Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Starting Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 03:05 PM
>X<

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Out

Hello.

I have never flown an RC plane before and i would like to get into it
There are no instructors near me so i am going to have to battle it out by myself

Anyway. I have seen the debonair and it looks a good plane to start on, so i started building one, however i have see numerous pictures of the plastic fuselage in peices after a crash and some people have said to save the debonaire and start with something stronger!

So what i was thinking is: Are there any great trainers out there that have a metal fuselage because this is obviously harder to damage and will take harder impacts that i am obviously going to encounter!

What good trainers are there that are mega tough and can survive a hell of alot?

Thank you
Old 07-06-2004, 03:55 PM
voyager_663rd

Default RE: Starting Out

the deb was DESIGNED as a trainer. Any of these planes made out of pvc fuses are gonna crack if you land them too hard. One way I've found is to build it without gear. That way, your landings have to be greased in. It won't guarantee it won't bust up on you but it's just one suggestion.

Metal? Kinda heavy. Stick with the pvc.

An alternate: make the fuse out of the same coro as the wing. There are plans on the spad site for coro fuses. They work (with gear) but have a tendency (mine did anyway) to start a bit of a sag directly in front of the gear (kinda like the concord front end). Just requires re-trimming when you start to notice the sag.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:29 AM
Captain351

There are no instructors near me so i am going to have to battle it out by myself
I suppose there are people who have learned to fly this way but is sure is going to take you longer. I'd have to suggest that whatever you build you make several at a time because your going to need them.

I find it hard to believe there are no instructors in your area, the UK isn't that big of an island and there are an awful lot of modelers there.

Even if you have to spend a lot of time trying to find an instructor and have to travel a fair distance to fly with him, it will be well worth it in the end.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Spastic

look in the tele book and find the local hobby shops, call them and ask for help, they will point you in the right direction, you could even ask around on RCU and find somebody that lives down the street who could help flying a plane is not like driving a rc car..i wish clubs did a better job reaching out to youth[]

i second the coro fuse, i bet you can't find the gutter anyway, its getting hard to find everywhere.
the coro fuse has more bounce and comes out lighter, somtimes...