Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

SPAB

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 03:14 PM
dwc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPAB

Here's a picture of a buddy's Simple Plastic Air Boat. It may not be a plane but he
did get some good air time on it this morning in the snow until he got it fine tuned
It's a blast in the snow and should work well in the water too.
Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83656.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	76939  
Old 11-23-2003, 03:20 PM
dwc

Default RE: SPAB

Another pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62826.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	76943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51819.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	76944  
Old 11-23-2003, 04:13 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool deal! I'm working one at the present time. Mine is 22 X 38, and will be powered with a TT 60. What's your friends powered with? Whats uderneath the coroplast for the aluminum mount to bolt to? Could you provide some pictures of the engine area please?
Old 11-23-2003, 08:03 PM
gripp

First of all I need to tell you that it is not a flat-bottomed boat, it is a catamaran style. The catamarans are 2.5" by 2.5" plastic downspout wrapped with coroplast. It has an OS 60 bushing motor on it. It is 33.5" long by 18" wide. I am going to redo the rudder system on this boat, I am going to go to a dual rudder system and then I will be moving the motor forward slightly. Getting back to the motor mount, it is actually just screwed into the downspout. It seems to work well that way. I have not tried this on water because I just got it done. I have used it on the snow and it does not turn with a flat bottom. Also, when you get it up to about 30 mph the thing flips, it catches air and flips in the air; so i took the flat bottom off that I had temporarily put on for snow and it worked pretty decent. This boat weighs approximately 7 pounds.

Gordon
Old 11-23-2003, 08:12 PM
cropdusterdave
My Feedback: (2)

Pretty cool. I built a "Gator Bait" air boat years ago. Scaled it down...made it way to heavy...and put the radio gear in the engine pod. Way too top heavy. Never thought of doing it with cloroplast. Pretty good idea.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:40 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is a catamaran style as well. I started my engine mount tonight, inspired by your boat (hull is all cut, and the framework almost done). And I got a wild idea. How about putting rudders on the slanted aluminum strap to act as a reverse V-Tail on an airplane? They could each have their own servo, and mixing would be possible with a computer radio. I'm thinking this may allow me to control the pitch of the boat, as well as the angels giving it the natural ability to bank into corners. I'm also toying with the idea of adding an elevator, inbetween the rudders, to further pitch control. Anybody ever seen a v-tail airboat before? If so, I'd love to see some pictures.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:42 PM
gripp

i think the elevator is a good idea i thought of that when mine flipped into the air but after i took the flat bottom off it didn't flip any more I think the v tail should work fine
My next project is a air boat with a 32cc weed eater motor but not sure how to build boat yet thinking about using a knee board it is about 51 inches long by about 18 wide I don't think that's wide enough
Old 10-06-2005, 03:18 PM
cattail
My Feedback: (11)

Dan,
Can you tell me if there are plans available for this Spad Boat??
Francis
Old 10-07-2005, 11:58 AM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Cool, defintely......KEWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!