Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat stock tires and foam...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:48 PM
GerardAtJob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat stock tires and foam...

I tryed my Avalanche this week (for the first time since the last 4 months) and I was wondering why it had a so bad handling... I got it NEW in box 9 months ago.... I didn't ran once this winter. So I checked if the foam were ok... the white one is a new one to replace this black crap....

Note: The white one are supposed to last a few years... why my redcat's one are now dust?

I got a defect or something like this is the normal state of a 9month foam minus 4months of winter?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:54 PM
fahaka

Default RE: Redcat stock tires and foam...

I bought mine in the package, for my earthquake, and never had that problem
Old 03-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Mickstix

Did you run it through water alot or something? I've heard of foams desintigrating after being boiled (to get the tire off the rim) but never seen nothin like that from just normal running.. Definitely looks like some kind of dry rot though.. I bet she handles better now though!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:14 PM
GerardAtJob

I accidentally ran in a few small puddle, but thoses were never more than 1cm lol

and I used a debonder "Great Planes PROCA" to unglue this thing...
So I didn't boiled the tires at all. I still have to do the 3 others...

Let me tell you, it's no fun at all..

Old 03-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Mickstix

Tell me about it.. I had to change tires once cause I cracked a rim, but still had good tires.. I used the "bake" method on mine.. Wasnt too bad, but still a pain in the ass.. I didnt know I needed to let them cool completely before trying to remove the tire, so I ended up baking them 3 or 4 times, for 15 mins at a time.. Finally got them all off w/o damaging the tires, but good thing I didnt need the rims.. They were oblong by the time I was done.. lol..  Hey, just thought of something else.. If ya use any cleaning agents when your done bashing, make sure and spray it onto a rag, then wipe off the rims/tires.. Cause if ya spray it on the rims it could get inside and eat at the foams?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:58 PM
GerardAtJob

Do you think a little bit of WD40 could burn the foam like that?
If yes, it might be that... the other tire foam seems less destroyed than this one...

Normally, after each run, I use WD40 a bit, then use an air-compressor to dry it ....
perhaps that's it... but for my rims normally I only use a scotttowel lol

Anyway I'm going to bed GNight!

Old 03-12-2010, 07:42 PM
GerardAtJob

I tryed the boiling method for the others and it's much more faster.

1- 5 Minutes boiling
2- Use Unbonder when necessary
~10-15 minutes per tires.

Works nicely.

The other foam were less destroyed than the first, but... still at least 1/2 dust , the rest were little pieces lol

Check this out : the boiling technique : topsecretcarssecrets.com/cars/rc-tire-removal-by-boiling-prolineracingcom
Old 03-15-2010, 06:57 PM
a4d2a0m

I have a volcano.. after a year, all four of my tires were dust.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:08 AM
GerardAtJob

In one of my tires, I got one foam in "semi-good" shape... it's only a flat foam folded in two... rounded around my rim, nothing like the white foam on my picture.
It's hardly something that could be called a "tire foam"...

Note : with the new foam it's running more stable than ever...
Old 03-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Mickstix

Yea, I dont know what they use for foam.. My Tornado (1/10 buggy) didnt have any foam in it's tires.. Adding a good set of tires and foams greatly improves the handling, landing, cornering, etc.. Probaby just another cost saving measure though..
Old 04-10-2010, 01:29 AM
catbob007

yeah I had the same problem but the black dust was gone I thought the foam was never there. It's just a bad batch of foam yhe other pair i purchased were just fine
Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 AM
formula87

ORIGINAL: Mickstix

Did you run it through water alot or something? I've heard of foams desintigrating after being boiled (to get the tire off the rim) but never seen nothin like that from just normal running.. Definitely looks likesome kind ofdry rot though.. I bet she handles better now though!
So to get all the glue off you can boil the tires off the wheels? how long or how do you know to not do damage to wheels or if they have chrome finish?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Mickstix

I've heard boiling will dull the chrome finish pretty quickly.. If you dont mind that, boil them for about 10-15 mins, then remove the bead that was face down in the water.. Once that's done, flip em' over and boil for another 10-15 mins and remove the other side.. Once the tires are off the rims, use an exacto knife or dremel tool to remove any left over glue residue.. Then you should be set to mount up a new set!

Note:I've also heard that you should run them under cool water as soon as ya take em' out of the boiling water. The change in temp makes the glue brittle and easier to remove the tire.