Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Has anyone built a low wing debonair?

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Has anyone built a low wing debonair?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 06:12 PM
wyomingbbq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone built a low wing debonair?

Was thinking of trying this, or if not possible, (can't see why it wouldn't go) maybe doing a straight wing. I picked up a deb someone started but the wing is all mine to do with what I want... And I want a low wing, if possible. I'm flying on skis this winter here in Wyoming, and need a second plane for winter and summer... any ideas on this wing-thing?? Thanks guys.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:42 PM
flyer_of_planes

Default RE: Has anyone built a low wing debonair?

It is possible, it'll just take a bit of tweaking is all, you're gonna probably need to go with 2 aileron servos, one in each wing panel, then to attach it, you could notch the fuse where the spar would fit into the fuse and cut the top skin, just the width of the fuse out of the center of the wing, so that the fuse can slide down over the spar and rest of the bottom of the wing. you'll need to put the radio hole on the bottom of the fuse, and you may have to run extensions up through the wing into the receiver.

Good luck with it, hope that helped

~flyer~
Old 12-14-2003, 08:54 PM
wyomingbbq

That is more or less what I had in mind, but I was going to try it with one center mounted aileron servo, on the top of the wing inside the fuse...
Old 12-15-2003, 01:11 AM
Woodsy

I have a vauge memory of seeing one going back about 8 or 9 months or so, try doing a search here and over at the spadworld forum
Old 12-15-2003, 01:37 AM
Captain351

That is more or less what I had in mind, but I was going to try it with one center mounted aileron servo, on the top of the wing inside the fuse...
The first Deb that I built had a center mounter aileron servo and I had a lot of problems with flutter. I redid the wing and used a servo in the middle of each aileron and never had any flutter after that. Its cheap insurance.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:57 AM
wyomingbbq

OK, I can do that...I don't want excessive movement, that's for sure. ('specially the type with no pilot input) so I'll do two ALRN servos. BTW, I searched both sites in above post with the term "low wing debonair" and came up a dud. Does anyone know if the 2.5" dihedral should be changed?
Old 12-15-2003, 02:11 PM
Captain351

It might be good to lower it a little bit but I wouldn't go below 1 3/4. I have seen several instances of guys making a flat wing and they say it fly's great but I personally believe you need a little dihedral. The more dihedral you have the more self righting tenancies the plane will have. If your a beginner you probably need that.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Quicker

I think this will work out OK. The biggest issue you will face is how to mount the wing and you have 2 basic options here:

1) cut out a wing saddle.
2) cut a notch for the spar and cut out the center section of coro from the wing top.

Since the Deb has a PVC fuse, option 2 would probably work the best. Look at how the Demon has it's wing mounted:
[link=http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/Demon/]http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/Demon/[/link]

When I made my low wing SpadStik I cut a saddle out of the fuse because the fuse was not PVC and I could make it a little taller. I then reinforced the saddle area with yardsticks with the airfoil shape cut out of them.

The downside of a saddle is it's harder to get the wing incidence correct.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:01 PM
wyomingbbq

I think the spar cutout looks pretty good to me, with a lower wing wrap. I can see where the vertical stress would be transferred to the fuse where the spars slide in, should be stronger than the wrap aloe, I would think. I just put the wing together with 1.5" (3" total) dihedral, 1.75 was a bit much for my taste. I'm flying a few straight wings now, and after I look at the 1.5", it still seems like alot. My old trainer has a bit less then that, the cessna 182 has 1.6", so this should be as stable as I can stand. I now need to put the servos and radio in , mount the engine, (slightly overpowered with a .61) and then back to this wing thing.