Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Wing question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:11 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing question

Hello everyone,

I got the bright idea to try to scratch out something that resembles a edge 540 with a 60"- 63" wing with somewhere around 800 sq inches of wing area. My question is all the plans I've looked at show the wing built in 2 pieces. Is that because no one uses 4'x8' sheets of coro or is there a benefit to making it that way.

I don't want any dihedral so would building a 63" wing out of one piece of coro work ok ?

Thanks,
John
Old 02-28-2008, 02:55 PM
ChrisSpad

Default RE: Wing question

To make a nice airfoil, the flutes need to run chordwise. And, you simply can't get coro wider than 48". Thats why they're all in 2 pieces.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:22 PM
wahoo

Thanks Chris,

I plane on using the yard stick laminated to the blue foam method.

What would happen if I ran the flutes span wise ?

John
Old 02-28-2008, 03:50 PM
draftman1

on an RNAF wing, the bottom sheet is spanwise. I tried to run the flutes spanwise on the top and it started to fold everywere and it didnt lay down right. the debonair uses a one peice wing but it is really 2 peices butted together. that works good also the spar can be made flat with no dihedral if you wanted. if you dont know what an RNAF wing is, it is 4 mill on the bottom and 2 mill on the top, it shaves a little weight off and it works real well. RNAF stands for red neck air foil or air force, take your pick. go to spadtothebone and spad world for tons of info
Old 02-28-2008, 04:36 PM
wahoo

Well i think I came up with an idea...be it good or bad I'm going to try to make the wing with the flutes running span wise and to keep its shape I'll make 6 wing ribs out of blue foam insulation and space them out along the spar.

Like I said I want this to kind of look like a edge 540 so what I think I'll do is keep the leading edge of the wing straight and make the trailing edge taper as it reaches the tip. While I'm at it I think I'll try to taper the wing chord wise also. Hmm a double taper coro wing...has anyone done this before ?
Am i crazy for thinking it can be done ?

John
Old 02-29-2008, 04:07 PM
huck1199

Nothing wrong with spanwise flutes. See the Spadflyer at Spadflyer.com. You can buy a 48" wing from him pre-bilt and modify it to your liking. I bought the kit and love it. Crashed a bunch of times and the wing is still good; very tough. I can send you pics of the wing if the website pics don't show what you need to see. It is a flat bottom, with a nice air foil.

Huck
Old 03-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, it can be done.

HERE is the BF109 I built. The wing TE tapers forward and the chord tapers toward the tip.