Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Time for my first SPAD.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Heads_Up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for my first SPAD.

WELL GUYS ... The time has come for me to go with a SPAD.

My last profile Fun Fly plane ... the Morris TopCap ARF ... fluttered WAY bad a couple of weeks ago and I just got done with my inspection. I removed the covering from half of the TopCap fuse. Damage is a lot worse than I thought. The plane actually fell apart in my hands as I was stripping it. The fuse is cracked clear through all the way back and RIGHT between the rudder cable guides.

I have to say I am very disappointed in the soft wood Morris used for the fuse. I can understand the weight advantage, but gimme a break.

As it stands right now, the wing and other remains will go in my closet for maybe a winter project. Will probably use the wing to make a new, self designed fun fly.

In the mean time, its time to try my first SPAD.

Any suggestions on a good 40 sized SPAD for 3D that will take a 46FX or 50SX? I have flown a fellow pilot's 30 sized QHOR and it was fun, but it needed more vertical lift. Had to go full throttle to harrier it and prop hanging was not possible. He was way underpowered for my flying style.

I still brought it down to about two feet altitude and did solid harries all up and down the runway. IT WAS A BLAST. He then told me he had about $12.00 invested in the airframe and I made up my mind to build one when I found the time.

The reason I asked about engine size is the 46FX is the smallest engine I own and I have 4~5 50SXs. I am leaning towards the 40 sized QHOR, but dont want to over power it.

Anybody out there flying the 40 QHOR with a 46FX or 50SX Ringed?

Suggestions and comments welcome.

Rick
Old 08-16-2003, 11:26 PM
Woodsy

If you have a look at the SPA3D it was built for a GMS47 so the 46FX should be perfect, theres been reports latley of problems with the HOR type planes but it's all been tracked back to build/setup problems, follow the plans and it'll be fine, heres a quick summary of problems i've seen mentioned.

Do NOT over prop the plane, for a 46 try a 3.75x12 or such.
Make sure the ailerons do not droop.
DO NOT forget the coat hanges stifners in the wing tips.
Throws are barn door with around 50% neg expo (gentle around the center expo) dialed in.

heres the link http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/SPA3D/
Old 08-16-2003, 11:26 PM
Crash Master

I am not 100% sure of this (you can check the qhor thread here) but I think some of the guys have got all the way up to .75-.76 engines on these things.

You might want to take a look at the SPA3D found here that might be what you're looking for.

I built one as per plans and a GMS .47 pulled it around nicely at 1/4 throttle. i would ventrue to guess that the SPA3D and either the 46 or 50 might be a sweet combination.

Good luck,

Looks like Woodsy posted as I was typing.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:58 PM
rlt55

My SPA3D uses a Mag .52 4-stroke and it's a blast!
I'm building a smaller back-up SPA3D with a GMS .32 but can't decide on a Wing Span..

I have a QHOR / .46TTPro and it's fun too, but the SPA3D is even more fun!

PS: The QHOR and SPA3D don't require any glue!
Old 08-17-2003, 01:04 AM
tileflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Build ChrisSpad's Coro Edge,plans are on his website. It can be built in about two evenings. Plans are here http://users3.ev1.net/~cdjump/main/
Old 08-17-2003, 02:03 AM
McIntoshj

I have built a 3 PQHOR's mine has a 46FX and it will pull out of a hover with no problem. I built a friend one with a 40LA with mouse can pipe and it will perform better than mine. I have also built the Spad3d for him and it has a YS63 and he says that is the best one.

I also have a Top Cap with a YS 63 and I will tell you that a PQHOR is more stable in a hover with a 46FX. I pulls out of a hover about the same. The best part about the PQHOR is that I do every thing within 5 or less feet up and with my Top Cap I stay one mistake high.

If I were you I would build the Spad3d and use the 46 or 50.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:10 AM
Heads_Up

Originally posted by Woodsy
If you have a look at the SPA3D it was built for a GMS47 so the 46FX should be perfect, theres been reports latley of problems with the HOR type planes but it's all been tracked back to build/setup problems, follow the plans and it'll be fine, heres a quick summary of problems i've seen mentioned.

Do NOT over prop the plane, for a 46 try a 3.75x12 or such.
Make sure the ailerons do not droop.
DO NOT forget the coat hanges stifners in the wing tips.
Throws are barn door with around 50% neg expo (gentle around the center expo) dialed in.

heres the link http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/SPA3D/
Woodsy

Just checked out the SPA3D link. Looks like thats the plane for me. Making the trip to Walmart, Home Depot, and the corner KWIK-E MART (coroplast) tomorrow, Thanx for the help. I'll try it with a 46FX first then upgrade to the 50SX if needed.

