Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

What SPAD to build with a Mag 80 4-stroke

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

What SPAD to build with a Mag 80 4-stroke

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 08:07 PM
emailbanter
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What SPAD to build with a Mag 80 4-stroke

I just bought a new Mag 80 4 stroker (because I liked my 61 Mag but wanted a little more power) and I'm looking for some suggestions on what spads might be suitable.

I have built two Debs, 1 BUHOR, and a Demon.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:16 PM
tileflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: What SPAD to build with a Mag 80 4-stroke

How about a spadstick or DPS??
Old 09-29-2003, 08:57 PM
emailbanter

Does anyone know what the wing and fuselage dimensions would be if I stuck a Mag. 80 4 stroke on a larger Demon model?
Old 09-30-2003, 06:36 AM
Tattoo

Check in with [link=http://spadworld.net/viewforum.php?f=11&sid=37aa7c5bfefe998e96e3fae25c32d7a3]these guys[/link]...lots of great ideas and knowledge about bigger Spads!
Old 09-30-2003, 08:40 AM
novabill

Put it on a SPA3D.

I have a 68 2 stroke on mine and it's a lot of fun. Build the plane to the 36" specs and use the wing mounting to help balance out.

William
Old 09-30-2003, 09:07 AM
rlt55

I have a little Mag .52 4S on my SPA3D and it's a great fun-fly plane.

I'm thinking about putting a GMS .76 (26oz) on one of those new design SPA3Ds with the square tube (instead of using open channel). It would use 5/32 wire LG and maybe even have a side-ways engine mount.

So little time and so many SPADs to build!

Old 09-30-2003, 09:21 AM
Crash Master

This is a bit off subject, but rtl, what size prop do you use on the Mag 52FS and how well does it pull the SPA3D? I am assuming that your SPA3D was built to plan specs.

I have a 52FS with nothing to do and was considering replacing the GMS .47 that's on it now with the 52FS. Mine is built to plans except for the alum. LG which I have replaced with 3/16" wire.

Thanks,
Old 09-30-2003, 09:22 AM
novabill

rlt55

Did you see my sideways engine SPA3D pics on my SPA3D/QHOR hybrid thread?
to use the box channell, trim approx. 3" of the top and bottom and when you make the motor plate leave some material to slide into the fuse for more secure mounting.

This I hope does not confuse you as images in my head do'nt travel verry well through my fingers

After I finish the HYBRID, I am going to make a box fuse using 1/2", mini servos and a .32. Actually carbon fiber box would be really cool. Does anyone know where I can get some?
Old 09-30-2003, 10:27 AM
rlt55

what size prop do you use on the Mag 52FS and how well does it pull the SPA3D? I am assuming that your SPA3D was built to plan specs.
MAS 12x6 prop is what I had left over from my Sig LT-40 days and it works fine.
My SPA3D is mostly to plans, I did change the LG to 5/32 wire after the rail-bending crash
It has just enough power to pull out of a fall-over stall and can zoom up until it's real small before it slows down. (Not really unlimted Ver, but close).

I'm not sure you would gain much pulling out a GMS .47. Those things must have some ZOOM. My little GMS .32 pulls my 30" SPA3D up with real UV HP!
Old 09-30-2003, 10:39 AM
rlt55

Yeah, a CF or FG box-rail would be too cool. Someone should make some with engine mounts and servo holes already done

Anyways, I did see your posting and liked the way it looked with the extra support.
I was wondering how well the prop shaft centered up on the thrust line??

I checked around about using mini servos (HS-81mg) for ailerons on my .32 GMS/ 30" SPA3D and was advised not to use them.
I went with single standard servo and it works very well.
The mini 3D has an amazing roll rate. I snap-it by getting up some speed and pushing the sticks together (towards the center) for a second and popping them back to center real quick. (I can do it CW by pulling the sticks apart too).

I think pulling the rudder over hard reduces the drag of the tail and allows the plane to spin faster. I think maybe I'll make the fixed part of the vertical stab smaller on the next plane.

I didn't put a Profile on the small SPA3D. Maybe that helps it spin faster when doing an Aileron roll..?..
Old 09-30-2003, 11:30 AM
novabill

I made one small mistake on that fuse.
I should have mounted the poly on the other side. If I had done that, the shaft would have been dead center. As it is it sits slightly right of the thrust line. Do you think I should change it?

I saw some high torque mini servos in the tower catalogue that had more torque than standards. I thought if I could get the plane to 3# they would work.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:02 PM
rlt55

The power of a motor has to be a function of the size (for the most part).
I'll bet you those small servos have more gear-down and are slower, Or they cost a bunch!

I'm not sure, but I think it's okay to be off a little in the vertical plane, but if the shaft is off to one side, it going to pull the plane to other side. Like a twin with one engine out

If it's not too hard, maybe you should try to center it up. Is it off just the thickness of the engine mounting tab?
Also, some engines are made so that bottom mounting is harder due to extra metal on top of the mounting tabs. I made a Poly mount and tried to push the engine up from the bottom and it wouldn't fit! Installing from the top was fine.
(servo push rod will need to be changed too).

Old 09-30-2003, 09:03 PM
emailbanter

Thanks for the help Tattoo and others. I've started to build the standard 60 inch BUHOR wing and will cut out the fuse length to match the BUHOR as well. It should fly well with the 80 Mag 4-stroke on it.

I'll build the larger DEMON when one of my planes takes a dive and can't be fixed.