Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Extreme brushless Volcano EPX

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:35 PM
cowana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme brushless Volcano EPX

Evening.

I've got a Volcano EPX with the Novatech brushless 3300KV motor. I'm powering it with a 11.1V 5000mAh lipo pack (hardcase).

I took it to a wide open space today, and was amazed with it's power. Full throttle from standstill will cause it to flip over backwards and roll over about 15 times! It takes a slow acceleration to get it going on without it landing on the roof.

Today I had to limit the throttle to 75% (radio DX3S), as any more causes it to flip. The reason:

When driving at high speed (75% throttle) , the car drives with the nose pointing up - the front wheels either skimming the ground, or in the air. Without adding weight, how can I get the nose down? I can't move the battery - it is as far forward as possible. As I mentioned, any more above 75% and the front lifts off completly - not great!

Thanks for any ideas!

Andrew
Old 04-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Mickstix

Default RE: Extreme brushless Volcano EPX

Couple things you might try.. Add a wheelie bar, try and adjust your weight distribution (move battery and other electronics as far forward as possible) but I think tuning the diffs (with different weights of diff oil) would probably have the most benefit.. Take some of the traction away from the rears maybe, so the fronts can pull their weight? Also stiffer spings in the rear may help control the weight shift? Also practicing being smooth on the throttle will help as well..

Old 04-19-2010, 08:15 PM
TCA999
My Feedback: (32)

Just letting you know that the stock setup in the Volcano EPX Pro's can only handle 7.4v LIPO's. You will burn up your ESC in a jiffy.

"Take Luck..." Thanks Brian Regan!

Old 04-21-2010, 12:57 AM
cowana

Hi Brian

I've upgraded the ESC, so the voltage iss only limitted by the motor's 18v limit.

I've slackened the front shocks, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Andrew
Old 05-03-2010, 01:43 PM
cowana

It's much better now with the front shocks slackened - I managed to touch full throttle a few times. I'm getting better at full throttle control, and learning not to steer when slowing down - slowing down puts all the weight onto the front wheels (the back ones sometimes come off the ground!), so steering is a bad idea.

Using a DX3S telemetry set I measured 48mph top speed with a freshly charged 11.1v lipo. Note this doesn't include tire ballooning - but it doesn't include wheels slipping, so I'll assume they cancel each other out. I'm eager to get this thing to 50 - how can I get the extra 2mph? I've already converted it to all ball bearings, and put a heatsink on the motor. I don't want to gear it up any more, as the motor currently gets quite toasty. Any ideas for the extra 4%?

Andrew