Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

QHOR 40LA Combo Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 04:13 PM
UCDme3D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QHOR 40LA Combo Review

I switched a 46FX into some guys avistar the other day at work and he told me to hold onto the 40LA... I was thinking to myself.. I fly large scale 3d, what would I do with a 40LA.. Not worth the time to put on ebay for $20... One night i was lookin around and saw plans for the QHOR... decided to build the 32" version and pop that 40LA into it for a fun 3d plane to beat the crap out of.. I made some adjustments to the original design but putting the servos on the bottom and having 2 aileron servos.. It worked out great and the plane came out to be 3 lbs 6 oz.. Perfect for the little 40LA.. Put a 10 x 6 prop and i was in the air hovering like mad.. put the thing into uncontrollable torque rolls.. the thing torque rolled faster than it would do normal rolls.. Loops were crazy tight, harriers came almost without effort. Flatspins were easy.. Anyways, needless to say I was addicted to my new little friend that I called the BUFU 3D... After almost a full gallon of fuel and many near ground stunts i finally put her face first into the dirt... when i got to her the engine was completely submerged in the ground.. It was awesome! ha... The little 40LA is fine but the bufu was destroyed.. Looks like i'm in the process of making the $2 BUFU II 3D.. Anybody debating weather or no tthe 40 size engine will produce enough power, just go with the 32" version and you will have power to spare.. Tatoo has a great design on this one, be creative and make it your friend and don't be affraid to hurt your friend a little bit.. It's painless when it only costs you $2 to fix after a nose first collision with the ground.. I'm in love with this plane.. sorry i rambled on alot... peace..!
Old 11-09-2003, 06:54 PM
Woodsy

Default RE: QHOR 40LA Combo Review

Good report, it looks like we now have 3 uses for a 40LA, the BUFU, a fishing sinker and a paperweight
Old 11-09-2003, 08:41 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well good news for me, anyway, I bought a NIB os 40 LA on the clssifieds here ,shipped for $45, thought it was a good deal, of course I was thinking more along the lines of a spadet trainer, so it should suit my purpose, I know it wasnt designed to hover anything unless you build it really light, on the other hand ,out of the box it fired right up on 10 year old omega fuel I had in the basement..so that was cool...Rog
Old 11-09-2003, 10:00 PM
UCDme3D

Believe me Woodsy, I completely agree.. I have never been a fan of Os's LA series.. But something made out of coroplast comming in under 4 lbs gives it some use.. I'm thinking of going head to head with another spad for some combat to see who stays in the air the longest.. HA!
Old 11-09-2003, 11:06 PM
rlt55

If you liked the QHOR, you will love the SPA3D.
I've got a full sized one with a .52 Mag 4-stroke,
but made a smaller one for a GMS .32 and it's a blast!
I still fly the old QHOR (TT46Pro), but the SPA3Ds
really do keep me from getting bored. Never a dull moment
Old 11-10-2003, 12:26 AM
UCDme3D

What were the dimentions of the smaller SPA3D.. I do have to build another plane considering i burried the engine and exploded the wing on the BUFU.. ha
Old 11-10-2003, 08:30 AM
novabill

Use the dimensions if the 32" QHOR, but build it like the SPA3D.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:34 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

UCDme3D,
If you're looking for something to put that 40LA into, try a McDDD. Use a MA 11x4 prop, and replace the stock muffler with a mousse can pipe. You'll discover that 40LA has a lot more power than you ever dreamed possible.

Here's my favorite MCP instructions: http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/
Look under the CONSTRUCTION link for the Mousse Can Muffler building instructions.

For the OS 40/46LA, TT 42GP, and OS 40FP use a can that measures 1.75" diameter by 6.5" long with a 1/4" I.D. outlet hole.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79320.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	73775  
Old 11-10-2003, 06:08 PM
UCDme3D

Thank you very much Dave... I will go ahead and build that... I'll post pictures when I'm done..