Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Which Thickness of Coroplast ????

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Which Thickness of Coroplast ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 03:32 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Thickness of Coroplast ????

I am building an EPP mothership and putting a Zenoah G-26 on it. I am going to use Corroplast for the engine mount and need to know what thickness of coroplast it would take to be strong enough to mount a G-26 to. With this much power weight is NOT a concern, but streingth is !

What thickness of coroplast does US aircore use for a 40 sized plane fuselage ?
Old 05-23-2005, 03:51 PM
tamccain

Default RE: Which Thickness of Coroplast ????

I don't think it is wise to use just coroplast for your engine mount. I don't think you will ever get the strength or rigidity from coroplast that you will need for the engine mount. You should use something like the plastic cutting boards, or wood, or even some steel, but I don't think the coroplast would be a good idea.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:48 PM
rsieminski

Coro is not for engine mounts. 2mm coro for most wings, 4mm for most fuse's. HDPE for most engine mounts. Nothing is set in stone, but if you use coro to mount an engine, someone will end up in the ER.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:33 PM
ChrisSpad

not to mention the coro melting.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:42 PM
RC-Captain

I feel you can use coro if you cover the parts where the engine touches the mount with CA covered balsa. This way it won't melt the coro when hot and you will save on weight. Of course you know the CA is for fire proofing the mount and fire wall. GL
Old 05-23-2005, 08:53 PM
jpr72c
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the pics in "My First Gasser" thread. I mounted a G26 on 1/2" plywood and it works great I'm now a believer in coro fuse - very strong and lite. I had used gutter pipe in all my other spads!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:09 PM
voyager_663rd

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

I feel you can use coro if you cover the parts where the engine touches the mount with CA covered balsa. This way it won't melt the coro when hot and you will save on weight. Of course you know the CA is for fire proofing the mount and fire wall. GL
coro won't hold the weight, especially a g26. use balsa to support it? bah. that balsa IS your engine mount. would you use balsa as a mount ANYWHERE? Don't think so.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:31 PM
RC-Captain

I agree , I wouldn't use anything but a regular die cast metal or what I think is carbon fiber plastic engine mount. But I must guess he must have seen a coroplast mount before which leads me to believe this why he is asking about the thickness of the US aircore fuse.