Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

First low wing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 12:56 AM
FlyingMonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First low wing

I just made my first low wing spad. Its put together like the demon. I really like the idea of not using rubber bands anymore. This one is a bit heavy but the EVO 46nt w/ 11x6 prop it is more than enough to fly it. I dropped the double spar and made it with one. Its all 2 mil coro wing. The tail is wood due to flutter with the 4 mil coro. It was just to fast for the coro tail even with wired flutes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87367.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	128605  
Old 05-03-2004, 07:41 AM
JimRoss

Default RE: First low wing

Excellent Job! Like the looks of the plane and the lines of the turtle deck make it look very nice. How did you get the top to slope like that. I make a canopy for mine but they don't slope all the way back to the tail.

My Demon has a GMS 47 on it with tuned muffler and it honks. Never could get it to roll real fast like some other designs but I guess that's ok too.

Use some sign vinyl to close the wing tips in and it improves the looks even more.

So many designs to build and not enough time or flight packs.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:31 PM
FlyingMonkey

I used the extra piece of PVC cut from the tail to get the slope and then finished the front with 2 mil coro. The coro is glued at the front. There is about a half inch extending from the canopy. I folded it there and with two small machine screws in the PVC at the tail. Its like a big hood when you remove the screws. You can get to the access hole without trouble. It does add a little more weight, but I have no complaints. I think I will cap the wings like you said. I agree it would look better. Thanks for the comments.

Keith
Old 05-03-2004, 10:06 PM
jlguru

Nice looking plane

... just a heads up. If you've built the wing as I suspect you have (2 mil folded w/ a cutout for the fuselage), the 2 mil corro will rip right at the end of the fold on the leading edge near the fuselage on either/both sides. The folded 2 mil corro is strong but the single sheet of corro under the fuselage (with the flutes running chordwise) is not .... been there done that. You might consider reinforcing that area. I glue PVC bits across the cutout at the leading edge to prevent ripping.

Then again, you may have already done something to prevent the ripping I've experienced ... just food for thought.

Good luck.

Live long, and prosper
Jerry L. Gubka
Old 05-04-2004, 08:02 AM
FlyingMonkey

Hey jlguru,

Thanks for the heads up. I did build it just as you thought. I looked at the area you discribed and corrected it.

Keith