Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

I think it's funny!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 01:02 AM
grant-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think it's funny!

Ok I think that All of the spad sites are great. This is all free info to help people get into spad. Stu's site doesnt look commerical to me, he just has good free info just like the rest of the sites.

Too the two involved in the misunderstanding, Dont cry over spilled milk! Be gentlemen and Just clean it up!!
Old 01-25-2003, 04:03 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey...let me the owner of RCU chime in on this one...after all this is an important issue.

The first rule is that no commercial site can post in the forums to promote their own site. Why? Because they each have a monetary vested interest to outdo and one up each other...end result is a forum of commercial vendors polluting RCU with their shameless plugs. Ok that one is easy.

Next...free sites with items of interest and pertinent. If there is a link to a specific topic or other element of interest to another site it is allowed. Like if somebody is talking about an electric plane and there is a big thread at ezone on it so a poster or even the owner of ezone posts a direct link to that thread it is ok. Free flow here.

If a users answers the question of another user about sites in general that are resources and they run down a laundry list and they aren't the owners with a vested interest that is cool.

If the owner of a non commercial site comes here to post their site in nothing more than a blatant "hey...look at us" type of post we even allow that but only once per month. Why once per month? Well I can guarantee if that poster does it every day or ever single week your gonna get sick of it.

I hope this is simple and makes sense. I think what was tought to determine here was whether this site was commercial. Captain232 asked the question using RCU's PM facility. Anytime you log in to RCU we all know the blinking red bar on the homepage and the "New PM's in red at the top of every page. Also if enabled you even get a popup telling you that you have a new message waiting. Now these methods were not acceptable to the site owner but our 2 forms of communication on RCU are email and/or PM. PM's we can get a receipt for so we know if the message was read and understood or just ignored.

Spads are good. We love spads....we spawned the PBF phenom according to RCR. We are for free flow. Just clarify what the site is or is not and follow the rules stated above and then the members benefit from the free flow of info and are also protected from spam.

thanks.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:21 AM
rchawaii

Marc, I have a request, and it has nothing to do with Buz^?
or your moderator here.

Could we have direct clarification form you about Stus site?

Please visit the site and decide for yourself, If you say it's something Stu was incorrect about posting, then we won't bother with it.

http://spadworld.com

Thanks for chiming in Marc, your opinion matters most to me.

In addition, I apologize AGAIN for plugging my forum by your own definitions, I was breaking your rules, so were several others.

I assure you, it was not intendd, we were just ecstatic to get the word spread.

Sincerely

Chuck
Old 01-25-2003, 04:31 AM
mvigod
Banned

I got a few frame errors in there but didn't see anything commercial pop out. The rules are in place so you guys can get the word out while at the same time doing it tastefully. Heck I even allow and encourage both commercial and non commercial postsers to include their name, company/site name and website address in their signature (but no promotional mumbo jumbo with it).

My goal is to help users here. I think a site that is useful to a member should be brought to others attention. The rules are only designed to do this in an effective yet non spamming/obtrusive way so everyone can "get the picture" without getting annoyed. This way info flows freely and everyone wins.

In the end people will use whatever site or sites they enjoy. The rules just keep things fair to each member and have worked extremely well in facilitating the free flow of information in a postive direction.

Chuck - I see you don't even have you site name or URL in your signature...you know you could put it there and then all 30 of your posts have your site name and url in it. Just don't post without meaning of course to litter url's everywhere

thanks all.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:04 AM
spadworld

If there is a rule about posting non commercial sites, then make it. I figured that It would be nice to make a post that allowed all the RCU users a link to goto the SPAD LIBRARY. It's the most complete one there is.

If you want to know exactly how that site came to be... One day I got tired of the same ld rabbit chase of hunting SPAD PLANS. would you believe that there were over 10 sites that had one - twenty plans on each? So I wanted a site that had all the plans in one place. then one day I found that over ten sites had hints about building spads. So I wanted one site to have that info too. So I bought some space from a suplier that a friend of mine refered me too and then I had more space than needed. SO when I noticed that one man, who wasn't in this scene to make money but to help others get those factory direct prices that they couldn't get across country except added an extremely reasonable shipping cost for engines, who's site was down 3 days a week or more I offered to mirror his site to HELP HIM OUT! I suddenly get accused of being commercial. Yet I did it to help every one get an engine that could very well cost them $100 get it for $75.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:07 AM
rchawaii

I know I can Marc, but that's not why I'm here bro. I think you probably know that I don't litter urls everywhere, but point well taken.

Thank you for your clarification.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:24 AM
spadworld

RCAdmin I see that you have posted while I was typing so I'll Let you see just teh post that really got under my skin.

