Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Paints that really work on Coroplast?

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Paints that really work on Coroplast?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 06:36 AM
Turbobeaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paints that really work on Coroplast?

Well first off,let me apologize for being redundant if this subject has been talked about a thousand times before.It's been a while since I've seen this topic crop up and I would like to find out what types of paint you guy's are using on Coroplast that really adhere well and are fuel proof to boot.Polypropylene is a tough nut to crack when it comes to getting paint to stick well.From my own experience,I have found that the plastic has to be degreased/cleaned/scufffed and then cleaned really well again in order to get paint to adhere.I like to use either acetone or lacquer thinner for the degreasing/cleaning part and a good cotton rag turning it over frquently as I'm wiping it down.A 320 grit wet sand paper with just a touch of water does a good job of scuffing up the surface of the plastic.There have been so many paints pulled from the hobby shop shelves in the past few years,the selection is getting pretty thin to say the least.Finding a paint that is the right colour and that is "slimer proof" is the big problem.What brands of paint are you using that are proving to be good for painting on Coroplast?I'm wanting to do a Top Gun Aggressor Squadron two tone blue type paint scheme and it would take an eternity using graphic art vinyl.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Paints that really work on Coroplast?

Rustoleum that isn't clear, metallic or dayglow/flourescent color.

Sign vinyl, gotta find your nearest provider.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. No paint, just vinyl. Paint is heavy anyway.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:39 PM
Turbobeaver

Graphic art vinyl is not the lightest stuff in the world either.Depending on the mil thickness of the vinyl in question,it can be as heavy as a bad paint job(applied too heavily) and in some cases even worse.I go lite on the finish know matter what I'm using.It doesn't matter worth a dam how good it looks when it's finished if it doesn't fly worth a s**t.Too much of any type of finish can easily hinder a models flight performance potential.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:37 PM
voyager_663rd

krylon (brand name) works well also. I've used green white and red with no fuel penetration at all.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:21 PM
FantzyPantz

I just saw a pretty good article in November 2006 edition of Fly RC, yeah it's kinda weird that is comes out a whole 2 months early. Anyway, take a look at the article about improving adhesion of paints to plastics. (pg 134) Water-reducible paints are the ones that are fuel proof but don't stick to plastic very well. Coating the plastic with a layer of 3M artists spray will give the paint something to stick to. That would be like gluing the paint to the plastic. Duh! Why go through all that trouble? It's going to add more weight anyway. But, for plastic cowlings and wheel pants, it's not a bad idea at all...

I've tried several types of spray paints. Thr Krylon, Rustoleum and others all slime with the fuel. I have not, however, coated the paint with the clear laquer stuff that has been recommended. I use vinyl stickers/sign vinyl now.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:03 AM
Team_Monkey

I use regular rustoleum, dull and glossy type. I got into a few 4x8's of white so I had to color it some how.

Like others on the forum I use a light rub down with no odor mineral spirits on a green 3M pad. Just real light and real fast.

I'm an electrical engineer not a chemist, but from my old car painting days I would have to guess it's not the mechanical prep, but rather the chemical prep of getting rid of some of the plastic coating.

It works for me, your milage may vary...
Old 09-27-2006, 04:13 PM
voyager_663rd

Remember though, if you rough the coro up (which I find I don't have to), the paint will NOT fill the scratches.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:42 PM
O2man
My Feedback: (5)

If you really want to paint, Krylon seems to do the job. still, the coro will flex and the paint will work its way off the surface--just the physics of the thing. The paint is not IN the coro----just ON. Sign vinyl rules.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:07 AM
spadeng

I preped it with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser it cleans good and leaves micro scratches then use Rustoleum