Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Two s.P.A.D.s from Russia

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Two s.P.A.D.s from Russia

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 06:17 AM
UNKOV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two s.P.A.D.s from Russia

Hi to all! Just want to represent my new corobirds. The big one (2.66 meters span) looks much like Junkers 13 (year 1919) and has Rioby 31 cc engine for power. The small one (1.75 meters) was built after brazilian IPONEMA agricultural aircraft. Not very simple by SPAD"s standards but still easier then wooden birds!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91363.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	195801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89723.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	195802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73103.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	195803  
Old 11-23-2004, 06:31 AM
thirsty003
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Two s.P.A.D.s from Russia

Hey UNKOV,

Nice planes - first time I've heard a 1.75 metre (6 foot) wingspan plane called small

You can get Coro in Russia? It just proves to me this is the way of the future for easy build and tough planes,

Regards

Tony
Adelaide, Australia
Old 11-23-2004, 07:04 AM
UNKOV

Yes Tony, I call it small just because I dont build coro models smaller then 0.46 - I like when models fly more like real aircrafts and I find that this effect begins from 0.46 - 0.50 engines.
About coro. Thanks god we do have all types of plastics in stock now in Moscow (in other big cities too). The nearest plastic store is now 4 kilometers away from my workshop so I dont even make my own reserve.
Nice landings!
Serge
Old 11-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Turbobeaver

Hello Unkov.Your creativity and originality is to be applauded.Very,very nice indeed.Any chance of plans being posted for either one of these designs in the future.I would think that the guy's over at "SPAD TO THE BONE" would be glad to have your plans for these unique aircraft on their website for all to admire and enjoy.Good flying!
Old 11-24-2004, 10:04 AM
UNKOV

I wish I could have plans either! But I dont make any while building -- just some drawings to understand the dimentions of the future model. If I have to repeat my own thing I will measure the old one step by step.
Nice landings to all!
Old 11-24-2004, 09:32 PM
DLSmith2

Unkov,

Beautiful planes! How do they respond to control input; fast like sport planes or slower like trainers?

Please give us a flight report on them!

Blue skies,

DL
Old 11-25-2004, 04:59 AM
UNKOV

Good question, DL. The point is everythingl I'm trying to do in aircrart modelling deals with HOW the model flies. All my models are desined for slow flight that means more realistic flight, as we know that in BIG aviation nothing happens fast!
About theese two. IPONEMA can fly like COLT by US AIRCORE but is stronger and the gear offers tougher landings. I use the elerons as flaps (like in all my other planes) to reduce speed on final.
Junkers has a really scale speed! It flies like a true plane with a grace and stability. HE is underpowered (5.5 kilos thrust at 10.5 kilos weight) but still can make simple aerobatic exercises. But it makes no sence for it - a slow flight, beautiful classic landing and a real take off give much more fun with the plane then any aertobatics!
Here are some other pics for you and nice landings to all.

Name:	Ec89943.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	196421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52545.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	196422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93711.jpg
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	196423  
Old 11-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Omaha_RC_Flyer

UNKOV,
Very nice planes! Have you built any of the designs from the [link=http://www.spadtothebone.com]Spad Website[/link]? Frankie C. needs to put these in the showcase. Hint Hint if your reading Frank.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:10 PM
UNKOV

Omaha RC Flier,
glad you like the planes. In fact I din't build anything from SPAD sites nor I had any really simple planes of my own design. But I think I'm about to build one or two for combat RC events that are now practiced in Russia. On the 6 of November we had one and I was asked to come for fighting in "open" class. I was flying on that IPONEMA as had no special model for the time. It was a real mess - my model, two classic trainers 0.40 and three combat wings in the air. Mine was hit by the combat wing - engine and the wing was damaged but we managed to repair everything right at the field. Here are some pics of repair process at the shop.

