Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Robart hinges

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Big Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robart hinges

I don't like the way my aileron hinges came out on my Deb wing (I blotched it when I cut out the flute for the hinge, used an exacto knife and went all the way thru in a few places on the port wing-duh). The wing came out great other than that. I've decided to just cut them off and put in robart hinges, my question is how many should I put in? I'm thinking 4-6 per side, that sound about right?
Thanks in advance,
Pete
Old 03-07-2006, 11:08 PM
voyager_663rd

Default RE: Robart hinges

why bother?

just make a new aileron out of some scrap coro (if there is such a thing), hinge it properly, pop the wing open and re-glue it by making a sandwich (top wing/airleron/bottom wing). This is the original way of making the control surface.

bob's your uncle, you're up and flying.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:27 PM
ChrisSpad

i'd use at least 6 personally.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I wouldnt waste money on robart hinges. It seems like a lot of work. Being that it is a Spad just run some tape down the seam to reinforce it.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Big Pete

Thanks y'all for the input. I think I'll just tape it with scotch crystal clear and scotch packing tape as I saw on another thread. It really ain't that bad. I plan on joining a local club and getting an instructor. I was thinking if he wasn't hip to spads he might not want to fly a plane held together with tape, of course we know better. Just a thought.
Pete
Old 03-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

As a word of warning. If nobody else is flying SPADs at your club or have never seen them people can be a little critical of them. The best way to fix that is fly the heck out of it and show everyone how great it flies.

I was flying a SPAD one time and in a full throttle dive I couldnt pull it out in time and plowed it into the ground. When I walked back to the pits noone could believe that the plane was basically undamaged and could fly again that same afternoon.