RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   CLUTCH BELL AND CLUTCH SPRING UPGRADES (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/5132243-clutch-bell-clutch-spring-upgrades.html)

ThunderbirdJunkie 12-20-2006 12:23 PM

RE: CLUTCH BELL AND CLUTCH SPRING UPGRADES

the torque tuned pipe for the nitro TC3 is what i've run almost exclusively in my off road small block cars. that pipe works EXCELLENT with the VX series engines. you'll see a gain with the RPM tuned pipe, but not as much of one, since the VX doesn't rely as much on revs to make power as a typical .12 does.

nitrospeed33 12-20-2006 12:26 PM

wait, so your saying the pipe i bought is good?? or are you saying the other one is good??

ThunderbirdJunkie 12-20-2006 01:10 PM

I'm saying both the associated pipes are good, just the torque tuned pipe would have better for your application. both will make more power than the Redcat aluminum pipe

nitrospeed33 12-20-2006 03:06 PM

sweet:Dgood news

zack221 12-21-2006 03:24 PM

cool it finally got stickied i just noticed this good idea ehroof

Chubbysdad 12-21-2006 03:55 PM

Yes I took care of that.

b24jose 12-27-2006 02:06 PM

i didnt see if anyone put this down but what does anyone think about the hpi teflon clutch shoes tower stock#LXVK12 i thought they looked pretty good its teflon should last a while

j-boy 01-07-2007 12:35 PM

I'm usin the teflon shoes but they were a lot taller than the stockers so I ground them down. Somebody said that you can just leave the E-clip off but I didn't want to do it that way so I cut em down till they were same as the stockers. I got a HPI clutchbell and the teflon shoes and both seem to work just fine. I cant say they have made the buggy perform any better but I really really like those wire type springs. I couldnt take another broken wrap around[:@]

These parts fit the 1/10 single speed buggy (himoto calls it a cyclone) with the .18 engine. I dont know if they will fit any other type of redcat/himoto so beware!!

HPI Part # A990 is the bell

HPI part # A886 is the shoes

Just noticed that this is all in the first post of the thread... good job me [sm=49_49.gif]

MiniCwik 01-08-2007 09:04 AM

Great thread, used this just this past weekend to help my bro-in-law replace his clutch spring that snapped within 3 hours of opening the box after receiving it.

Does anyone recommend using these MIP springs - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUR89&P=7 as they are alot cheaper than buying the Traxxas 4146 when all you can use is the spring and not the shoes.

I'd like to keep a couple spare springs on hand in case either of us have failures in the future.

Another question, would moving up to this HPI clutchbell - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLST9&P=7 help too?

Last one, on the exhaust pipes on the Redcats or other similar Himoto's, do they all have the return line connection for the fuel tank like my stock one does?

Thank you,

ehroof 01-08-2007 10:35 AM

the mip springs are fine, definately get the clutch bell the stock ones are out of round and will strip the spur gear, all nitro cars have the return line, this pushes the fuel to the engine by making pressure in the tank.

MiniCwik 01-08-2007 10:49 AM

Thanks ehroof, I will be ordering a few MIP springs, and the HPI vented clutch bell housing.

At a later date I will look at upgrades for the exhaust pipe, unless you think it'd be good to get it sooner rather than later as well?

ehroof 01-08-2007 11:00 AM

you could probably save on shipping if you order one now, i like this one and its only $20: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMH0&P=7

MiniCwik 01-08-2007 11:14 AM

Since I am upgrading the clutch bell housing, should I keep the stock aluminum or upgrade the clutch bell shoes to teflon?

ehroof 01-08-2007 11:19 AM

you can use the stock ones, they will work fine with the upgraded clutch bell

MiniCwik 01-08-2007 02:37 PM

Thank you (as usual) I'm on a new clutch bell and spring campaign now [8D]

ehroof 01-08-2007 02:42 PM

you will be very happy you changed them, i havent stripped any gears since i changed them, havent broken any springs either.

MiniCwik 01-08-2007 02:50 PM

That there is priceless advice, I am going to be sure and inform my bro-in-law as well since he has the same rig I do, only a different color and he already replaced his broken clutch spring. Thanks again!

glk420247 01-08-2007 04:39 PM

I use this clutch in my tornado xp. Works very well.[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=a885&FVPROFIL=++]Hpi A885[/link]

MiniCwik 01-10-2007 07:47 AM

Well my clutch spring went on me yesterday (along with other things that were my fault ;)) ... I am so glad that I found this site/forum and have already ordered my parts the other day. Waiting on springs and new clutch bell housing, my bro-in-law who already had to replace his spring notices that his truck performs better with the Traxxas 4146 spring, could this be possible? Just replacing the spring with a better one yield better performance?

truckerbruce 01-10-2007 05:13 PM

hi , is the HPI 17T clutch bell and traxxas 4146x spring and shoes compatable with the volcano sv pro as well as the stx
thanks for any help

truckerbruce 01-10-2007 05:15 PM

BTW thats the infity .18 engine if it makes a differnce thanks

ehroof 01-10-2007 05:26 PM

yes it is compatable

truckerbruce 01-10-2007 05:46 PM

thanks for the fast reply love the forum too

MiniCwik 01-16-2007 07:31 AM

My MPI spring went on me, after just a couple runs ... I noticed when installing it that it was not as firm as the Traxxas 4146 spring.

Anyway, my clutch shoes are pretty scored up in spots and one even came off of its pin rather easily ...

I thought they were not supposed to just slide off of their pins with that e-clip on there?

Does the e-clip need to be lined up a certain way? Could that be part of the spring problem I seem to have?

Will the clutch shoes that come with the Traxxas 4146 work?

Should I get new clutch shoes or just smooth mine out some?

Thank you!

ehroof 01-16-2007 07:43 AM

the traxxas shoes are too small so they wont work. Make sure when you put the sping on that the clasp is not near where the shoes open or meet, it should be in the center of the clutch shoe. i would say buy new shoes. try the traxxas shoes and see how they work.