Name:	Qo38665.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	196497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77573.jpg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	196498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30952.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	196499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26624.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	196500  
Old 11-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Turbobeaver

Unkov,the Iponema was way too nice a plane to sacrifice in a combat event.[:@]Must have been a sitting duck flying against all those other purpose built combat wings and things.Visions of squadrons of Me-109's diving down from above at a lone B-17 are coming to mind.DOHH!Did you ever have a chance?Not good,not good.Did you get to bag anyone before she went down?At least it would make you feel a slight bit better.....right?
Old 11-25-2004, 11:17 PM
Mitty

Zdarva Zemliak
Ja to}|{e moskvich...bivshij }|{il na dinamo do 99 goda.
Ti gde letaesh,v tushino?
Cool planes!I got a few spads.Working on spa3d now. Gde v moskve prodajutsia aviacionnie dvigateli i arf's?Ili cherez internet zakazivaesh?Gde ,esli ne sekret,kupil ryobi dvigatel?

Mir tesen

Mitia
Old 11-26-2004, 05:45 AM
UNKOV

Yes Turbobeaver, IPONEMA is no good for fighting against "wings" ! I could not attack but started to make long passes close to the ground and one wing hit the grass trying to cut my strip - it was too manuevreable to fly that low! Another that hit me straight to the engine and wing fell down by parts... My engine stopped but the plane was responding to control so I made a usual "emergency" landing. All that was cool for spectators but I think it was not a good idea to do this open class in combat - you are right it was a sitting duck from the start and had no chances.

Mitty, nice to meet you!
Well we have about 12 shops with all RC goods in Moscow now. Prices are different and may be a bit higher then in US or CANADA. RIOBY engines are easy to get in any GARDEN shop or in repair department, they cost about 100 bucks.
Could be easier for us to converse in russian I'll be glad if you email me. I'm not sure my address is readable on RCU, here it is - [email protected]
Nice landings!
Old 11-28-2004, 01:44 AM
rookie8

Serge. I like your planes. Have you tried "jagengines.com"? They have just about anything you need to modify Ryobi engines for RC use.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:34 PM
UNKOV

rookie8, thanks a lot for telling me about jagengines. Looked it through, very useful for me!
Old 12-01-2004, 04:28 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Very nice. The last pic in post #7 looks very cold! I've winter flown a lot, but that looks like it would be getting down to my limit
Old 12-02-2004, 07:46 AM
UNKOV

Well, Goinsraightup, I must say it was close to my limit too. The temp was about -15 Centigrate The only reason to go flying was the absence of wind. I had to use gloves but I managed to keep in the air only for five minutes as my fingers didnt feel the stick. Made only two or three short flights on the day, same with my friends. Here are some other pics of the day. It took place at the old airfield in Moscow, now not functioning, only some rare flights on light aircrafts are made. In the back there is a glider taken in the air in that frost.

Name:	Gd93600.jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	198548   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49112.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	198549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95735.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	198550  
Old 12-02-2004, 08:16 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Despite the cold, it still looks like fun. The coldest I've flown is -2 Centigrade. Great pictures.

Jeff
Old 12-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Throttle

Frank C29 I recommend Vnkov's planes for the Spadtothebone web sight.

Vnkov. Great looking planes. Job well done.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Turbobeaver

I'll second that one.His aircraft are some of the best if not THE best spads I've ever seen.My god,they actually look like real aircraft.If you didn't know better,you'd swear they were built out of balsa.Well done Serge!

Serge,what do you call the airplane in the winter flying pictures?That is one nice looking plane.Could you give us some more information on this plane and possibly a few more pics.

There is probably only one other country on the planet that has modellers that are wacky enough to fly at -15 degrees celsius other than Russia and that is Canada.We share very similiar winters temperature wise.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:30 AM
UNKOV

The plane in winter pictures is MERLIN (name suggested by my son four years ago when the first one was made). Though it has low symmetrical wing it's a good trainer with low wing load (due to big wing square).Underpowered (0.46 OS and 3.5 kilos). Capable of all classic maneuvers, has the front gear strut with additional spring absorber for tough landings. Main gear struts have significant torsion effect (see the pic). Has 90 mm wheels.That is all because we lack asphalt runways and often have to fly from the ground - sPADs are the best for Russia!. Made of 2mm white coro (4mm for tail section) and decorated with AROCAL.
By the way coro available in Moscow is mostly of Israel or Italian origin. Seems it differs a bit from what can be obtained in US or Canada judging by US aircore planes. Yours has more inner tension and is not that easy to bend. Ours is more rubberlike though it depends upon the supply.
See other pics on my website www.aerostudio.narod.ru
Nice landings!

