Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Two s.P.A.D.s from Russia

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Two s.P.A.D.s from Russia

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 12:35 PM
UNKOV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Two s.P.A.D.s from Russia

I know this problem of steering on the snow (more on ice). Well I should say it looks cool sometimes! A friend of mine even likes to taxi on icy snow as if its a car model.
Sounds strange but I didn't have any cracks or bendings in these ski-design. Though if you make tough landings all the time and the snow surface is not even the skis would probably crack there. Just apply another plate of coro over it or insert a brass tube!
The fasteners are in the pic. Think you may find same in a store.
We made a short flying session two day ago - see the pics! It was -5 and no wind. Managed to get by cars (not off-roads) right to the center of the field and even didn't stuck there. We have the first snow now, not deep yet.
Serge
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79677.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	203608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36506.jpg
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	203609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18659.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	203610  
Old 02-04-2005, 12:11 PM
mikenlapaz

Your planes are most impressive and you are sharing some very nice ideas. Look forward to more of you input.
I just had to try babel fish translator on this to see if you think it does an acceptable translation.

Ваши плоÑкоÑти Ñамые импреÑÑивные и вы делите некоторые очень Ñлавные идеи. ПоÑмотрите вперед к больше из Ð²Ð°Ñ input.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:54 AM
grecospad

hi i'm grecospad from greece,amazing planes,they are the best i've seen so far!
where did you find coroplast ?i can't find anything here in greece
Old 02-06-2005, 10:41 AM
UNKOV

Mikenlapaz, I appreciate your attempt to switch to Russian (thanks to SPADs!) - though this language is difficult even for native speakers sometimes and seems that pooling it through a PC translator is even more complicated. I think i could hardly understand it right if i didn't have the original. In russian it sounds like that: your surfaces are most fantastic and you divide some glorious ideas. You look ahead to bigger input out of you. Dont smile, no hidden sense. Only a problem of word order, word selection and some endings! Hope my English is better when I talk about SPADs!
Now back to our birds. We have a real winter now with -20 C frost and a lot of snow but modelers and newcommers prepare for the new season. I started to build several PT-19-like models. The fuse is put on the IPONEMA wing for test. Hope to finish this squadron in a month.

Grecospad, I'm sure you have coro in your country but probably the sellers dont' call it COROPLAST! When I started to search for coro in Moscow I couldnt find it first. The problem was that it had a different name (it was named after production firm). Same happened with CA clue - they call it COSMOFEN after the name of the manufacturer).
By the way I was in Greece 10 years ago on the coast near Cateriny (if I put it right) - nice place - and got acquainted with the owner of the local RC shop Mr Vangelis. My first 40- trainer and Supertigre were bought there!Vangelis with his friends was flying their models right on the beach making the final turn over the sea - great! Hope he is OK!

Here are some pictures from my workshop.
Nice landigs!

Sergy

Name:	Li20808.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	225669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58629.jpg
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	225670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96268.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	225671  
Old 02-06-2005, 03:59 PM
grecospad

hi sergy,i hope you had i nice time here,was it platamon or leptokaria the place you visited?anyway a friend of mine from australia "woodsy"from spadtothebone will send me some pieces of coro so will have them for reference to show what i'm looking for.here at florina know is like - 9 with some snow but very windy so i can't go flying i hope you can make your planes i good business and take more people into spad!
Old 02-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Kripto

Great planes Serge. Squadron, you werent kidding! do you usually make so many planes at a time? keep up the good work and maybe some plans....

Ed
Old 02-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

Serge,

Thanks for posting pictures of your winter Ski set up, in post #24. I made two sets for my planes out of 4mm and 2mm coroplast. One set (red) is on a SPA3DT, and the other set (white) is on my Spadet. They work great. I had to make the white set a little wider for the Spadet because of its weight. I used pop rivets with pieces of flat PVC plastic on bottom and top to hold it all together, then I glued a piece of 2mm coroplast on the bottom to give it a smooth finish. For the retaining spring, I coiled some 4-40 piano wire around the axle and gear leg to hold them in one position (see attached photos). I have the foward part of ski's pointing slightly upward, so upon landing they will spring down on the snow.

Thanks,
Omaha_RC_Flyer

Name:	Nl28621.jpg
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	226535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60157.jpg
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	226536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56783.jpg
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	226537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16920.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	226538  
Old 02-09-2005, 07:49 AM
UNKOV

Grecospad, I'm still sure you can get coro in Greece, more then that i think there is a factory producing this stuff! Any enterprise dealing with advertising must have it in stock.
I don't remember the right name of the place on the beach but it is some forty kilometers away from Saloniki. And it was great there! Strange for me to hear about -9 C in that sunny country!