""""""""""""""""""""""""
the TITLE was
NEW LIBRARY FOR YOUR PLANS

I have worked all week and rebuilt the plans library hopefully for the last time! This one helps supply the most info for each set of plans as possible and still keep them short. There are many plans that are missing info and hopefully I can get some help from all of you to fill the empty spaces. Check it out at SPADWORLD.COM maybe the plans are there for your next plane or to help you with your next idea.

If you have plans that are not there SHARE them send them in with some info on them and I'll get them up ASAP!

Also it had a banner in at the bottom of the message.
Maybe that's what gave it a commercial look but I am an aprentice web designer / graphics artist and I take pride in what I do. So if my logo looks too "COMMERCIAL" then I apologise and may need to adjust the Quality so it looks like I have a free program that made it instead of one that I paid good money for.

In a way I just don't get it. The one person that has a fatal flaw of wanting to help people gets flamed so much. So much that he doesnt' want to help anyone on a site that has one person out there to agrivate him. That his real friends have to make him aware that a reply has been posted to a topic that he started before he left a site. A site he dispises so much due to one person that is employed or just volunteered to.

But I owe it to my fellow "REAL SPADders to reply to show what has agrivated me so much.

I want you RCADMIN to follow this link http://www.rcuniverse.com/forumdispl...s=&forumid=235 and tell me that you see a place for this forum to tell you that you have a private message. This is the link that I have followed since I have absolutely no time to go to any other part of this site other than this area to help NEW spadders with their questions or experements. So therefore I was not aware of the Private messages that were offered on this site nore really cared since I thaught that a REAL forum may contact you via E-mail if they dispised you for any reason since they make sure you have a valid account in the first place that maybe any real issue other than a "Hello how are you?" may be sent.

I have more interests that need fulfilled in my life other than griping about one person that obviously JUMPED THE GUN. So good bye. YOU KNOW WHERE TO FIND me!

And as for the STU BORNE comment YES I TAKE OFFENSE!

STUART <--- and if you come up with a pun for this..... well you'll see.
Old 01-25-2003, 06:29 AM
rchawaii

Default See message Icon

See message Icon
Old 01-25-2003, 07:31 AM
mvigod
Banned

Stuart,

I would have left your original post if it was a one shot announcement. If Captain232 made a mistake here then that is all that it is. He does not despise you and I don't either. Please don't take the removal of a post this personal.

I opened the SPAD forum to help other spadders enjoy this segment of the hobby. Your site appears to be a valuable resource and from what I viewed does not appear commercial. If it was just a one shot announcement post that was not made more than once in a month it should be allowed upon examination. Whether you wish to contribute and help out here though is now your decision. If you let a mistke like this keep you and others from enjoying what this forum is then both you and others lose out so I hope you reconsider.

An interesting thing I've seen over the year is that sometimes users here think they are getting picked on, singled out or are disliked. This is not the case. There are mods who are trying to enforce the rules and remember that some moderators are new and the rules are not always clear (we don't want to write RCU rules like a lawbook..the place is supposed to be fun) so it takes time to come up to speed. Have patience as every decision is taken quite seriously and every learns along the way.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:22 PM
pinball-RCU

since I thaught that a REAL forum may contact you via E-mail
Stu, chill! You are not helping yours or the SPAD cause by continuing to bite the hand that's trying to feed you. Marc has developed the most advanced web-based forum software on the Internet! To insult him or it by saying that a "REAL" forum would do things differently is just irrational. If you get in a pissing match with RCU about who has done more for the community, you will lose that match big time, and what could you gain anyway?

Here's a suggested translation for you:

"Ooops! I just realized that since I have a bookmark directly to a forum page, I never knew there was a PM feature! Cool! I'll take a look right now. BTW, you might want to think about enhancing the site to put the blinking 'You have a PM' on every page, to avoid this kind of confusion for others in the future."

This version conveys the same information, but in a way that is likely to get the results you want. Write the other version to vent, sure, but don't post it.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:42 PM
Ross Kean

Default SPAD and RCU

Hey Guys

I LIKE being a part of RCU. There is a great diversity of topics, opinions and ideas here that are far beyond what we are seeing on the SPAD forums - not necessarily better but a refreshing new viewpoint.

These sorts of arguments are most uncharacteristic of most SPADders! One of the reasons I enjoy the Spadworld.net and RCCA forums so much is the almost complete lack of sniping and flaming, unlike some forums that have existed in the past (and present?) It doesn't belong here, either!!!!

Stuart has a great resource site, http://www.spadworld.com , that is valuable to all of us and is not commercial in nature. Chuck's site, http://www.spadworld.net/ , is a SPAD-specific forum that is not in competition with RCU. I suspect hat anyone who reads this forum regularly will also read the Spadworld one!

I think SPAD will become a popular part of RCU and look forward to the association. At this time, I feel that SPAD is a guest. Bad manners, if they become commonplace here, may get us thrown out!

