil. But i would think the tops would bust off. Cause when you land a jump the piston moves up, and puts pressure above the piston, and creates suction under it. I would pick up the big bores from the 1/8th ultralites, they are amazing.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Landslide Bill WNY

Default RE: Aluminum shock problems

Rufaster has a great selection and is the best he will be a big help Mike is great!