Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SICKLES RULE

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 07:55 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SICKLES RULE

ORIGINAL: Clean

I forgot to glue a joint and remembered it just as I was stepping into the shower. It was 1am so with nobody up I just ran down stairs to put a drop of CA on it so I'd be done. The nozzle was glogged good so as I was working with it I finally got it unplugged with a resultant stream of CA that shot out and down, on me, THERE.

Luckily it was mostly on hair which to clear the mess I just shaved. I was brand new baby boy for a while, kind of a weird experience. Worse when the hair starts growing back in.

Be careful and dress accordingly.

Errr ummm Thats not how you got the monicker "Clean" is it [:@][X(][&:]
Old 04-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

nah, thats a longer story that involves control line and a sunburn.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:51 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nah, thats a longer story that involves control line and a sunburn.

We have time. Tell all!

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Clean

It's also boring, I tell it in the 'how'd you get your handle thread' which I think there is one here, there and everywhere. (ie, use your search)

Quickly, I burned really bad one year at SIG's contest, head included. The hair I had just sucked up the lotion leaving me unprotected. Next year I went pre-emptive and shaved it off. Now the lotion went right on the head and I was protected but the MrClean thing started there but really kicked into gear when I started flying Combat in Wichita and Kansas City with the SPAD guys. I wasn't Clean, I didn't have the handle applied, when I was flying Gremlins in the local KC club. But when we went to play with the Wichita guys I was introduced that way.

Kinda funny feeling when they're saying this guy is coming down to whup up on ya, and you don't realize they're referencing you.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 PM
cajun1

Thanks Patrick for the plans for the LE Crusher. I built one many years ago, and apparently lost it in one of my few shop cleanings. No self respecting SPAD should need to wear a sharp LE,,,,,ever. I've been using the triple score method for rounding but the crusher works better.

And thanks Clean for the Sickle plans. I guess mine got lost in the same shop cleaning. I've got to stop cleaning. Just gets me in trouble. The Sickle was one of the best of the best SPAD designs. A great combat design till combat went to the long wing glider fad. But it is a great, quick building plane for just boring fast holes in the sky. The "Reaper" was thinking when he put this one on paper.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:29 AM
Clean

If you ever get a chance, build and combat some light foamy Gremlins with medium power 25's on them. They'll launch easily enough but they won't be so high speed. They turn quickly and are great fun for pursuit combat. Best done with 1 on 1. You're not out trying to drape as many streamers on a wing as possible. You just need to get a cut on your opponent and keep yours away from him.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:37 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

NP Cajun.  I wouldn't mind having the LE crusher, I just hate taking up that much space in my shop.  Would be cool to see a wall mounted version that would be up out of the way.  Maybe you can post us some pictures when you get that done.  
Old 06-12-2011, 07:58 PM
FrankC29

One of my favortie Spads was a Sickle with a Thunder Tiger .36 on a mouse can pipe, That particular engine ran so well it would idle perfectly, then accelerate perfectly, pointing straight up at all times. I spent a whole afternoon doing space shuttle launches off the grass.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:38 AM
Clean

I'd just like to say a Flipper Deluxe with a Tower 46 won the SPADfest 2011 Speed Competition.

The computer crashed and threw away the speed passes by another design and the third competitor didn't get close enough to the mic I think, they both looked and sounded a bit faster but the Flipper pilot was doing 115 and flying the course well, Ya gotta do both things to win. I still feel bad about the stupid computer though. Gonna have to setup a backup recorder next time.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

I'd just like to say a Flipper Deluxe with a Tower 46 won the SPADfest 2011 Speed Competition.

The computer crashed and threw away the speed passes by another design
Yeah BOTH times! Do you really expect me to believe a computer glitch happened to me and only me BOTH times I went up so your precious flipper could win! Shenanigans!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Clean

IF I run the event again this year I'm going to have my video camera going at the same time so we have a secondary backup to read off of.

Won't work for YOUR planes but everyone else will appreciate the insurance.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:55 AM
PatrickCurry

LOL Shenanigans.  LOL  Awesome.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Clean

Awesome to you.  I tell ya, the only thing worse then looking at a guy and saying my computer just locked up and threw your runs away is to look at him a second time and tell him the same.  Worked for everyone else.  Don't know why, didn't do anything different, but it locked up and left me cold.  I checked naming conventions and all, but it just locked up.

There was a radar gun there but i've never had good results from the radar gun and with this computer setup the only time I've had problems is with an electric plane that just wasn't loud enough.  I'm running software on my phone right now but when I buzzed it with my USS it didn't register the stick.  Either too quite or to low a pitch for the phone to pick up.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:39 PM
draftman1

with the sickle talk going on, I thought I would build one today. here is my version, its for SSC combat, a 48" w.s. and a magnum 15 XLS for power
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34883.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1648441  
Old 08-13-2011, 11:52 PM
PatrickCurry

I just meant the word.   Awesome word Gravity was busting your chops with. Sorry 'bout the computer problems.  Only thing I might recommend there is booting into Linux and finding software that'll do the same thing you're doing now.  That *may* be more reliable....  I'm diggin on Linux.  On the other hand it's probably more of a "sh!^ happens" situation that everybody understands Clean.  Maybe it was a situation like the "quiet" or "low pitched" that you mentioned..... maybe that plane's engine or airframe was just emitting some kind of harmonic that didn't allow it to be picked up.  Everybody knows you're the first one who wants to give everybody a fair run and get the best out of every pilot and every plane there.  You do a great job with the competition.  Of course that doesn't mean you're not going to catch hell when "sh!^ happens" just like you catch hell for everything else.  
Old 08-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Clean

understood, I was just filling in the folks that were driving by.  Sides, if you can't give your friends a ration of S, who can you give it too?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:21 PM
MrGreenSpeed

ORIGINAL: draftman1

with the sickle talk going on, I thought I would build one today. here is my version, its for SSC combat, a 48'' w.s. and a magnum 15 XLS for power
I like it, let us know how it works [8D]

What did You use for spar height?
is it a tapered spar?
Jeff
Old 08-15-2011, 07:48 PM
draftman1

I finaly got to maiden and WOW! I was impressed! it would roll forever!. I just need a couple of very minor adjustments and its good to go!

1" on the spad and yes, its tapered on top and bottom, about 7/16' on the ends