Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Liability of SPAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 07:32 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liability of SPAD

Gosh, this SPAD stuff looks really interesting. I thought about buying a Duraplane...basically because it looked indestructable. But, now I see there is a whole modeling experience based upon this. [sm=surprised.gif]
Exciting.

So, heres my first question.

Liability. Is there any extra liability assumed from building your model from aluminum and cutting board? Will AMA cover this? Do certain clubs not allow these type of models?
Old 10-13-2003, 07:38 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Liability of SPAD

I haven't heard or read anything about SPADs being excluded.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:15 PM
Tattoo

Holy cow...you should see the combat planes...Carbon fiber, Kevlar, aluminum, HDPE, G10, Plexiglass...you name it, and they fly, totally covered by the AMA...every year, on the AMA grounds, at the AMA NATS.

So I would say there is not a problem.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:51 PM
3d-aholic

Oh, I was thinking like a lawyer---eventhough I'm not. How many people can I see in this equation?

The flyer of the plane
The builder
The kit maker

Could someone argue that a "combat" plane is a special case plane only....?
Old 10-13-2003, 09:37 PM
ChrisSpad

US Aircore, and duraplane both build planes out of the same stuff spads are built from, and like Tattoo said, combat planes are flown at the same fields, with the same insurance we all have, ama.
Any plane, regardless of the construction is as deadly as the next. You get hit with a 4 or 5 lb plane going 60 - 70 mph and its a life threatening injury. Not only the impact, but the 15,000 rpm ginsu on the front.
The cold hard fact is that the only unsafe plane is one that is a) flown by an unsafe pilot, b) unsafe due to faulty equipment, or build, and c) one that is out of control due to radio interference, or other acts of God.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:04 PM
swede-RCU

I can just see the look on the face of the poor guy who makes custom printed yardsticks for hardware stores when his lawyer advises him to print a disclaimer on each one 'Not responsible for injuries caused by accidents involving Radio Control models using yardsticks for spars'!

Swede
Old 10-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Chunky C

Are you saying that planes built from any other material than wood aren't real planes? Have you been to a commercial airport lately? I don't see many planes made of wood there very often these days. I just wonder if you need special insurance to fly a Waco?
Old 10-13-2003, 11:14 PM
thunderjet

If the AMA outlaws Duct Tape I'm in trouble......

Thunderjet
Old 10-14-2003, 05:00 AM
blabree
My Feedback: (3)

Overthrow,
It seems to me that just because some folks are in a state of ignorance about certain aspects of model aircraft construction and flying that the governing body is certainly not.
It did not take the AMA very long to realize the safety potential of turbine powered aircraft and impose the rules needed to insure participant/public safety. Or when models started to become extremely large the AMA was soon to impose weight limits. The list is very long and is constantly being updated to become what is known as, "The rule book".
SPADs have been around for several years now, and I'm sure have been scrutinized by the AMA. It didn't take long either for someone to notice that guys were flying them closer than the 25' rule allowed and place some posts on this forum reminding them of the fact.
If you aren't a lawyer, perhaps you should look into law school. You seem to have the ability to ask provacative questions and when you don't get an answer that satisfies you, you continue the line of questioning. Even your "handle" seems provacative relative to the questions you have asked.
I would suggest that you spend some time perusing the AMA forum, then maybe read the rule book yourself and make your own decision about SPAD materials, construciton, and flight.
It just goes to show that there are an unlimited supply of people who seem to be unable to tolerate other folks just having fun and enjoying themselves.

My 4 cents worth.

blabree
Old 10-14-2003, 08:12 AM
Woodsy

The question sould be " is a plane made from brittle balsa wood and plastic shrink wrap as safe as a SPAD" and "what are the safty implications of a such an inherantly unsafe structural material copared to coroplast"

thats tough in cheak, BUT the plane is only as safe as the guy building it regardless of what it's made from
Old 10-14-2003, 10:02 AM
3d-aholic

It just goes to show that there are an unlimited supply of people who seem to be unable to tolerate other folks just having fun and enjoying themselves.
...I think you are way off base. You guys are reading "WAY-into" my very innocent post. I'm a newbie at this. I just followed a thread yesterday from the ARF section so my entire knowledge of this type of plane/modeling is about 20 hours old.

I want one of these....I'm especially interested in the Tattoo 3dspad... I'm just making sure there are no liability issues. I'm going to check with my club next to make sure they allow them....even if its find with the AMA. I went to the hardward store yesterday to check out the U-tubes and square-tubes.

I think this is the way to go to learn hovering and 3-d..... It makes no sense to learn hovering 5 feet off the pavement with a $500 model. The idea of building the plane from just anything and flying just about anything seems like a great way to think of the hobby. I see people spending $4000 on their plane and then never flying it....thats totally wrong.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:42 AM
rlt55

I once read about a large ARF that didn't have enough glue on it's firewall.
The posting didn't have a very happy ending. (Looked like a shark attack).

IMHO, having all the hardware out in the open where you can see it before every flight is a safe way to fly
The engine mounts on my 'Channel' planes seem a lot safer than some profile planes I've seen. I think these rail planes might even be safer than most!
Old 10-14-2003, 10:51 AM
3d-aholic

Ok, obviously you guys are very defensive on this subject...

I was just looking at this from the eyes of a newbie, from the aspect that Great Planes obviously has to have some testing process they go through when they create and kit a plane. But, who knows. But when I picked up a piece of that U-tube is when it dawned on me that this thing was quite "heavier" than I imagined and traveling at 100mph, looked more dangerous than a piece of balsa where I have to be careful of crushing the wings with my bare-hands on days where I have an extra box of Wheaties.

