Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Is it possible, or is it just a dumb idea?

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Is it possible, or is it just a dumb idea?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 11:41 AM
toddly24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible, or is it just a dumb idea?

Ok, I had an idea, not sure if it's dumb, or if it would work. I think it would be really cool. What I want to do is build a SuperSpadStang Gasser. Would this work out, what would I have to do to get the wings to hold up to the size?
Old 07-01-2004, 02:40 PM
FrankC29

Default RE: Is it possible, or is it just a dumb idea?

Of course it's possible. If the Spadstick can be upscaled to the Ultra SpadStick, then there is no reason why the same thing cannot be done with the Spadstang. Of course there will be obstacles, and you will have to come up with unique innovative silutions to them. It's usually not just a matter of using the exact same materials and techniques and just multiplying them. It's also the sort of thing that a seasoned Spad builder should tackle. Someone new to Spads who is still unfamiliar with Spad building techniques should stay away from such an ambitious project for awhile, IMHO.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Spastic

when you start wrestling large sheets of coro and realize you need 4 more hands, thats when you say, hey small plans are OK!
when is somebody going to make a full size SPAD for carrying a pilot, it would take about $100 worth of coro and glue, a nice simple bipe with strong bracing, one of those ultrlight motors....its do-able
Old 07-01-2004, 04:47 PM
red_guy

yeah, but who's that dumb to risk his life flying it [:'(]
Old 07-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Spastic

did you guys see the junkyard wars 100th anniversary of flight episode where they fly in a plane they made in 20 hours! thats risky, the Brit's won, it was England, France and USA, the Brits bipe flew so good i want one.. the USA team was embarrassing, they had an angle of attack problem and could not figure it out...
Old 07-01-2004, 05:09 PM
toddly24

what kind of math will I need to do in order to find the proper size of everything for a 45cc homelite?
Old 07-01-2004, 05:47 PM
Spastic

just look up 45cc size planes, find one that you like and want to match that type of performance and copy. Chris from spadworld.net has made a cublikething SPAD for a 45cc i think.
not much math really needed, 8' span 20" cord and a 6' long fuse sounds about right for a 45cc, 18-20% stab to wing area half that for fin area, not much to it, make that spar strong and use high torque servos and lots of them.
how many smaller planes have you made of your own design?
Old 07-01-2004, 06:06 PM
toddly24

that's a big zero on my own design thing
Old 07-01-2004, 06:12 PM
toddly24

isn't there a rule on how big a plane can be?
Old 07-01-2004, 06:19 PM
Woodsy

when is somebody going to make a full size SPAD for carrying a pilot, it would take about $100 worth of coro and glue, a nice simple bipe with strong bracing, one of those ultrlight motors....its do-able
there is one under way, i'll see if i can find the link, more of a rigid wing hang glider from memory
Old 07-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Spastic

isn't there a rule on how big a plane can be?
Unfortunately it’s not that simple; they said the spruce goose would not be able to fly!
Oh you mean for a given power, yes, but it depends on many variables.
Sure there are rules of thumb that work most of the time for sport type planes, there is an excel spreadsheet that is very good for that, that I have but never use. I could email it to you, if I can find it, PM me you your email address
If the goal is max size or max payload or max anything else then it requires many hours of boring lessons about Cl and Cd, power to weight....I’m no engineer I hate math and I’ve built countless planes, some SPADs some balsa, all flew with varying degrees of success.
Event the experts agree to disagree about many things regarding design, That’s because aircraft design just like any other type of design is about compromise.
The good news is that given enough power and a light enough wing loading with a generous dash of control surface most things fly just fine. And it depends on what kind of flying you want out it, fast, slow, aerobatic, 3D, heavy lifting, short takeoff, ….
You can T.L.A.R. that looks about right a model just like the majority of them are designed, believe it or not, r/c not full scale. You can run numbers, I spent many hours doing this calculating tail volumes and aspect ratios, moment arms and whatnots, I think after a while you can tell just looking at it if it will work before you even fly it.
An example of that is my last design was very unconventional as far as profile planes go and after calculating the elevator area I looked at it and thought ,,gee that looks smaller than it should and guess what it is just a bit to small, sure it flies fine but it’s when you are looking for a specific thing is when you start to get picky,.
My advice to beginning designers is start small, I say get a few planes under your belt so to say, and then start looking at 45cc size planes, so I don’t read about you crashing a 15 pound SPAD though the roof of somebody’s car, I’m not saying your not a great pilot.
I know it’s dead sexy to build and fly a huge monster plane, but if the design is not a success I fear that you will never try to design again and who knows you could be the next Burt Rutan
Sorry for the Rant I didn’t intend to preach
I’m glad to help
later
if you had the attention span to read all this then your half way there!!!!!
sorry so long
Old 07-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Spastic

checkout chris's website actually its Matts site sorry Matt
http://www.mattclement.freeservers.c...giantspad.html
Old 07-01-2004, 10:37 PM
toddly24

my e-mail address, for you or anybody else that wants to contact me is [email protected] you can talk to me on MSN messenger, or Spyderman2n1 on AIM