Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

YEESS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 06:03 PM
KyleB15
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YEESS!!!

Got my Thunder Tiger .46 Pro today and all the stuff to build my 3D and wow thism engine looks great. Hey guys how does a Spad3D compare to a flying wing. I can fly a plane while in the air but i have never landed. I think this plane should be pretty controlable. Not Stable. Also when you say it is not stable do you mean it doesn't fly in a straight line and gorees up down left right unexpectedly or do you mean when you turn it doesnt self coreect. Man i cant wait. I am friends with Toddly24 we live next to each other so i think i might be able to buddy box himn help him out. I will get pics soon. Also when landing this 3D. Can it take a normal landing or do i have to harrier it. Also man i dont know if its thesse ABN engines or what when i move the flywheel it was very smooth. Not like other engines with the tight scratching.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:33 PM
novabill

Default RE: YEESS!!!

I love to see fellow spadders excited and you really seem excited

First off, as far as the landings go. Buy lots of props. LOL
The spa3d can kind of land conventionally. Land into the wind and watch the power, cause if you just chop the throttle to idle, you will drop like a brick. Dont come in hot either just enough power to keep the plane level, or nose up. When you are 3 or 4' off the ground, then chop the throttle. I make it harder than it sounds. I have never muffed a landing with my spa3d when I came in with the motor running, as long as I had the opportunity to land. I think the fact that it does'nt glide might make it easer to land.

The spa3d does'nt wright itself when you let go of the sticks. You always have to fly it and depending on how radical the throws are and how much EXPO you have dialed will determine how twitchy the plane is.

I have a TT pro .36 on my FF Taco and it runs great, but I bought the plane with the engine on it and it was already broken in so I cant answer your question on that one. My advice is this (and I think this is good advise) Read the break-in instructions for your PRO .46 and follow them to a tee. Even use the prop they recomend (if they recomend one). Many people purchase TT engines and each one who does recieves the same set of instructions. If TTs was'nt the safest way to break it in, they would probably have a rep as a bad unreliable engine. And they dont.

You are getting close my friend. I hope to hear a report from you and toddly about how you guys went to the field and burned two gallons of fuel could'nt stop laughing and had to go home cause you ran out of props.

William
Old 02-04-2004, 07:51 PM
fly4fun

I would definitely recommend being on a buddy box if you've just started flying. Especially for the first flight, because until your spad is trimmed and balance is adjusted it can be very unpredictable. If you use proper throttle management and use low rates the spad3D can be somewhat stable and just sort of float around. I almost always just harrier my spad3D in to land, which I think is just easier and more fun. And if you do crash you usually just have to bend the landing gear back, or maybe put on a new prop. These planes are tough and cheap, so just have fun and don't worry crashing. Good luck and happy flying.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:54 PM
KyleB15

Thanks guys and yes i am excited. And no i am not a newby.My buddy is. Ihpe to break in my engine tonight.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:59 PM
toddly24

I was into RC before you even thought about it Kyle, don't speak of me as a newb. You got your first big plane from me, remember? I could actually fly that Cub without crashing it.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:37 PM
novabill

Easy boys,

This can be settled first time out with your spads. Last one flying wins. Bring lots of props.

William
Old 02-04-2004, 08:46 PM
toddly24

Sorry, I just don't like to be reffered to as a noob. I guess I am kinda a noobie, but I have flown a Cub before.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:01 PM
Bumstead

You will love Spads..The best part is the "Looks about right" design
They work!
Old 02-04-2004, 09:08 PM
KyleB15

Well guys tried starting the plane. !st bad idea dont let your 6 year oold brother hold it. Well it started wide open and my little brother was startled and let go of it. It almost hit me. Broke a prop. No big deal. Hey aleast it runs. I bought a APC 12x4 for running normal if i fall to land right will this prop break?
Old 02-05-2004, 12:53 AM
Silly me

If it falls, to land ??? like nose first?

Go fly, just take some extra props, you'll brake atleast two, but as soon as you can fly the spa3d you'll break more. lol

The Spa3d, fly's great and easy but could turn and bite you in the *****, for this plane loves to fly below stall speed with the nose at 30deg plus angle. and just to make stuff better, any high speed dive, and you'll have it flapping its wings pass you.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:20 PM
KyleB15

Well i got another prop today and started her up not going over half. And all i can say is that this thing has lots of power. All most to much.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:27 PM
novabill

too much is just right
Old 02-05-2004, 12:36 PM
KyleB15

ya i guess so
Old 02-05-2004, 01:47 PM
bhole74

Too much is never enough!
Old 02-05-2004, 02:05 PM
DustOffUH1

Well guys tried starting the plane. !st bad idea dont let your 6 year oold brother hold it. Well it started wide open and my little brother was startled and let go of it. It almost hit me. Broke a prop. No big deal. Hey aleast it runs. I bought a APC 12x4 for running normal if i fall to land right will this prop break?
You had you 6 year old brother hold the engine while you started it? What the, ,were you thinking?????? Adult fingers get chopped off easily enough, let alone a 6 year old. It sounds like you need some help, and someone to teach you about safety. You don't break-in an engine, in someones hands. You're lucky only a prop got broken. [:@]
Joe
Old 02-05-2004, 02:09 PM
toddly24

he wasn't holding the engine, he was holding the tail of the plane.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:15 PM
KyleB15

Hey Dustoff use your head for something other than a hat rack. My brother was not holding the engine. Nobody in there right mind would do that. He was holding the tail end of the plane. He got scared when it started so he let it go.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:18 PM
toddly24

how else are you supposed to start an engine, won't the plane just start moving if somebody isn't holding the tail. I know when i started my cub, somebody had to hold the tail end.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You just don't get it. Six year olds are startled by loud sudden noises. Your lucky you wer'nt wearing the prop. just be carefull. Although you will get wacked with a prop sooner or later. Part of the game.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:36 PM
DustOffUH1

Hey Dustoff use your head for something other than a hat rack.
There's no need for insults like that. I didn't call you any names or insult you. Anyway, even still letting a 6 year old hold a plane while you're starting it,,,, use some common sense,,, that's all I'm saying
Old 02-05-2004, 05:04 PM
KyleB15

Sorry dust i didn't mean to insult you. But i thought he would have known not to let go. He has done it before and has been around other planes so... Also when i close the throttle all the way on the TT .46 it will keep running for about 10 seconds then finally stop. My O.S. 61 FS does do that. Even slightly closed throttle and it cuts immediately.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:20 PM
DustOffUH1

No problem. Sorry, I can't help you with the TT. I only have OS engines, and like you said when I cut the throttle on all of them, they respond like they should. But I know there are lots of people here on RCU that do own that particular TT. Maybe post it in the engine forum.
Joe
Old 02-05-2004, 06:55 PM
novabill

my tt .36 does that too kyle.

do not set the engine to cut out when you chop the throttle. When you are gettin crazy in the sky, that stick moves all over the place and you dont want to inadenvertently cause a dead stick.

William