Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

My latest. Any tips for throttle adjustment?

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

My latest. Any tips for throttle adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 04:10 PM
xray328
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My latest. Any tips for throttle adjustment?

So heres my latest, an Enya powered .15 midget SNS. (I know I need stickers.) I built this to be a "parkflyer", but this little Enya packs a punch so we'll see about that. It came with a 7x4 but I've heard it might take a 9x6?!? I can't get it tuned though. I'm just not good enough yet to properly route the pushrod and get the throttle adjusted correctly, this Enya is so small. It all works fine I guess but I can't shut it off via the radio. Thats kind of a problem since its gonna belly land. Any tips?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31680.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	379180  
Old 01-01-2006, 05:00 PM
MrGreenSpeed

Default RE: My latest. Any tips for throttle adjustment?

What kind or radio TX do You have.
I have a flash 5x it has epa( endpoint adjustment that changes how far the servo arm moves from the center) from 0 to 125% hold stick down and adjust idle/shut off.. go full throttle adjust so it's wide open at full throttle. Then add in aprox 10 to 25 % idle trim and use the cut off switch to stop the engine.
That way if You panic You won't dead stick by pulling the throttle off.
My old 5 channel futaba also has trim pots that can be adjusted with a small screw driver.

If not; You have to keep playing with the throttle wire/push rod and servo horn hole placement till You get it right.( can be a pain in the butt.)
Jeff
ps
a 9 x 6 is too big for a .15 an 8 x 3 or 8 x 4 work good, but break it in on a 7 x 4 first.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:31 PM
smokingwreckage

With analog radios I set the trim at idle with the radio trim about 3/4 of the way up. That way to kill the engine simply reduce the throttle and slide the trim all the way down.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:44 PM
Scott Crownover

I like to make separate pushrods for the throttle lever end, and for the servo arm end, making sure that they are long enough to overlap by about 1 1/2 inches. Then I slip a 2 inch long piece of fuel tubing over the overlap to make a single easily adjusted pushrod (this can be either before or after you hook up the servo end). It makes a tight slip fit, plenty strong enough to hold a length adjustment, and very forgiving in a crash.

Scott
Old 01-02-2006, 05:56 AM
smokingwreckage

Wow. Great idea! Now I can use up all those old pushrod ends that have been stacking up on the shelf.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:59 PM
mikenlapaz

Scott Crownover :
I like your strain relief/adjustment method. I'm going to give it a try on a OS52FS new on test stand going into a new design SPAD.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:45 AM
xray328
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 01-04-2006, 03:30 PM
coolbean

ORIGINAL: Scott Crownover

I like to make separate pushrods for the throttle lever end, and for the servo arm end, making sure that they are long enough to overlap by about 1 1/2 inches. Then I slip a 2 inch long piece of fuel tubing over the overlap to make a single easily adjusted pushrod (this can be either before or after you hook up the servo end). It makes a tight slip fit, plenty strong enough to hold a length adjustment, and very forgiving in a crash.

Scott
I've seen that method used on a lot of combat planes, especially the ones with breakaway engine mounts. It works good for the smaller engines, but anything over above a .40 with the bigger carbs, servos, and vibration it gets a little iffy. At that point I have seen guys slip wheel collars on instead of, or with the fuel tubing for a little more reisitance.