Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Scale Spads....anyone try this approach?

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Scale Spads....anyone try this approach?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Big Sasquatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale Spads....anyone try this approach?

I asked this question at Spadworld.net so i figured i would try it here as well:

Fiddler's Green has some neat print out plans that show you how to fold and bend pre-printed paper plans into various airplanes (they look scale). I am thinking of purchasing one and scaling it up on a photo copier and transfering the outlines to coro. Am I re-inventing the wheel here or hasn't anyone tried this yet?

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/index.htm
Old 06-22-2004, 12:22 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Scale Spads....anyone try this approach?

I'm doing a stand off scale B-70. Got it about half done.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Big Sasquatch

Default RE: Scale Spads....anyone try this approach?

How is it going? Did you use the Fiddler's Green plans? Any Pictures?
Old 06-22-2004, 03:13 PM
SST

Default B-70 SPAD project...pics

Here are some shots hanging in the garage. Not sure how they'll come out. The wing's span/chord ratio is wrong, there should be less chord for this (32) span, but all I had was 32X48 coroplast, and I used it all. The excess cut off for the delta shape was then glued as a second thickness to the wing. The engine nacell/fin piece was then folded and inserted into slots in the wing and secured with skewers & polyurethane glue. I hope that the extra flat surface created by the nacell will add a little lift of it's own. The canard will be full-flying instead of the prototypical fixed wing with the TE control surface. The two CG symbols show the projected CG range from delta-with-forward-elevator, to full-flying-canard. As you can see, the skewers have not been trimmed flush, and the nose has not been made yet. It will be glassed foam, 12" long. The canard C/L is 8" forward of the point of the wing. Power will be a K&B .61 pumper, and the fuel tank will be mounted in the nacell at C/G. I will mount fixed landing gear for the initial test flights, and remove them and build a catapult once I have the design flying reliably. I expect to have to make several of these before everything is really right, but since the most expensive thing I have had to procure was the ProBond, I'm up for it.

I can't seem to get my pics to upload. Never had that problem before...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94802.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	146308  
Old 06-22-2004, 03:23 PM
SST

Default RE: B-70 SPAD project...pics

Pic 2
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version