This stuff is tougher and heavier... In fact, thats to some degree why I want to build one of these so it can survive a heavy landing on a windy day.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:46 AM
Tattoo

If it's any consolation, the tail boom on a DuraPlane is the same "U" channel used in the Spa3d. The same goes for the gutterpipe. The cutting board material is HDPE which is the same material marketed at entire fuselages on comercial combat planes. The Coroplast is nothing new as proven by US Air Core. We use nothing new...we just do it ourselves.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:53 AM
3d-aholic

We use nothing new...we just do it ourselves.
Yes....the material just made me think...its the doing it "ourshelves" part that was my liability concern. I would like to build your plane spad3d...but I'm already thinking about "modifying" it....

Thats one of the most interesting parts of the SPAD thing...you can easily modify. Does that imply addition liability was my second thought...

Hmm, I just mark mine as "Experimental" on the wing...lol
Old 10-14-2003, 12:17 PM
Kraut

The only "real" liability is you as the pilot. Be as safe as you can, and don't take any unnecessary chances - regardless of the materials you use.

On a side note - During the early days of getting combat recognized as a AMA sanctioned/recognized event (a few years ago) - there was a "gentleman" that was an AMA district VP that tried to propose at an Executive Council session that certain materials (Coroplast and PVC) should be banned from making combat R/C planes - needless to say - it was thrown out immediately!!!

Just be safe, act safe - and have fun - it's all good!
Old 10-14-2003, 01:59 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Liability is null and void, because you are building it yourself. To hold someone liable just for supplying plans, would be no different than suing the guy who put plans on the WWW to make a cell phone bomb.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:42 PM
3d-aholic

Well if I ever got good enough to create plans and a website advertising a plane design, I would put a disclaimer on there just like the kit plans I get. There must be some reason why they still that legal disclaimer in there.

Afterall, somebody sued McDonalds because the hamburgers made them fat....
Old 10-14-2003, 04:06 PM
Tattoo

There is a disclaimer at the top of the Spad Originals plans index page.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:52 AM
DLSmith2

2MuchThrow,

I think I can understand what you're trying to find out; the bottom line is, that the pilot is responsible for determining the airworthiness of his/her aircraft before the flight regardless what the aircraft is constructed of or how it is constructed.

A good source for answers is the Safety Code at the AMA site:
[link]http://modelaircraft.org/templates/ama/PDF-files/memanual03.pdf[/link]

I think the issue is moot, in that the answer is vaguely addressed in the AMA and/or FAI regulations, but the final determination will be made on a case-by-case basis, determined on the circumstances and the attorneys involved.

As long as the pilot, whoever it may be, determines that the aircraft is airworthy in his/her judgement, and adheres to all applicable regulations the the best of his/her ability, you should be covered by AMA (after your homeowners' policy). This is all a lot of ca-ca when something happens and it's YOUR tail on the stand and the prosecuting attorney points out that despite all of your experience, intelligence, preparation and good intentions, something bad happened anyway. Then, everyone from your dog to your fifth grade teacher will seem to say; "I always knew he'd grow up to crash a model some day! A bad seed, I always said!"

Good luck, and have fun flying (unless something happens, then please delete this post! I'll deny everything and if they put me on the stand, I'll tell them "I always knew he'd grow up to crash a model some day!)!

Blue skies,
DL
Old 10-15-2003, 08:42 AM
novabill

COMMON SENSE[8D]

When you test your new SPAD (especially if you deviated from tattoos plans), do it at a time when no people, or cars are around. I usually test my new planes on a Tuesday morning around 7AM at a feild surrounded on each side by 50 acres of crops. I only have to worry about myself and my car.

I never fly my planes around other people unless they are dialed in. Also, it saves the embarrasment if your new idea fails totally. LOL (in my case often).

IF YOU DONT HURT ANYTHING, YOU CANT GET SUED.

william
Old 10-15-2003, 04:45 PM
Woodsy

Well 2MuchThrow at the risk of being acused of flaming ya....

Why dont you just go and sit inside and and watch TV, your obviously waaaaay to paranoid to enjoy some of the fun things in life rc planes, trail bikes, etc, etc. Just go and sit on ya butt and youll have no problems.
LIFE is dangerous, from the minet your born your at risk, many things you do are inherantly dangerous to yourself and other, if the concept of SPAD is to much of a stress on you go and take up knitting.. but watch out for those sharp knitting pins, some one might get hurt.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:09 PM
novabill

YOU GO WOODSY

2 MUCH THROW:

Just build the D*#N thing and let us know how it flies.

NOVABILL

OH P.S. dont forget to post pics.[>:]
Old 10-15-2003, 07:10 PM
3d-aholic

if the concept of SPAD is to much of a stress on you go and take up knitting..
Sounds like the same logic my wife uses if I bring up the subject of Earthquakes....she thinks talking about them is some how connected with "causing" them.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:02 PM
MalaysianFlyer

LOL I see the SPAD sense of humour is still well and alive!!

Forget liability issues just go fly, over here we have no regulations, no regulating bodies, and no one flies with insurance, except for a few guys who are now purchasing insurance cover (including myself). Just be sure to have a good getaway car handy

** The above statements are made with no grounds whatsoever and the author hereby disclaims any liability associated with it. Any injuries sustained from all out laughter and/or injuries to finger while typing a reply/rebuttal are not the responsibility of the author!!!**

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.