Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

My new SPAD workshop pics

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

My new SPAD workshop pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 01:51 AM
tileflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new SPAD workshop pics

I am too excited I just started setting up shop out in my new workshop,I was getting tired of tripping over airplanes in my house.So I went and bought a shed 24' x 12' last week.I insulated it and built my work bench.The bench is 8' long and 34" wide,made from medium density fiberboard.I put up pegboard and have hung most of my engines up.I took 1/4" threaded rod in 12" lengths and attached it to the pegboard to hang props.I made airplane hangers from 200# monofilament,to hang planes from the rafters.I am still in the process of organizing everything.I am gonna build more shelving tomorrow and make some wing racks from pvc pipe. Ohh,and BTW I installed A/C for the summertime heat here in the muggy South. I will post more pics of progress.

Old 08-12-2003, 03:44 AM
danhoh

Looks like you have the 1/2" blue foamboard I'm trying to find.
Can I come over, and sneak a piece off yer walls ??

BTW, your hobby shop looks nice!!
Old 08-12-2003, 03:55 AM
Capt_Kc

If I could only have something like that.... My back yard is soooo full with "scenery" I don't have any more room! I've built a deck, a pond, horseshoe court and a fish-cleaning table.... I built a 10x12 shop before I got into rc flying.... if I knew what was required for this hobby I would have built bigger!!!! Nice shop man!
Old 08-12-2003, 04:26 AM
DLSmith2

Tileflyer,

Thanks! Now I've got drool on my keyboard! Excellent shop! Save some of the blue foam for wings when you run out of coro!

BTW, were you in Beaufort years ago when Robert Duvall was the Grand Marshall of the Riverfest? He had just finished filming "The Ace" or "The Great Santini" about Bull Meecham a USMC fighter pilot in that area. Nice place, great memories!

Blue skies,

DL
Old 08-12-2003, 08:22 AM
MalaysianFlyer

3395-00 ????? Thats one expensive piece of wood
Old 08-12-2003, 11:12 AM
tileflyer

Looks like you have the 1/2" blue foamboard I'm trying to find.
It is actually 1" blue foam and I saved all the big pieces for wing spars

I built a 10x12 shop before I got into rc flying.... if I knew what was required for this hobby I would have built bigger!!!! Nice shop
I also have a 8 x12 shed for all my work tools and supplies.That is why I was buildind in the house before.

BTW, were you in Beaufort years ago when Robert Duvall was the Grand Marshall of the Riverfest? He had just finished filming "The Ace" or "The Great Santini" about Bull Meecham a USMC fighter pilot in that area. Nice place, great memories!
It was the Great Santini and no I don't remember it(I am only 30 years old ) I have watched the movie though,it is pretty good. Other movies filmed here are The big Chill,Forrest Gump,GI Jane,The Prince of Tides,Rules of Engagement,White Squall,The Last Dance,The Legend of Bagger Vance,The Jungle Book,The General's Daughter,Something to Talk About,Daughters of the Dust,Forces of Nature,The War, and Gone Fishing.

I met several of the stars in the movies and most were pretty cool.The coolest by far were Samuel L. Jackson and Tommy Lee Jones. I met them in the grocery store and when they came out they saw me with my charter boat. They were like kids in a candy store,they wanted to come aboard and check it out.We talked for about 30 minutes or so. I tried my hardest to get them to go,but they said they were way too busy.

Thanks for all the comments guys,I will post more pics as I add stuff.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:24 PM
LectroSpaz-RCU

Default Workshop

Very nice tileflyer.
I just bought a house with spad testing grounds in the backyard.
I looked at those buildings like you bought but could not bring myself to pull the ca$h out to buy one.
My father and law built one the same size for half the cost. One side for my four wheelers and bush hog, the other side for spad and plane stuff. I pulled electric and phone wires out to it and even made a zone on my house alarm for it.
I love mine. One night I will make wings, the next night i will make control horns, the next night I will cut pipe for differant planes. then I will just grab the parts I need and go assemble, balance, walk out back and toss.
Nice workshop you have there, you will have many, many hours of fun in it.
Thanks for posting!
Old 08-12-2003, 02:17 PM
JuniorPilot