Don't drop the gloves over this! It's not worth it. I think there have been a few mis-understandings on both sides but its time to bury the hatchet.

Have fun

Be happy

Ross
Old 01-25-2003, 02:25 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Marc hasn't said anything that I have not tried to. As Marc mentioned, I have NOTHING agianst Stu personally so He is more than welcome here. So many of you are trying to DEFEND him when in the very beginning of this, I was just trying to get some info from him on what the intentions of his site were.

SOME of you made the arguement that if I had been to the site, I would see that it is nothing like RCUniverse. THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS....I have been there many times trying to figure this out. MY WHOLE POINT IS that there are discussion forums on there that may take people from this site to do their discussing to his site. THAT IS COMPITITION TO RCU. I am not against COMPITITION, but why should we allow them to advertise on our site.

I personally think it is GREAT that there is a site DEDICATED to nothing but SPADs. What I was trying to figure out in conversation with STU is that was it going to REAMAIN A SPAD ONLY DISCUSSION FORUM. If it ever evolved (which would be very easily done) into a forum for anything RC, then there is DEFINITELY a problem.

BELIEVE ME, some of the arguements you guys have brought up I have been fighting myself with. But as a moderator, I had to take some sort of action until the problem was resolved. Had Stuart have spoken to me in the beginning, I would have directed him to Marc (RCADMIN) where they could have prvately sorted things out which may have lead to none of this ever happening.

NOW once again, I think this one has been beaten to death and it is now time for ME to talk to Stuart PRIVATELY about this and get it staightened out. So PLEASE let's leave it alone. You have all been given plenty of opportunities to speak up. We have BETTER things to discuss than this here on RCU. I will assure you that if he so chooses, Stuart will be back on here doing his own thing ike the rest of us. I will speak with him and if he feels it is needed, we will get Marc involved.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:58 PM
rchawaii

My contents in this post could not be viewed by the general public because of my respect of the site owner Marc. Thank You Marc, for your honor and ability to see through the smoke-and for giving Stu and us a place thats fair and intelligent for your users to be more informed about the SPAD airplanes and our outright philosophy of not only treating our fellow man with respect, but giving more than we expect to receive.

Semper Fi
Chuck
Old 01-25-2003, 03:11 PM
rchawaii

My last post CAP? b4 I bust a gut.

Go here>>>>>>> HTTP://SPADWORLD.NET

It's is MY SITE!

Go Here>>>>>>> HTTP://SPADWORLD.COM

It's Stus site.

Do you not understand? Please try a little harder to see the dfference in your post, and this one's links. You don't need to reply okay, just try to understand...

Thanks..

Oh BTW Marc - it's attitudes like this that CREATES barriers not BREAK THEM:

but why should we allow them to advertise on our site.
Gee~ Sorry.
Old 01-25-2003, 03:24 PM
Tattoo

Peace my Spad Brothers!!!! Yes!!! Everybody go to LOWES and find something no one else has ever used in an R/C airplane...once it flies...report back here with pictures....and in the mean time...let this thread drop to a disssssssssssstaaaaant fading memory
Old 01-25-2003, 06:03 PM
mvigod
Banned

pinball...my post above clearly outlines the rules on this stuff....we do allow links to to other sources of interest per those rules in my post a few back...
Old 01-25-2003, 06:35 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

RCHawaii,

I understand that spadworld.net is YOUR site, but here was my original problem.

Stuart's site has a link to your's which seems to me to be a "PAGE" and not a common "LINK". The frequency at which he was PLUGGING his site into his posts was teetering on the edge of ADVERTISING. THIS and THIS alone is what I wanted to talk to Stuart about in the beginning. SOMEHOW it has gotten so BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION.

You HAVE to believe that I am in this for the people, this means everyone that has replied to this thread. There is NOTHING in this for myself, OTHER THAN being a part of what has become the BEST RC message board on the internet.

As moderators, we deal with everything from threads containing personal attacks to AVATARs that are inapropriate. While some of these things may seem small to you, they are important to others. Not only do we try to maintain peace, we (I) try to do the best we can to enforce the rules and keep everyone happy. As it has become obvious here, this isn't always easily done.

I have not and will not personally attack anyone on this site. I tried to make sure everyone was following rules and I received little in the way of help from Stuart. I HAD to do something. This will be resolved and as long as Stuart is happy, I am certain he will continue to communicate with others here on RCU.

Chalk this one up to MISCOMMUNICATION. I have sent Stuart an email, so let him and I fix this problem.
Old 01-25-2003, 11:16 PM
mvigod
Banned

Enough said on this one. I have posted clearly what the guidelines are for posting links here at RCU...it has worked well for the members and teh site for a year now so we're sticking with that. It allows the free flow of information while also preserving the quality of the board.

Thread closed