Name:	Wu61028.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	198881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35990.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	198882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34979.jpg
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	198883  
Old 12-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Turbobeaver

Hi Serge.Nice pictures.I checked out your web site and there are some interesting pictures there also.Couldn't read any of your written text unfortunately.My Russian is NO where as good as your english.The power of the internet always amazes me as it lets us,the common people of this world, communicate and share our own ideas and experiences with each other.It is so cool to be able to communicate with other modellers from other countries and see what they do.

When I was looking at your pictures of the ME-109 on ski's,the way you mounted your landing gear to the plane kind of intrigued me a bit.When you were describing the landing gear on the Merlin ,I don't think I quite understood the picture of the plane with the bent landing gear referring to the "torsional effect".Do you mean that they are they spring loaded or shock absorbing in nature.The two planes look like they share the same idea as far as how the landing gear are fastened.Are the landing gear being retained with small pieces of coroplast squares and velcro fasteners?Looks like changing from ski's to wheels would be a breeze.

Lastly Serge,I was wondering how you made and mounted your snow ski's.Are they made out of Coroplast as well?They look very unique.With winter upon us now,maybe others would be interested in putting their SPAD's on ski's also.Good flying!
Old 12-07-2004, 04:01 PM
UNKOV

Turbobeaver, I made some pics that probably explain the gear design. All my models have same idea of gear mount. In Merlin it works best as main struts go backward under the load and can absorb serious obstacles on the runway saving the plane. Choosing different diameters of wire you can adjust the gear to the model weight. I must say this mount is used in many balsa birds but seems only in coro it works in full. After some landings ("falls") there are black traces of wheels left on the lower surface of the wing! No repair needed after.
Questions are welcome. Ski's design will come a bit later.
Nice winter flying!

Name:	Hf98578.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	200423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16784.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	200424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28622.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	200425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28862.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	200426  
Old 12-13-2004, 04:07 AM
igenius

UNKOV

Very nice Fuse design on you winter project (Merlin). Would you be so kind to explain a bit more how you manage to put that fuse together, foldlines etc, maybe a picture or two.

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards
Rudi
Old 12-16-2004, 10:30 AM
UNKOV

Turbobeaver, on these winter ski's (think winter is not over in Canada yet). They are made of 5 up to 8 mm Coro and mounted on the same axle as the wheel. I hope pics show the design well enough. Two parts are fixed with plastic clips. The only problem with all ski's is that one has to make them keep a certain position against the wing to prevent bending in flight. I had that effect in the air several times when one of the skis looked down with its tip and safe landing was impossible. 2 mm wire spring solves the problem.

Rudi, I will prepare some tips on fuse design soon.

Nice landings!
Serge

Name:	Mk26072.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	203566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88793.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	203567   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29840.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	203568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81081.jpg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	203569  
Old 12-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Turbobeaver

Hi Serge.Thanks for the pics my friend.I like the simplicity of your snow ski's.The idea of heating the Coro and bending it over a rounded surface to create the tip of the ski is a good one.Do you have any directional control problems without a keel on the bootom of the ski's?It has been my experience that they slide sideways without it and are hard to keep running in a straight line,especially when the snow starts to turn into ice crystals later in the winter after a few freeze/thaw cycles.It's a killer on wing tips to.May as well be sand paper.

I was wondering as to what type of red plastic fastener you are using to attach the top and bottom parts of the ski together.Is it some type of a plastic rivet or something?Also,how do you keep the upper part of the ski(part that axle goes through) from collapsing under load impact.It would seem to me that the coro would just bend or fold up under load eventually.Is there some type of stiffener your using inside them to strengthen them.If not,it must be pretty tough stuff.

Winter here in Canada is just getting started.We've had our third snow fall of the season so far this year with about 12" accumulated on the ground....and a lot more on the way.To fly around here,snow shoes are not an option......they are a must.The hardest part of winter flying is actually making it to our field.We are about 125 yards off of a country road in a farmers field and the snow is usually waist deep.We all joke about having a heart attack or stroke trudging through the snow to get to the flying field.Ya gotta love flying to tough these conditions and the cold temperatures to boot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.