Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Has anyone built a US Aircore Colt 40?

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Has anyone built a US Aircore Colt 40?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 02:03 PM
donhef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone built a US Aircore Colt 40?

Hi Folks...

I asked this question in the "Kit builders" forum, but I thought I would ask here too, seeing that it is made from Coroplast.

I know this would not be considered a SPAD (at least I think it wouldn't). Has anyone in this forum built one? I'm looking to build my third A/C and only want to spend around $100.00 or less for the kit. I already have two conventional balsa trainers (Avistar w/trike gear and Avistar w/taildragger gear) and I want to learn how to fly a low wing A/C. I would be transferring all the running hardware (engine (46fx), rx, servos) to the low wing to keep my better half happy. I just want to know if this is a good kit and what are the flying characteristics like. I would like to try my hand at making a SPAD, but I have some space constraints in regards to an area to build one. I know that you need a fairly large flat area to do all the clamping for the main wings and I don't have that kind of room (yet!). I don't think my Wife would let me use the dining room table to build on.

Any input would be welcomed!
Old 12-05-2003, 02:18 PM
Kraut
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Has anyone built a US Aircore Colt 40?

I've built two Aircore planes (not the Colt - but the building process is basically the same). If you have room to build a US Aircore Colt - you have room to build a SPAD! The building process of a SPAD and a US Aircore plane are very similar - only the US Aircore plane has more parts to glue!
Old 12-05-2003, 04:32 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

You wont like the way it flys. Your trainer will handle better than the Air Core. There has to be some decent ARF's out there for about the same money. The Air Core stuff is very durable. It just ends up with a high wing loading that hurts performance. Take one of your Avistars. Cut the dihedral out of the wing and put bigger control surfaces on it. This will basicaly give you an Ultra Stick. It will be high wing but will do most of your basic aerobatic stuff.
Just a thought...........David
Old 12-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Quicker

If you want a low wing plane to fly, build the Demon, or build a low wing SpadStick by flipping the fuse over. I've built a bunch of low wing SpadSticks and love them. Best flying planes I've got.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:34 PM
Mike in DC

I question your assumption that low wing planes fly much different than high wing ones. I have a Tiger 2, and it flies just like my high wing planes. It certainly didn't take any "learning". Like Kraut, I also question the assumption that you don't have room to build a Spad. I usually build the wings on the floor anyway, but you're only talking about a few glue joints.

My advice, build a DPS.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:50 PM
Spadguy
My Feedback: (1)

I've built my spads in my living room, garage and basement shop. You don't need very much room. After you cut the wing from the 4'x8' or 4'x4' sheet, you could almost finish it in the backseat of a VW. To clamp things down you can use books, the dog or about anything that has some weight and will sit for a while. For a $100 budget you could buy enough gutter pipe and coro for at least 10 planes or you could buy some new servos, an engine and a couple of planes worth of coro. The plans on www.spadtothebone.com are the best and very easy to follow. Try it and I'll bet you'll like it.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:21 PM
donhef

Thanks for the input Folks! I'll have to see where I can get the materials around my area for building a scratch SPAD. I don't recall seeing any square PVC in either Home Depot or Lowes around here but then again, I wasn't really looking very closely for those types of materials.

I have gone on the spadtothebone.com site and really like the looks of a few of the designs.....if I can find the supplies, I'll see if I can get my dog to sit on a wing for a while.

Thanks again Folks!
Old 12-08-2003, 10:23 AM
DeBearSteve

donhef,

I have a "Colt 40" It needs a 46 to fly. The control surfaces are to small especially the elevator. on a scale of 1 to ten I would give it a "5". If you want a really nice flying spad build the "Spazzler" or the "DPS". they are tens.

DeBear