THANX AGAIN!

Rick
Old 08-18-2003, 04:14 AM
Heads_Up

Originally posted by Crash Master
I am not 100% sure of this (you can check the qhor thread here) but I think some of the guys have got all the way up to .75-.76 engines on these things.

You might want to take a look at the SPA3D found here that might be what you're looking for.

I built one as per plans and a GMS .47 pulled it around nicely at 1/4 throttle. i would ventrue to guess that the SPA3D and either the 46 or 50 might be a sweet combination.

Good luck,

Looks like Woodsy posted as I was typing.
Crash...

Gonna build the SPA3D. Gonna use the 46FX first then the 50SX if needed.

Will be running a mini tune pipe and APC 12.25x3.75 prop.

Should be a blast ... we'll see!

Rick
Old 08-18-2003, 04:19 AM
Heads_Up

Originally posted by rlt55
My SPA3D uses a Mag .52 4-stroke and it's a blast!
I'm building a smaller back-up SPA3D with a GMS .32 but can't decide on a Wing Span..

I have a QHOR / .46TTPro and it's fun too, but the SPA3D is even more fun!

PS: The QHOR and SPA3D don't require any glue!
Rich

Thanx for the input. Hope to have the SPA3D flying by this weekend. Wanna be sure the glue and epoxy cures .... Just kidding

Rick
Old 08-18-2003, 04:32 AM
Heads_Up

Originally posted by McIntoshj
I have built a 3 PQHOR's mine has a 46FX and it will pull out of a hover with no problem. I built a friend one with a 40LA with mouse can pipe and it will perform better than mine. I have also built the Spad3d for him and it has a YS63 and he says that is the best one.

I also have a Top Cap with a YS 63 and I will tell you that a PQHOR is more stable in a hover with a 46FX. I pulls out of a hover about the same. The best part about the PQHOR is that I do every thing within 5 or less feet up and with my Top Cap I stay one mistake high.

If I were you I would build the Spad3d and use the 46 or 50.

Rick
Old 08-18-2003, 07:44 AM
Capt_Kc

Originally posted by Heads_Up

Rick

Where are ya'll finding these odd number props?? All I see at the hobby shops and towerhobbies is 12x4's ....... ??? Yea, I haven't been flying but since April. I've already though have owned two airmadillos, an avister, a U Can Do 3d, chrisspad's edge, and now two spa3d's. Built a few of my own design just playing, but the most fun I have ever had is the spa3d.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:50 PM
McIntoshj

Capt_Kc

chrisspad's edge, and now two spa3d's.

I have been looking for someone to compare the these two planes. I already have flown the Spad3d and should have mine done this weekend. I have a PQHOR and I am thinking of building the edge. It looks a little more complex to build but I really like the way it looks. What I want to know is: will it hover well compared spad3d, harrier, knife edge, flat spin.

I probably still will build it just because I like the way it looks, this would just make me do it faster .

Thanks for any help,
Jason
Old 08-18-2003, 04:35 PM
tileflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Odd size props are made by APC mostly. Tower Hobbies sells them and I am sure your LHS would order you some as well.

Chris' edge will do all the things you mentioned,it is rather easy to construct as well.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Capt_Kc

[/B][/QUOTE] I have been looking for someone to compare the these two planes.

Thanks for any help,
Jason [/B][/QUOTE]

I really can't compare them right now.. i flew the edge with too big of a prop, now its getting new landing gear due to motor cutting out in mid flight, and I have flew the spa3d one time... it was a riot! I need to get another radio pack before I can fly the edge again. I stripped it down last night in order to build another spa3d with the 46fx! Too many to build and so few $$$$!
Old 08-19-2003, 05:12 AM
Heads_Up

Originally posted by Capt_Kc
Where are ya'll finding these odd number props?? All I see at the hobby shops and towerhobbies is 12x4's ....... ??? Yea, I haven't been flying but since April. I've already though have owned two airmadillos, an avister, a U Can Do 3d, chrisspad's edge, and now two spa3d's. Built a few of my own design just playing, but the most fun I have ever had is the spa3d.
Capt_Kc

What I do is hang a few 12x4 plastic props on a clothes line on a 110 degree Texas summer day. In about an hour, they have streched out and flattened to 12.25x3.75.

Just kidding ... APC brand props are carried by most hobby shops and they can order you 12.25x3.75 if they don't stock them. Also, Tower Hobbies sells APC props.

Hope all is well.

Rick