Is it ok to hang your planes like that I heard it was bad for your engine? I had one like that but then heard it was bad for my engine and i took it down? Is it?
Old 08-12-2003, 07:19 PM
nukes

I was always told to hang your plane nose down, so the oil in the engine runs down onto the bearings. If you do this place something under the plane to catch the drippings. Anywho, I usually just leave them on the wheels, so who am I to talk. Nice shop. I definitely have shop envy.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:25 PM
tileflyer

I have always hung my planes this way.I always oil my planes at the field and put caps on the muffler,connect the fuel nipple to the pressure nipple on the muffler and put a cap on the carb throat. I always put about 5-6 drops of oil in the head and spin it over with the starter,to dispurse the oil. And thanks Nukes for the compliments.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:59 PM
McIntoshj

Love your shop! I am going to build one in four years. I have to wait untill I retire from the Air Force. I am saving now so when we build our house the money will be set aside for the shop.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:05 PM
tileflyer

I added some more features to the workshop.My cousin and I, added 16 outlets and installed a 40 amp service panel to the workshop.I added the outlets so I could charge the planes while they were hanging.I also built a plane stand from 3/4" pvc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	102260_24524.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	57296  
Old 08-16-2003, 10:06 PM
tileflyer

I built a wing rack from 3/4" pvc and it really help tidy the shop alot.

Name:	102261_24524.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	57297  
Old 08-16-2003, 10:07 PM
tileflyer

I added some storage bins at the end of the work bench.I have pushrods,pvc control horns,clevises,dowel rod,and other small items for easy access.

I also added outside lighting, outdoor outlets,and dug a 40' long trench to bury the conduit.So needless to say I have been busy I hate a shovel,it doesn't fit my hands very well. Thanks again everyone for your comments.

Name:	102262_24524.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	57298  
Old 08-16-2003, 11:17 PM
boogerboy
My Feedback: (3)

Default nice shop

Nice shop tileflyer! Is that one them 50$ month buildings? I can't believe you wasted your money on a magic! That thing will fall apart just after the rudder falls off. Good flyer though! Man if I had your kind of money lying around I'd just retire and live in that shop! Boogerboy
Old 08-16-2003, 11:45 PM
tileflyer

The shop was a cash purchase,no financing for this one.The Magic is a nice flyer,I am gonna put some flying wires on it for support.I got two of them for a good deal,one with all the radio gear.I paid less than $200 for both. Boogerboy,what you guys been up to? I have not seen you online in awhile,or anything on eBay for sale.I hope the family is doing well?
Old 08-17-2003, 12:39 AM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

Love those "magics". Best "UNSPAD" plane I have. I haven't had any trouble with mine at all.
4 stroken ron
Old 08-17-2003, 03:52 PM
iowanspctr

Nice shop! Of course me being single, I just build in the living room and wade through it. Pretty likely to stay single at that rate, I guess. One caution, I can't help being a building inspector; that foam insulation is super flammable and gives off toxic fumes when it burns. It really ought to be covered with sheetrock or something to protect it. I realize it's a small building but if a spark of anything hits that foam you won't have the chance to save the stuff in the shed, just to get out and watch it burn!
Old 08-19-2003, 01:49 AM
StormGald

got any spads for sell?
Old 08-23-2003, 03:39 PM
Crash Master

In between building and crashing planes over the past month or so, I've been remodling my basement. About a quarter of it will be my shop and the other 3/4 will be office are for our home business.

So far I've only been able to get a small portion of it done and this is what I have so far. The carmera quality ain't tooo swift, but hopefully you can get an decent idea of what it looks like so far.

The pic is of the east wall. On the north wall I plan to have another bench with another computer for the design area. On the south wall I have cabinets where I store paints, colored packing tapes and some hand tools. On the west wall is where I am going to set up my scroll saw, drill press, grinder and such.