Cripto, there are two reasons to built several spads at a time - first friends (modelers) ask for off-roads to fly in the country, second - spads become even more easy when you build many. I sell them some times but its not a business for the time.

Omaha RC Flyer, glad you like the ski set up, gonna build big ones for the Junkers and fly it in a week. I like the way you solved the problem of ski positioning - it very important. This trainer looks much like a balsa one - seems its the best complement for a spad!
Old 02-10-2005, 03:59 AM
grecospad

well we left -9 far behind! for about 4 days now we are close to you! we have -25 at night and -12 to -16 all day long! of course this is only at florina that i live .about 35 km from here things are very dif. from - 10 to +2 was yesterday! i can't even go skiing ! anyway i'm waiting for the reference pieces from woodsy and then i'll go hunting!!! in australia they only have 3mm and 5mm but thats ok i only want people to see what i'm looking for so woodsy will send me small pieces about 5cmX5cm so that i can have them with me everywhere!
Old 02-10-2005, 04:03 AM
grecospad

i really like the spadet ! was it easy to build ? i want to build it as soon as i find some coro!
Old 02-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

grecospad,

If you can locate some of the square gutter downspout or something of the like, in Greece, I would suggest building the [link=http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/Debonair/]Debonair[/link] for your first one (it was my first). Most people build the Deb first, not to say the [link=http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/Spadet/]Spadet[/link] can't be your first. Making the deb will give you a little experience with working with Coroplast, before starting something a little more involved like the Spadet. As soon as you find some Coroplast, and get a plane built, we would like to see some photos and read a flight report.

Later,
Omaha
Old 02-10-2005, 11:30 AM
grecospad

i've decided to build the spadet cause i can't find the gutter thing here in greece nor the coro,something similar to gutter pipe would be nice if i knew the size and the weight of the gutter pipe! the closer i've came to coro was when a cyrcus came to town and they had coroplast adv. and a adv.of lipton tea (serge knows i think the brand).the cyrcus people said that they will bring me some next summer,as for the lipton adv. it was to small and i couldn't just take it!
when i'll find coro here i'll start building the spadet and some other crazy ideas i have! of course i'll keep you posted!
Old 03-14-2005, 09:25 PM
lecrote
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Sergy,

Could you explain your fuse and engine mount technique???

It seem that your engine mount is part of the plane in coro in what I see in the pic

Thanks

Dan
Old 03-14-2005, 10:18 PM
RC-Captain

Serge, I am new to SPAD planes and have to say I am surprised your post hasn't received more attention from more experienced SPAD builders.

But just one question, would you ever build and sell ? I'm currently working on three SPAD planes and am having a hard time getting them done. If you would sell one of your planes ARF pf course please email me and let me know. Thanks.

Dave
Old 03-15-2005, 07:50 AM
UNKOV

Hi, lecrote!
The general idea of the engine mount is same as we have it in US AIRCORE planes - a cartridge slides inside the fuse from the front. But! it is made of 8mm coro with two wooden bars on both sides of the engine. Coro helps to reduce vibration and helps in crashes. Sorry, dont have detailed pics for the time.

RC-FIEND, thank you for the attitude, will make inquiries and e-mail you later.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:07 PM
lecrote
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the info.

I think that usaircore have a pic on their website

Dan
Old 03-16-2005, 03:19 AM
grecospad

hi,sergie.i'm waiting for my building materials to arrive from athens! and i say building materials cause its not coro,its about the same thing but it's called polycarbonate pe and not polypropilen pp that coro is called! i'm going to build my plane with 4mm and 6mm instead of 2mm and 4mm cause this is the smallest i've found,i'll give it a shot see how it goes!i'll keep you posted!
giannis
Old 03-16-2005, 05:58 AM
UNKOV

Hi, giannis, I'm still convinced you have real coro in Greece, just didn't come across it yet. I know this polycarbonate, its used in advertising everywhere, but is much heavier and fragile then coro. Though my friends make some simple CL models of it. Please inform when you have first experience with it.

By the way here is another trainer - "red and white".

Name:	Ca82199.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	244636  
Old 03-16-2005, 07:30 AM
grecospad

serge it would be really nice if you could make some planes and sell them,i know i speak for many people that would like to buy your planes,i don't know if it would be a good investment for you or if you have the time to spare to make them but it would be nice!
as soon as it'll be ready i'll send you some pics,them guy i've bought them from is from athens and imports coro also but doesn't have it in stock and promised me that when somebody wants coro he will save some for me.
i'm still looking for it thought.
giannis