Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Remote suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:06 PM
rob73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote suggestions

Hey all,

I am new to this, but would like to get started. I am wanting to build one of the bigger sized planes. I need some suggestions on a remote, receiver and servo brands. I have searched the web, and the information is quite frankly....overwhelming! I would like some suggestions on a 5 channel remote. The plane I wanted to build requires 5 channels and 8 servos. Could someone please give me suggestions on a descent brand of hardware to get started with? Now, I dont need the best performer in the bunch, but I dont want the el'cheapo either. Just something that a beginner would be satisfied with.

I have checked around here locally and I can get 4x8 sheets of coroplast, and I just so happen to have some poly, plastic gutter parts and some vinyl fence scraps in the garage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I dont know where to get started on the remote and receiver area.

Thanks in advance!

Rob
Old 10-15-2008, 10:49 PM
draftman1

Default RE: Remote suggestions

welcome. I am assuming that you are new to r/c, correct? a little info on radios. 4 and 6 channel are the most popular but 7 and up are very common also. right now the 6 channel would serve your needs for a long time. what plane are you looking at that needs 5 channels and why does it need 5 chanels. does it have flaps or retracts? most basic planes need 4 channels. Some planes require 2 servoes used on a single channel. thats what it sounds like on the set up you wanting. Any of the radio brands are good. just make sure its not a park flier radio. But back to the basics. if you have never flown before, you really need to go to your local clubs and get more info and some flight training. you will need a trainer to start out with and nothing else! keep your eyes off of the pretty planes and focus on a trainer. the SPAD debonair is probably the best trainer out there and cheap and easy to build. you are always welcome on the SPAD thread. check out the beginer thread and spadworld.net for spad info. thats were the spadders hang out. good luck and get some local assistance
Old 10-16-2008, 07:26 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most radios that you buy will come with everything that you will need. If you are going to use a fifth channel you will need to get a seperate servo as most all radio's only come with 4 servos. I prefer Futaba radios myself. Good Luck, Dave
Old 10-16-2008, 07:45 AM
rob73

yep, you are correct! I am new to to the hobby! I was looking at the bigger plane on spadtothebone.com, the spadstick actually. It said it needs 5 channels. Ailerons, elevator, rudder, throttle & flaps. Along with 8 servos. I want to build one of the big planes. It interests me and i have a few weedwackers that i have bought over the years and found very uncomfortable to use. This would make a perfect way to get some use out of them! I may start with one of the different planes though, since i havent flown any planes. Still, I was unsure of hardware even on one of the basic ones.

Dave, I saw some adds for the Futaba radios and they looked good and didnt seem unreasonable in price. But, I really dont know what is a good price so that you say you like em helps me a bunch!

Do you guys have any favorite online vendors for things like whells & props? If i build the spadstick with the weedtrimmer engine, how do you determine which prop to use? I was actually gonna just try a few different ones, but surely there is a proper way to pick one.....

Thanks for the replys!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Villa

Since it appears you have not yet learned to fly an R/C airplane, I suggest you look up a local club and join them. Most clubs teach flying at no cost. Clubs in your area can be found thru http://www.modelaircraft.org/

The AMA is what most of us belong to and is a requirement for joining most clubs.

It is best to learn to fly with a trainer plane. The club can help you select one and all of the required equipment.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:35 PM
draftman1

amen to villa. you have to learn to crawl before you can learn to fly!!
Old 10-16-2008, 02:55 PM
rob73

Thanks for the link. I searched for clubs in my area, and I had no idea there were so many places so close flying model planes! That is great.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:28 PM
AGR413
My Feedback: (1)

Bite the bullet and buy a good transmitter like the x9303.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:25 AM
cncswiss1

build a deb from the sttb site, it is a great trainer, and once you master it the 46 engine and gear from it can b used on a spadstick. then a 3dt after you master the stick..

I will tell you is that everybody who gets a cheap radio at the start will end up buying a better one later on. so buy the best you can afford, futaba and spektrum (JR) make good 2.4 ghz radios. not having to worry about interference is nice, and the spektrum stuff keeps you from selecting the wrong model program when switching planes.

IMHO, build a [link=http://www.spadtothebone.com/freeplans.htm]debonair[/link] power it with a [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKF97&P=0]TT46[/link] and get a [link=http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM6600]solid entrylevel computer radio[/link] . then you need [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL421&P=0]pit gear[/link] and a [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZA003]starter[/link]

I used tower because it was easy and fast for penning a post, they are easy to use, but you may find cheaper elsewhere.